Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:38 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

Other side of the coin which is animals themselves. I have never vaccinated any of my cats over 60 years. All have been indoor only pets. How are they going to ever get rabies? Humans biting them?

My cats lived to be 16+ years, including one to the age of 22 years old. Pretty good for never going to the Vet for vaccinations or checkups? Good food and good loving.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:23 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Other side of the coin which is animals themselves. I have never vaccinated any of my cats over 60 years. All have been indoor only pets. How are they going to ever get rabies? Humans biting them?

My cats lived to be 16+ years, including one to the age of 22 years old. Pretty good for never going to the Vet for vaccinations or checkups? Good food and good loving.
You are assuming no one in the world will ever have a cat that they intended to be an indoor only pet escape and get outside.

Vaccinate your pets against rabies folks.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:45 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48
Wow 22??

God bless her!!!!

I love kitty cats so much.........

Meow!!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:21 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
A very good story!!!

I wouldnt be surprised to find out this girl DOES NOT HAVE ANY VACCINES AT ALL.... Her immune system IS NOT COMPROMISED and therefore was able to properly deal with this!!!

I hope she is continuing to live a happy/healthy life!!
This post illustrates a total lack of understanding regarding the immune system as well as the Rabies virus.

On an interesting and educational note instead, this is a GREAT Podcast about how some lucky folks are able to naturally overcome this awful disease. Pretty cool, interesting, and a bit mysterious.
Rodney Versus Death - Radiolab

Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
This post illustrates a total lack of understanding regarding the immune system as well as the Rabies virus.

Actually the Dudes post illustrates a STRONG understanding regarding the immune system.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are assuming no one in the world will ever have a cat that they intended to be an indoor only pet escape and get outside.

Vaccinate your pets against rabies folks.
My very elderly cats (one is 20 years) have lived OUTSIDE their entire lives....none were ever vaccinated...none go to an expensive vet...none are contagious....all are very content.
Vaccinated pets are more of a danger to other pets, than those that aren't.
Parvo is spread through vaccination.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
God bless your kitty!!!!!!! -- Please give her a hug for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman
Actually the Dudes post illustrates a STRONG understanding regarding the immune system.
Indeed it most certainly does!!!

We have IMMUNE SYSTEMS for a reason... They should not be filled with crap that doesnt belong there!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:40 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Bats biting them. Ever had a bat get into the house? Or an accident where the cat slips outside and while out gets exposed.

Rabies isn't a disease to take chances with.

And as for the anti-vaccination bunk - how quickly people forget! In the days before immunizations were invented and everyone had this supposedly super-strong natural immune system, rabies was a terrifying disease, one people greatly feared, because it was 100% fatal. (And it still is, in many underdeveloped parts of the world.) Louis Pasteur was hailed as a near deity after his invention of an effective rabies vaccine (first successfully tested on a young French boy who had been bitten by a rabid dog), because for the first time in history a bite from a rabid animal was no longer an automatic death sentence.

Now the Milwaukee Protocol offers a sufferer a slim chance of survival (and with a bit more luck, no significant brain damage) but it's no guarantee. Better not to contract rabies at all.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:28 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
My very elderly cats (one is 20 years) have lived OUTSIDE their entire lives....none were ever vaccinated...none go to an expensive vet...none are contagious....all are very content.
Vaccinated pets are more of a danger to other pets, than those that aren't.
Parvo is spread through vaccination.
If the cats have never been to a vet, how do you know whether they have anything contagious?

Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) Symptoms, Vaccine, Treatment

"Feline leukemia is a disease that only affects cats -- it cannot be transmitted to people, dogs, or other animals. FeLV is passed from one cat to another through saliva, blood, and to some extent, urine and feces. The virus does not live long outside the cat’s body -- probably just a few hours. Grooming and fighting seem to be the commonest ways for infection to spread. Kittens can contract the disease in utero or through an infected mother’s milk. The disease is often spread by apparently healthy cats, so even if a cat appears healthy, it may be be infected and able to transmit the virus."

Vaccinating your cat | international cat care

Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I'm thinking that if it lived to the ripe old age of 22, it probably did not have FeLV. Or if it did, it did not impact its health.

Our indoor-only cat does not get vaccines other than rabies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness