U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 AM
 
2,039 posts, read 5,229,386 times
Reputation: 1214

Advertisements

Any suggestions...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 AM
 
Location: beneath the moon & stars
58 posts, read 141,807 times
Reputation: 165
50mg DHEA has worked for me, not entirely gone yet but I've noticed a significant change in duration and intensity. I've heard good things about Black Cohosh too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
33,514 posts, read 35,424,648 times
Reputation: 40052
DHEA may help hot flashes, but it does so by increasing estrogen and testosterone levels. It really should only be taken under the care of a physician who can monitor for uterine and breast cancer. It is likely no safer than taking estrogen.

No herbal products have definitively been shown to reliably help with hot flashes.

See here on black cohosh:

Black Cohosh a Bust for Hot Flashes

See here for basic info on hot flashes and treatment:

Hot flashes - MayoClinic.com

The risks associated with estrogen are real. The fact is that the only thing that will significantly help hot flashes is estrogen. You may want to talk with your gynecologist about the pros and cons.

The good news is that for the majority of women the hot flashes eventually go away, usually in about a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 10,158,512 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
DHEA may help hot flashes, but it does so by increasing estrogen and testosterone levels. It really should only be taken under the care of a physician who can monitor for uterine and breast cancer. It is likely no safer than taking estrogen.

No herbal products have definitively been shown to reliably help with hot flashes.

See here on black cohosh:

Black Cohosh a Bust for Hot Flashes

See here for basic info on hot flashes and treatment:

Hot flashes - MayoClinic.com

The risks associated with estrogen are real. The fact is that the only thing that will significantly help hot flashes is estrogen. You may want to talk with your gynecologist about the pros and cons.

The good news is that for the majority of women the hot flashes eventually go away, usually in about a year.
Remifemin (Black Cohosh) has been well-studied and used in Europe for over 50 years with great success. I used it for 5 years when I began having hot flashes, and it worked great.

I would not discount it based on this post. I would give it a try. What works for one may not work for another. I have read tons of reviews that were extremely positive. I was introduced to it by a Doctor of Chinese Medicine who studied in both the USA and China.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM
 
15,566 posts, read 18,662,810 times
Reputation: 25868
Starting this past May I was having terrible hot flashes, sometimes as many as 15-20 times per day. In the last couple of weeks they have abated for the most part and I'm not sure why. I did cut my hair super short, in part because it's so hot outside and in part because the HF's seemed to start in my head. Don't know if that had anything to do with them slowing or stopping or not, but it did feel like I was taking a big wool hat off my head when I got it cut.

Other than that, I kept ice water around all the time and bought a big fan to blow on me at night and that seemed to help. I also go sleeveless or short-sleeved as much as possible and was able to crank the temp down in my office to 68.

I'm not anti-hormone replacement, but just had not gotten around to making the doctor appt. when I started feeling better. Hopefully your HF's will abate soon as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
33,514 posts, read 35,424,648 times
Reputation: 40052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Remifemin (Black Cohosh) has been well-studied and used in Europe for over 50 years with great success. I used it for 5 years when I began having hot flashes, and it worked great.

I would not discount it based on this post. I would give it a try. What works for one may not work for another. I have read tons of reviews that were extremely positive. I was introduced to it by a Doctor of Chinese Medicine who studied in both the USA and China.

Testimonials do not prove black cohosh works. Remember, hot flashes go away with no treatment at all for most women. Black cohosh fails when tested against placebo.

By the way, over the counter does not necessarily mean safer. There have been case reports of liver problems in women taking black cohosh.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-27-2011 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Add comment
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
 
2,039 posts, read 5,229,386 times
Reputation: 1214
I am on year 5!


See here on black cohosh:

Black Cohosh a Bust for Hot Flashes

See here for basic info on hot flashes and treatment:

Hot flashes - MayoClinic.com

The risks associated with estrogen are real. The fact is that the only thing that will significantly help hot flashes is estrogen. You may want to talk with your gynecologist about the pros and cons.

The good news is that for the majority of women the hot flashes eventually go away, usually in about a year.[/quote]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 04:34 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 5,660,498 times
Reputation: 11722
I just lived with it as I had blood clots years ago and can't take anything. But really wouldn't even if I could. Black Cohosh is hogwash in my opinion. Wild yam stuff is ridiculous. Drink ice water and kow that they will become less often... after a few years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,490 posts, read 24,274,948 times
Reputation: 27862
One of my friends had a remedy she swore by...when she had a hot flash, she stuck her head in the freezer for a minute or so....where she kept a bottle of Crown Royal with a straw
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 06:35 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 10,158,512 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Testimonials do not prove black cohosh works. Remember, hot flashes go away with no treatment at all for most women. Black cohosh fails when tested against placebo.

By the way, over the counter does not necessarily mean safer. There have been case reports of liver problems in women taking black cohosh.

Never stated testimonials prove anything. Never stated over the counter products are safe.

Liver problems were few, and there were unknowns such as drinking habits, etc. But I agree with the warning until future studies prove otherwise. Women using Black Cohosh products should be aware and be supervised by their doctors.

There are no really great studies in the U.S. regarding Black Cohosh. The controls during the studies weren't great, and did not include enough women for any length of time. I understand a new study with better controls is being conducted.

Depending on which study you look at you will get different results, even with the placebos. I've read some that say it works, and others that say it doesn't.

All I am saying is Remifemin worked great for my hot flashes. I used it without any problems. That was 15 years ago. I have no liver problems.

Last edited by Beth56; 07-28-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top