Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times

Advertisements

I have a summer job giving pony rides which is great BUT it can be very hot leading my horse around in the sun. Whenever I don't have kids I take the horse and myself into the shade, but, sometimes we have a lot of customers and I have no choice. I'm right in the sun all afternoon and I have to make sure my horse is watered. It seems like every single time I am very hot and have what I beleive is heat rash on my legs. Is this dangerous? I'm trying to wear a hat, light clothing, sunblock and drink plenty of water. I get under shade anytime I don't have customers, but, at times I simply cannot seek shade Are there people that can't tolerate the heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
I have a really difficult time with heat.
I spend time in Idaho during the summer and the intensity of the sun and the heat just slays me.
And you've got the humid heat of New England which can be even more difficult to deal with (although i can't stand dry heat .... i'd rather deal with 90% humidity than 20%) and it's that humid heat, i believe, that causes or makes more likely the heat rash or prickly heat.
Are your clothes not only really light and breathable but soft and 100% cotton?
If you're wearing synthetic fibers, i'd switch that over to all cotton.
You say that you "try" to wear a hat.
I'd say, always wear a hat and one with a big brim that covers your entire face and even your neck.
I know you said you wear sun-block but covering your face and head from the suns heat is a must.
I don't wear sun-block so i don't know a lot about it but i'm wondering if the sun block you're using is causing some skin irritation? and that you might want to try a different brand. Just a thought.
And "plenty" of water might be different for you than it is for someone else.
I'd drink as much as you can even if it means you have to pee constantly.
(hello northern N.H. ... i used to live there )

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
We've been going through a serious humidity patch lately. The rash you are getting is probably just chafing; uber-moist sweaty skin + rubbing against clothing = chafing. Use cold water compresses on it after work and apply some aloe gel to soothe the redness. Same advice applies if it's a heat rash. Not dangerous, but if it gets bad enough it can get seepy and weepy, and then you have to worry about infection. But if it's just redness and some stinging, you're probably not in any danger at all.

Definitely keep drinking water, but also have a -little- something salty around midway through your shift. Like one of those little individual snack-sized packets of salted pretzels. Sodium can actually be a -good- thing if you are sweating a lot, as long as you don't overdo it. When I was a kid in summer camp (super-high physical activity level), we had to take salt tablets on humid days or we'd all end up passing out.

Hat with a brim, can get a cotton mesh or straw hat, in a light color. Wear light -colored- clothing; the sun will feel like it's burning your skin if you wear dark. So faded bluejeans vs. new indigos. It really -does- make a difference. And if you wear boots with the ponies, make sure they're leather, and see if a Dr. Scholl's charcoal insert will help your comfort level a little bit.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I have a really difficult time with heat.
I spend time in Idaho during the summer and the intensity of the sun and the heat just slays me.
And you've got the humid heat of New England which can be even more difficult to deal with (although i can't stand dry heat .... i'd rather deal with 90% humidity than 20%) and it's that humid heat, i believe, that causes or makes more likely the heat rash or prickly heat.
Are your clothes not only really light and breathable but soft and 100% cotton?
If you're wearing synthetic fibers, i'd switch that over to all cotton.
You say that you "try" to wear a hat.
I'd say, always wear a hat and one with a big brim that covers your entire face and even your neck.
I know you said you wear sun-block but covering your face and head from the suns heat is a must.
I don't wear sun-block so i don't know a lot about it but i'm wondering if the sun block you're using is causing some skin irritation? and that you might want to try a different brand. Just a thought.
And "plenty" of water might be different for you than it is for someone else.
I'd drink as much as you can even if it means you have to pee constantly.
(hello northern N.H. ... i used to live there )
thanks! I did mean to say I wear a hat all the time....sorry! I wear a straw cowboy hat

Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
A bandana dipped in ice water and wrapped around your neck may help cool you down. You could also keep a spray bottle of water in the cooler to mist you and the horse.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The rash you are getting is probably just chafing; uber-moist sweaty skin + rubbing against clothing = chafing.
I have some friends that use a product made for that, "body glide" I think. They tell me it does help with the chafing when they run or bike, might be worth a look.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Sports shops sell sommething bicyclists use, don’t know the name.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Aptor hours.....sunblock can sometimes be blamed for the rash.....try wearing none for a couple of days with some light pants to protect you from the sun....I easily get rashes from sunblock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness