Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:37 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that when we're younger we treat our bodies as recklessly as we drive our cars. Whether it's depriving ourselves of healthy food to get an instant visual satisfaction of seeing our bodies "thinner" or gorging ourselves by emotional eating. Most of us are guilty of one or the other, if not both. Never considering the damage we are doing to ourselves and that our older,wiser self will have to pay the price for us later.

The natural process of aging is a breaking down of cells, muscle and bone. When we start to loose our body mass our bodies are much more suseptible to disease and chronic illnesses and how we lived our younger life will determine how rapidly and fiercly our body breaks down. (Genetics plays a role too, but all too often used as an excuse) The good news is that we can keep this natural breakdown at bay by taking care of our bodies through the inside out. Eating foods high in nutrients and excercising is what our body needs to continue to stay strong. Just as it is with saving for our retirement, the earlier we start the more gains we will make over time.

As we age we start to become more comfortable in our skin and value our bodies more. Do we take into consideration what our present actions are doing to our older self? *warning* (this part may weird you out, take into consideration that I live in northern california) Today I was able to see a glimpse of my "senior self" (yes she was hot) and it was a perfect reminder that I need to take care of myself now, in order to care for her (my senior self) later. I think I've always thought that I may die young so I don't need to worry

We all know that excercise doesn't guarantee a long life, just makes the life you have more enjoyable, but have you ever really thought about what you will be like when you are far past your prime? Have you ever said "I'll start excercising one day, or I'll starve myself tomorrow so I can binge today?"

Our bodies are mirror images of what's going on with us psychologically as well as genetically. It's important for us to have balance and forget about focusing on the here and now body (including obsessing about fitting into a certain size of clothing or a number on the scale). Think about your present actions as an investment for a healthy future. And the next time you want to smoke a cigerette or binge on cake/fries/whatever, you may want to ask your 70 year old self how they feel about it.

PS Oh yeah, and I think I need to start a retirement fund now, we don't want my future self to have to rely on the government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 01:33 AM

292 posts, read 993,336 times
Great thread Moonsavvy.

I think of it like this. My body is a temple, a place of holiness. So... I ask, "What do I what do I want bring into my Holy Temple." Also "How do I maintain my Holy Temple?" So far through diet and exercising my temple is da Bomb.

Now moon, exactly how did you have this vision of your self in the future? Dream? Chemisrty? Ouija Board?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Moonsavvy....In all my years of reading Muscle and Health and Fitness and Longevity magazines etc..and such i have never read an more Eloquent and thought provoking statement about ''Where we'll be at 70 or older'' that you written. I wish the major Fitness Magazines could have read what you written and inserted into their material. Again a great thread and post as all of us will eventually face the Piper in the reality of getting OLD.....

harry!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorst View Post
Great thread Moonsavvy.

I think of it like this. My body is a temple, a place of holiness. So... I ask, "What do I what do I want bring into my Holy Temple." Also "How do I maintain my Holy Temple?" So far through diet and exercising my temple is da Bomb.

Now moon, exactly how did you have this vision of your self in the future? Dream? Chemisrty? Ouija Board?
Ahh you said the "O" board, no it wasn't that, I haven't touched one of those since I was a kid and when I did it scarred me for life.

So you want details eh? Welcome to my madness. Actually I am a visionary person if you will but this was just a glimpse, not really a full vision. I was in a group of "recovering souls" and I saw myself as a much older person sitting across the room. She (the older me) was wearing a pashmina (that's a wrap that goes around your shoulders) and looked very dignified yet soft. I think I still had long hair but it was pulled up and silverish and I was wearing jewelry. The glimpse was not clear it was a little hazy and seemed to be in a different realm. Anyway I thought to myself "wow I want to be her"

I thought about PMing this to you, but then I thought what the heck why not share it, it's personal but I don't mind if I get a little public criticism for it.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Moonsavvy....In all my years of reading Muscle and Health and Fitness and Longevity magazines etc..and such i have never read an more Eloquent and thought provoking statement about ''Where we'll be at 70 or older'' that you written. I wish the major Fitness Magazines could have read what you written and inserted into their material. Again a great thread and post as all of us will eventually face the Piper in the reality of getting OLD.....

harry!
Thanks Harry, I appreciate the compliments, wow!

Can you say it again, I really enjoy hearing a little praise. Ha ha J/K

Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Well moonsavvy, I partially agree with you. What you do when you are younger can impact what you look like and feel like as you age, but it can also create difficulties too.

Eating is something that I have seen conflicting studies with mixed conclusions. Personally, I know a few veggie/health food fanatics who deteriorated rapidly, and one who died fairly young. I also know some eating garbage pits who live very healthy lives into their mid-80's (so far) and have no ill effect from the Philly hoagy and cheesesteak diets. My own take on it is that it probably is a good idea to keep your weight moderate, but enjoy a mix of foods including a good burrito now and then.

Exercise is another interesting item. I'm in my mid 50's and have been an avid weight lifter, exercise biker and exercise rower for over 35 years, and my body is still breaking down. I find that injuries are getting far more frequent, and recovery takes much longer. I also find that getting back to decent levels becomes more difficult, and joints don't take to lots of exercise the way muscles and bone do. So overall, I'm glad I've done it, but it has a mixed bag of results.

My 80 year old dad has the best combo routine. He reads the news in the paper, listens to talk radio, and then gets so mad he has to go outside and take a mile plus walk to let go of his steam. He is in the best shape of anybody I know. I keep trying to get him to use the computer we gave him, I figure if he gets on to our C-D Politics and Other Controversies area and participates in the discussions he may live forever...

Old 08-12-2007, 01:57 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
Hi, I will very lucky to live to 70 with all my medical conditions.

John

Old 08-12-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
... I was in a group of "recovering souls"

I thought about PMing this to you, but then I thought what the heck why not share it, it's personal but I don't mind if I get a little public criticism for it.

Interesting, I hang out with "recovering souls" also.
Thanks for sharing moonsavvy.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I will very lucky to live to 70 with all my medical conditions.

John
If it's going to be a short one, I hope you are living a full life to the best of your ability.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:10 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I also subscibe to the theory of low to moderate Insulin levels as we age to get into Longevity. Insulin not only shuttles Glucose into Cells for energy but also stores it as Triglycerides (fat) that which isn't burned for ATP (energy). When we're young and in Puberty and early 20's it helps foster our growth but into our 30's/40's/50's etc...it can really damage and prematurely age us....

A cool article about Insulin levels and Aging....
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=healthNews&storyid=2007-07-19T182700Z_01_N19223076_RTRUKOC_0_US-AGING-INSULIN.xml (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness