Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times

Advertisements

for those with knee pain how do you manage it? I cannot take nsaids due to a history of ulcers and Tylenol doesn’t work. PT hasn’t helped the pain though I’m still doing it and the cortisone injections have been epic fails. Ice works but I can’t sit around all the time. Narcotic help but I don’t want to take them for the next 7 weeks either...any suggestions? I’m open to any suggestions. I have used Voltarin gel and that didn’t really work either nor did stim or massage. I’ve had two prior surgeries on my knee and am only in my 30s. Working with my orthopedic but looking for suggestions from anyone who may have them. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
What's the problem with briefly taking narcotics? You surely in pain and could rest better and get around in the meantime. If injections were no help and you can't take NSAIDS....

They are prescribed for a reason...pain relief for people like you.

You would not be an abuser.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:27 AM

466 posts, read 581,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
for those with knee pain how do you manage it? I cannot take nsaids due to a history of ulcers and Tylenol doesn’t work. PT hasn’t helped the pain though I’m still doing it and the cortisone injections have been epic fails. Ice works but I can’t sit around all the time. Narcotic help but I don’t want to take them for the next 7 weeks either...any suggestions? I’m open to any suggestions. I have used Voltarin gel and that didn’t really work either nor did stim or massage. I’ve had two prior surgeries on my knee and am only in my 30s. Working with my orthopedic but looking for suggestions from anyone who may have them. Thanks in advance!
My SIL is slightly overweight & waiting for hip replacement here in the UK I suggested she drink artemisia annua made into a tea - seems to work "dulling" the ache but does not remove the pain completely, perhaps you could give it a try??

Old 04-02-2018, 10:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
OP: What I do and I have a lot of years of knee issues that I've talked about here...the knee has been pretty damaged with OA and then a nasty infection that went undiagnosed for months..long story.
I was given a arthroscopic clean out while in hospital last year and I think it's worse from that clean out...they just clean out more cartilage each time....knee replacements are likely after all these arthroscopic jobs.

What I hear all the time from a doctor here is that cortisone "softens" cartilage. These may help but very temporary and then the longterm damage.

Since you are so young with all the issues, replacement may be your way....but if you could look into PRP/Stem Cells, they could save the knee...Find Regenerative Medicine Doctors - GetProlo.com

I've come to believe the more surgeries, the more damages done. Since my hip replacement in 2010, my whole right side of body is a mess. It was right hip.

What I use to save my knee from more surgery is: Cosamin DS, Higher Doses Omega 3's and will be adding Curcumin soon again.

Did you do a lot of sports? My grandkids do and I think about their future joints..but can't control their lives. I moved a lot in my live but didn't go overboard but still damage.

I'm far from any doctor but have been working with my health and headed to 80 this year. Good luck to you.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-02-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
Thank you!! I ran marathons for years while I was younger with improper alignment along with a slew of other sports and trashed my knees. I do the glucosamine supplements as well as arnica too, forgot to include those earlier.

I know it’s ok to do the opioids short term but just don’t love the idea. Would prefer to find any other alternative to make it tolerable so as not to limit my mobility too much so I maintain the muscle strength that I have.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:57 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Going on almost two years from knee surgery, I have accepted that the pain will ever go away and it will never be fully functional like before.

I had meniscus surgery. The pain isn't as bad now as it was prior to surgery and six months after surgery, but if I over exert myself I can feel a sharp pain. I no longer run or do barbell squats.

What helped was PT exercises. Hip thrusters, leg press, bodyweight squats to parallel, reverse knee lunges. And I also use heating blanket on my knee everyday after work. Heating is better than icing for me. So while knee pain will never be go away it has gotten better.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:43 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Have you tried Capsaicin? It seems to work for some people. You have to apply it four times a day, every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness