U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,739,462 times

Advertisements

A great story here as last month an 8 year old girl was taken to the hospital after showing signs of paralysis which led to her being diagnosed with the deadly rabies virus that she contracted from a scratch by a stray feral cat. By the time she arrived it was too late to give her the rabies vaccine as her brain was already inflamed with the virus in it and so they basically waited for her to die and yet she survived as her Killer T- Cells had infiltrated her brain and destroyed the virus.

Back in 2004 a 15 year old teen Jeanna Giese had also survied the rabies infection after showing clinical signs as well.

California Girl Only Third in U.S. to Survive Rabies Without Vaccine - ABC News
Rate this post positively

Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM

26,154 posts, read 16,607,653 times
Smile *

A very good story!!!

I wouldnt be surprised to find out this girl DOES NOT HAVE ANY VACCINES AT ALL.... Her immune system IS NOT COMPROMISED and therefore was able to properly deal with this!!!

I hope she is continuing to live a happy/healthy life!!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 PM

4,952 posts, read 4,563,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
A very good story!!!

I wouldnt be surprised to find out this girl DOES NOT HAVE ANY VACCINES AT ALL.... Her immune system IS NOT COMPROMISED and therefore was able to properly deal with this!!!

OR.....she HAD gotten other vaccinations; therefore, her immune system was primed and ready to go.

I also hope she is having a happy/healthy life.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 PM

5,647 posts, read 11,816,556 times
Quote:
A very good story!!!

Clearly you haven't the slightest clue how a properly functioning immune system works....vaccines don't "compromise" an immune system

By the way, we are all bombarded CONSTANTLY by antigens on a daily basis, no different than vaccines that are administered...

You also have no clue on how the rabies "vaccine" is administered, unlike tetanus, DPT, MMR etc the rabies "vaccine" is actually prophylactic and is only given AFTER exposure, the fact that she hadn't already received the vaccine is normal...

People died every year in the US before rabies prophylaxis was available now the death rate is near 0 in this country..

But hey feel free to expose yourself to a rabid animal and not seek care if you feel so secure in your position....

Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 PM

28,581 posts, read 31,794,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
A great story here as last month an 8 year old girl was taken to the hospital after showing signs of paralysis which led to her being diagnosed with the deadly rabies virus that she contracted from a scratch by a stray feral cat. By the time she arrived it was too late to give her the rabies vaccine as her brain was already inflamed with the virus in it and so they basically waited for her to die and yet she survived as her Killer T- Cells had infiltrated her brain and destroyed the virus.

Back in 2004 a 15 year old teen Jeanna Giese had also survied the rabies infection after showing clinical signs as well.

California Girl Only Third in U.S. to Survive Rabies Without Vaccine - ABC News
You are saying she was not treated at all. That is not true. The patients in the US who have survived without the vaccine have all been treated.

The girl in your link was in intensive care in an induced coma.

"Doctors treated her with a regimen called the Milwaukee Protocol. It includes antiviral medications and a medically-induced coma to let the brain rest. It was the same regimen used to successfully treat a 15-year-old Wisconsin girl who had rabies in 2004. Despite its past success, doctors never expected Precious to leave the pediatric intensive care unit. She left that unit after two weeks, and is currently recovering in a general pediatric unit at the hospital."

Jeanna Giese was also treated with the same protocol.

In 2009, another teenage girl survived without intensive care; however, she did receive a single dose of rabies vaccine after being diagnosed.

However, there is evidence that some people may survive rabies without any treatment at all.

This study in Peru found antibodies to rabies in a small number of villagers regularly exposed to bats. The villagers had no history of symptoms of rabies and had never been vaccinated.

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/120915r.aspx

Hopefully these individuals will have testing to see if they have genes that make them resistant to rabies virus. We know there is such a gene for HIV, and there are people with evidence of asymptomatic Ebola infections.

As bluedevilz said, forgoing the rabies vaccine if one is exposed to a rabid or possibly rabid animal is a Very Bad Idea.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:44 AM

7,958 posts, read 7,288,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Clearly you haven't the slightest clue how a properly functioning immune system works....vaccines don't "compromise" an immune system

By the way, we are all bombarded CONSTANTLY by antigens on a daily basis, no different than vaccines that are administered...

You also have no clue on how the rabies "vaccine" is administered, unlike tetanus, DPT, MMR etc the rabies "vaccine" is actually prophylactic and is only given AFTER exposure, the fact that she hadn't already received the vaccine is normal...

People died every year in the US before rabies prophylaxis was available now the death rate is near 0 in this country..

But hey feel free to expose yourself to a rabid animal and not seek care if you feel so secure in your position....

heh.. there's a big "anti-vaccine" conspiracy theory crowd out there on the net that thinks the government is the big boogy-man trying to kill people with vaccines. Nothing to worry about, just ignore them.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 3,989,690 times
The protocol for treatment of rabies includes both a vaccine and a shot of the rabies immune globulin (RIG). They are both done in conjunction with each other and it starts first and foremost with the RIG shot, which is usually almost always administered in an ER setting. It's an extremely expensive medicine and its availability tends to be limited to large ER's and occasionally, Public Health Departments. Rabies shots are no longer the awful experience they used to be. No shots in the stomach or anything like that. RIG is intramuscular and usually given at multiple points in the body (thigh, buttocks) because of its large volume and dosing is based on weight.

At the same time you get the RIG shot, you also get the first of 4 vaccine shots. Then, on something like Days 3, 7 and 14 thereafter, you get the other 3 vaccine shots, which can be administered at the Public Health Dept or travel clinic and usually cost about $200-$300 per dose (unlike the RIG which is many thousands of dollars).

I believe you can, in fact, just get the vaccine proactively and not have to receive RIG if it's not in response to an actual exposure. I think many people who work with potentially rabid animals (vet office, animal control, exterminators etc) get rabies vaccinations every few years.

I had a potential bat exposure last year and chose to get the rabies shots. I went to the University Hospital in Denver because the County Health Dept said they were only one of 2 sites that carried the RIG in the entire city. Then, for the remaining 3 vaccination shots, I just went to the County Health Dept and paid cash. I probably didn't need the shots, but better safe than sorry. Rabies is a disease that is virtually 100% fatal, the above story notwithstanding. However, as PP's have indicated, it kills almost nobody in this country because of the protocol now available.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:26 AM

6,447 posts, read 4,306,511 times
I'm glad the girl survived! What an ordeal for her and her family.

This is in the news because almost everyone who does get rabies dies from it. If you're bitten/scratched by a rabid animal (or even a potentially rabid animal), it's so very important to get the vaccines. The risk of a deadly reaction to that vaccine is extremely small; the risk of a deadly end to having rabies is almost 100%.

We selectively vaccinated our children when they were small, so I totally understand being overly cautious with vaccines, but this is not one to decide to skip if you have a possible exposure to rabies!

Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 AM

13,291 posts, read 16,599,134 times
Quote:
A very good story!!!

Just your saying that could change the whole course of the original post....you're right though.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 AM

26,154 posts, read 16,607,653 times
Yup I know I am and many ppl are sadly fed BS and they blindly believe it and thats sad......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.