Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

I have been dealing with a kidney stone for the past week that simply does not want to pass. Heavy pain medication has made it more tolerable. My doctor did additional bloodwork on Friday to check my kidney function. His nurse called me early this morning saying that I needed an urgent urologist appointment because I have a high WBC and low platlets. An antibiotic has been called in for me.

My question is about the low platelets. Is this is something of grave concern or typical for kidney infections? They have asked that I stay on bed rest for now. Since I could not get an appointment with a urologist for another week, I wonder if I need my doctor to intervene at this point to get me something sooner. Any experiences of this same nature could help ease my concern. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I have been dealing with a kidney stone for the past week that simply does not want to pass. Heavy pain medication has made it more tolerable. My doctor did additional bloodwork on Friday to check my kidney function. His nurse called me early this morning saying that I needed an urgent urologist appointment because I have a high WBC and low platlets. An antibiotic has been called in for me.

My question is about the low platelets. Is this is something of grave concern or typical for kidney infections? They have asked that I stay on bed rest for now. Since I could not get an appointment with a urologist for another week, I wonder if I need my doctor to intervene at this point to get me something sooner. Any experiences of this same nature could help ease my concern. TIA.
Sounds like you may have an infection. I had a severe one due to issues with one of my kidneys back in March and I was hospitalized for 11 days on IV antibiotics. (It was not a typical kidney infection but rather an infection caused by my kidney which was also infected. ) I went into the hospital to have an out patient procedure to place a drain in the infection site and they ended up keeping me 11 days. My urologist had to call in an Infectious Disease Doctor to treat the infection. Once home, I stayed on the antibiotics by doing an IV push (picc line) for almost a month to take care of the infection. My wbc was 22,000 or 27,000 (cant remember which) before going into the hospital. It took about 2 months for the infection to be cleared up.

Did your Dr prescribe Cipro? I wasn't able to use it as the infection I had was resistant to it.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLlovesRaleighwood View Post
Sounds like you may have an infection. I had a severe one due to issues with one of my kidneys back in March and I was hospitalized for 11 days on IV antibiotics. (It was not a typical kidney infection but rather an infection caused by my kidney which was also infected. ) I went into the hospital to have an out patient procedure to place a drain in the infection site and they ended up keeping me 11 days. My urologist had to call in an Infectious Disease Doctor to treat the infection. Once home, I stayed on the antibiotics by doing an IV push (picc line) for almost a month to take care of the infection. My wbc was 22,000 or 27,000 (cant remember which) before going into the hospital. It took about 2 months for the infection to be cleared up.

Did your Dr prescribe Cipro? I wasn't able to use it as the infection I had was resistant to it.
Yes, but I had a terrible reaction to it and am now on Bactrim. Mine was classified as odd as well because it didn't start as UTI that became a kidney infection. It's just in my kidney as far as they can tell. So far, on the antibiotic, I haven't relief from the pain but that could be because of the kidney stones too! I'm anxious to see the urolgist on Monday to at least attempt and take care of it. I really, really don't want to end up in the hospital. I'm supposed to go on vacation in two weeks!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, but I had a terrible reaction to it and am now on Bactrim. Mine was classified as odd as well because it didn't start as UTI that became a kidney infection. It's just in my kidney as far as they can tell. So far, on the antibiotic, I haven't relief from the pain but that could be because of the kidney stones too! I'm anxious to see the urolgist on Monday to at least attempt and take care of it. I really, really don't want to end up in the hospital. I'm supposed to go on vacation in two weeks!
My pain was awful until the antibiotic cleared it up. I lived for every 4 hours so I could take my pain meds. Unfortunately, my right kidney is non-functioning and will have the removed. My surgery is scheduled for Sept so I am on Bactrim until then.

I wish you luck and hope it is only kidney stones.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
My pain was awful until the antibiotic cleared it up. I lived for every 4 hours so I could take my pain meds. Unfortunately, my right kidney is non-functioning and will have the removed. My surgery is scheduled for Sept so I am on Bactrim until then.

I wish you luck and hope it is only kidney stones.
My mother had a similar issue where she had a bad kidney infection but no stones. Her pain was quite severe, comparable to what I have been dealing with.

I know what you're talking about with the living for every 4 hours...that's me completely right now. I'm hoping my pain is indeed from my stones because that would be the easiest, I imagine, to resolve in the least amount of time.

My concern is with my deteriorating blood work and the low platelets. I am hoping that doesn't portend something bad. After this level of pain I have been dealing with, I cannot imagine how people live day in and day out with chronic kidney issues. Every ounce of my empathy goes out to you!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
My mother had a similar issue where she had a bad kidney infection but no stones. Her pain was quite severe, comparable to what I have been dealing with.

I know what you're talking about with the living for every 4 hours...that's me completely right now. I'm hoping my pain is indeed from my stones because that would be the easiest, I imagine, to resolve in the least amount of time.

My concern is with my deteriorating blood work and the low platelets. I am hoping that doesn't portend something bad. After this level of pain I have been dealing with, I cannot imagine how people live day in and day out with chronic kidney issues. Every ounce of my empathy goes out to you!
I just went back and looked at my lab results (I can pull them up through Duke Medicine's Healthview) from the first day I was admitted in the hospital (when I was the sickest) and it showed a platelet count of 823. The reference range the lab used was 150 - 400. Clearly that means my platelet levels were very elevated. But, the numbers do confuse me. When I google platelet counts, it talks about counts in the thousands but my lab results listed the counts in the hundreds and the reference range (normal range) were in the hundreds as well. I looked at later labwork results done roughly a month later and the platelet counts had come down to 306 which were in the normal range. Assuming my high count had to do with infection, I don't know what having a low count could mean.

I am scared about my upcoming surgery but I try to think positive. When I was first told I needed it, I was very upset even though I knew that a person could lead a normal life with only one kidney. I just hope my other one remains healthy.

How long have you been on antibiotics? Have you had a CT scan or ultrasound? Thank goodness I do not have any pain now since the infection cleared up. Did your Dr prescribe Percocet?

Last edited by Sweet*Tea; 07-20-2011 at 02:48 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I just went back and looked at my lab results (I can pull them up through Duke Medicine's Healthview) from the first day I was admitted in the hospital (when I was the sickest) and it showed a platelet count of 823. The reference range the lab used was 150 - 400. Clearly that means my platelet levels were very elevated. But, the numbers do confuse me. When I google platelet counts, it talks about counts in the thousands but my lab results listed the counts in the hundreds and the reference range (normal range) were in the hundreds as well. I looked at later labwork results done roughly a month later and the platelet counts had come down to 306 which were in the normal range. Assuming my high count had to do with infection, I don't know what having a low count could mean.

I am scared about my upcoming surgery but I try to think positive. When I was first told I needed it, I was very upset even though I knew that a person could lead a normal life with only one kidney. I just hope my other one remains healthy.

How long have you been on antibiotics? Have you had a CT scan or ultrasound? Thank goodness I do not have any pain now since the infection cleared up. Did your Dr prescribe Percocet?
Yes, he gave me Percocet and Zofran (love that stuff!!). I've been on the antibiotic Bactrim for two days now since I switched over. I did have a CT scan and have nearly 20 kidney stones. Doctor thinks I just don't pass them for some reason. Larger one in the upper pole of my right kidney, which appears to be the infected kidney. Yeah, I wished I asked more questions when they called me with the bloodwork results but I've been so darn out of it with all these pain killers!

When I google low platelet counts, I see nothing good. But the doctor thinks it is caused by my kidneys. I have some decent bruising on my back near my kidneys, which I think the low platelet count is causing. Pretty high white blood cell count but urine was clear of bacteria. That's why, with the CT scan results, they think it's just an infection in the kidneys. This actually took over 4 months to find. They kept thinking it was a problem with my stomach, like an ulcer. Wasn't until I was on a plane to San Diego that I started getting sick - really sick and was taken to the hospital in my layover location in Houston that it was found.

When the doctor said that I had almost 20 kidney stones, I thought he misspoke. I've only heard of people having one. They really want one to analyze it, that I know, because it seems this is pretty unusual.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, he gave me Percocet and Zofran (love that stuff!!). I've been on the antibiotic Bactrim for two days now since I switched over. I did have a CT scan and have nearly 20 kidney stones. Doctor thinks I just don't pass them for some reason. Larger one in the upper pole of my right kidney, which appears to be the infected kidney. Yeah, I wished I asked more questions when they called me with the bloodwork results but I've been so darn out of it with all these pain killers!

When I google low platelet counts, I see nothing good. But the doctor thinks it is caused by my kidneys. I have some decent bruising on my back near my kidneys, which I think the low platelet count is causing. Pretty high white blood cell count but urine was clear of bacteria. That's why, with the CT scan results, they think it's just an infection in the kidneys. This actually took over 4 months to find. They kept thinking it was a problem with my stomach, like an ulcer. Wasn't until I was on a plane to San Diego that I started getting sick - really sick and was taken to the hospital in my layover location in Houston that it was found.

When the doctor said that I had almost 20 kidney stones, I thought he misspoke. I've only heard of people having one. They really want one to analyze it, that I know, because it seems this is pretty unusual.
My kidney is filled with stones too. From what I understand, the stones caused the infection in the kidney which was so bad that it spilled out and into my lower back abdominal wall. It was very rough there for a while but now I am fine except for needing to have the bad kidney removed. I keep reminding myself that I only have one functioning kidney now anyway so having the surgery to remove one won't really change anything. When I think like that, it makes me much more able to come to terms with it.

I think that sometimes we can be our worst enemies when it comes to googling medical info. It can be frustrating at best and downright scary at worst. Hopefully, your urologist will diagnose the problem asap and get you started on a speedy recovery. I hope your pain eases so you can rest. I will send positive thoughts your way.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
My kidney is filled with stones too. From what I understand, the stones caused the infection in the kidney which was so bad that it spilled out and into my lower back abdominal wall. It was very rough there for a while but now I am fine except for needing to have the bad kidney removed. I keep reminding myself that I only have one functioning kidney now anyway so having the surgery to remove one won't really change anything. When I think like that, it makes me much more able to come to terms with it.

I think that sometimes we can be our worst enemies when it comes to googling medical info. It can be frustrating at best and downright scary at worst. Hopefully, your urologist will diagnose the problem asap and get you started on a speedy recovery. I hope your pain eases so you can rest. I will send positive thoughts your way.
Thank you so much and all the best to you as well. Oh and yes, google has its uses for understanding medical conditions but often serves to just scare the bejeezus out of you!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much and all the best to you as well. Oh and yes, google has its uses for understanding medical conditions but often serves to just scare the bejeezus out of you!

I admit I do love Google.

I hope you will post an update after your Drs visit. Take care and think positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness