Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,072,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
months. It’s not like I can get another doctor, there aren’t any accepting new patients that take the program I am on. The ER tells me to see my primary care doctor.

This whole situation is very frightening. I am 55 years old, have worked my whole life, raised two kids on my own, and now am forced to sit by and be treated like this. I have called everywhere to get help, to find another doctor, anything. I thought doctors took an oath to “do no harm?” Isn’t holding a prescription hostage for an unnecessary office visit to get $$$ considered harmful in this country anymore? I call it extortion. What would you call it?
That's the ticket. With the crappy reimbursement that the state is probably giving this guy, he's probably having to make it up on volume...so he's less attentive...I mean, he's probably seeing 50 patients a day to even make it worth his time.

With the litigation atmosphere out there, overtesting is more the norm. And, for all you know, the state program requires him to do that before he can write you another script (withholding authorization).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,777,079 times
alot of state based programs require monthly followups for perscription refill.
i know here in ct even on medicaid, (even on medicare) there are rules in terms of follow up visits, everytime blood is tested you are supposed to GO to the dr for the results and perscription refills ect.

as stan said.
mabe the office is doing what it has to to continue taking the state funded program...

you mght want to look into americares free clinics and see if theres one neer you.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 PM

302 posts, read 471,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Of course the doctor is not going to give a prescription without examining the patient .Most continuing care requires a visit every three months to dispense medicaine under prescription.There are reasons the prescription law requires you be seen and he write the need. Its the law ;basically.
I totally understand the need for lab tests before prescribing meds, not only for the doctors' protection but for the consumers' as well. In my past experience (almost 10 years) a thyroid test is only required every 6 months, not every 6 weeks. I had the labs last week, 6 weeks before that, and 6 weeks before that. In all the time I have seen this doctor he has never ONCE examined me nor laid a finger on me, even to check the swelling in my ankles and knees or the huge rheumatoid nodules on my elbows. No doubt he would not examine me this time either, simply sit there with his laptop and appear confused as to why I am there like he usually does. He doesn't want to examine me, he wants a co-pay.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 AM

36,971 posts, read 40,923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Get real---medical schools don't provide low-cost nor "free" medical care. I've gone to Baylor in Houston, they are some of the highrst bills I've even incurred!

the OP probably doesn't qualify for medicaid because her income is too high, and doesn't qualify for medicare yet because there's a 2.5 year waiting period, and even with medicare, meds aren't automatically covered, that's part B for doctor visit and Part D for prescriptions, all which take at least anothe $150/month out of a pitiful SSDI check. She's simply SOL---sorry, OP!
From your other posts, you do have insurance. Your deductibles and copayments are part of your contract with your insurance company.

The OP's situation is different. If you read my entire post, I suggested that she call, explain her situation, and see if there is someone who might be able to help her find out if she qualifies for any assistance beyond what she is already receiving. I said, "When you call, they should be able to link you with someone who can find out what financial assistance you may be eligible for." They will have someone, possibly a social worker, who will be able to go over the OP's resources and help her.

I agree with AnonChick that the Medicaid issue should be investigated further.

Saying that the OP is "SOL" is not very helpful. She won't know unless she calls.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:40 AM

10,103 posts, read 19,305,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From your other posts, you do have insurance. Your deductibles and copayments are part of your contract with your insurance company.

The OP's situation is different. If you read my entire post, I suggested that she call, explain her situation, and see if there is someone who might be able to help her find out if she qualifies for any assistance beyond what she is already receiving. I said, "When you call, they should be able to link you with someone who can find out what financial assistance you may be eligible for." They will have someone, possibly a social worker, who will be able to go over the OP's resources and help her.

Saying that the OP is "SOL" is not very helpful. She won't know unless she calls.

I've been in contact with the OP and offered her suggestions I simply don't want to post here. Saying she's SOL wasn't directed at her but at the situation---she knows that!.

Her situation is that her SSDI is "too much" to qualify for medicaid. You can have some assets and qualify for medicaid, its not a complete depletion of assets, like Annochick seems to think (or wants to think). the OP problem is not being able to afford the $4 for the med, its getting a doctor to write an RX, and she's already exhausted her financial resources just to see the one doctor she did.

Doctors don't work for free, medical schools don't give discounts (they are some of the most expensive places), and social service agencies don't just respond at the first call with solutions! It can take months to get a case reviewed, meanwhile, what does she do? That's why I suggested she keep going to ER, they will do something.

Ever been to an ER on the weekend? Illegals pack them, for routine care, cough syrup, basic stuff. why can't us Americans (yes, I know, that's not PC) use them as well?

I sympathesize with her more than you can realize. Times I've almost been there, and I have insurance. That's only part of the situation. Just getting there, when you can't walk---find someone who can take half a day off work to get you there, then you sit there for hours in agony, then have a snarky staff and hostile, indifferent doctor, then they want to send you round and round---go for this and that test, when it was all you could do to make it in to them, then wait and wait (although most test results are back in a day or less), then to be told to come back for the test results, back to finding someone to take off work, then see "Great Doctor" who just orders more tests...........

OP you do need a more sympathetic, understanding doctor, but finding one is almost impossible without insurance or a bundle of cash. Here's a suggestion, you might not be able to find this, but worked for my mother---she found a PCP who took blood, urine routine cultures in his office and sent them via courier to the lab, then called her with results. But,I don't kknow if there was an extra charge (probably was) for the courier. At least my mother could eliminate all those trips when she was alone with no one to help her.

I find it irritating that some of the posters here think the "system" works at all, let alone in a timely, compassionate manner. what do you think all the ballyho over health care has been about, a perfect system? We treat illegal immigrants better than our ownn citizens, and if anyone dares point that out, they are "politically incorrect"....well,

The OP has fallen in the cracks of the system,. and no, there is no "dept of filling in the cracks". She can try all she wants, and I suggest she does so, but her problem is finding a doctor who will work with her. Even if on Medicaid, very few doctors accept it. Last summer, my ds fell and broke his arm. I took him to the best orthopedic clinic in town, they had a big sign "We do not accept medicaid" I saw another mother and her child look crestfallen and leave, I wanted to cry for them. But, doctors are a private business, they don't have to accept any insurance they don't like, and very few accept medicaid. but, for the OP, she needs an RX now.........

Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM

302 posts, read 471,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I have already consulted with a social worker and several other folks, which is why I have CICP (Colorado Indigent Care Program) and do not qualify for anything else. This is why I have to see this particular doctor as he is part of the program and the only one that does not have a 6-12 month waiting period for an appointment. I also have a prescription discount card, but unless you have a prescription... well, you know the rest.

I have also already applied twice for Medicaid and was told in no uncertain terms that I do NOT qualify. Because my SSDI is more than $1000 a month and I am not pregnant or have a child under 18, or in end-stage renal failure, I will never get Medicaid.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,305,629 times
OP, did my DM go through? It might be a helpful suggestion...........

you need a prescription, and can't get it, that's your problem!

good luck!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,595,574 times
Get on one of the waiting lists for another doctor while you continue to srtuggle with the one you have. Eventually you can see the other one and hope you like him better and he will work with you. If you don't try, you are stuck with the one you have.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
I have already consulted with a social worker and several other folks, which is why I have CICP (Colorado Indigent Care Program) and do not qualify for anything else. This is why I have to see this particular doctor as he is part of the program and the only one that does not have a 6-12 month waiting period for an appointment. I also have a prescription discount card, but unless you have a prescription... well, you know the rest.

I have also already applied twice for Medicaid and was told in no uncertain terms that I do NOT qualify. Because my SSDI is more than $1000 a month and I am not pregnant or have a child under 18, or in end-stage renal failure, I will never get Medicaid.

I called the number in my link above. The rheumatology department at the medical school is taking CICP patients. They are booking appointments for new patients in November, but you must have a referral and they review your records concerning the RA before they will make the appointment.

Have you considered calling other primary care offices that take CICP and booking an appointment with a request to move the appointment up if they have a cancellation? I realize mobility is a problem, but if you could come on relatively short notice you might get seen fairly quickly. Edited to add: What Southern Belle said!

When you book the appointment, ask about policies concerning testing and followup visits for the thyroid.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've been in contact with the OP and offered her suggestions I simply don't want to post here. Saying she's SOL wasn't directed at her but at the situation---she knows that!.

Her situation is that her SSDI is "too much" to qualify for medicaid. You can have some assets and qualify for medicaid, its not a complete depletion of assets, like Annochick seems to think (or wants to think). the OP problem is not being able to afford the $4 for the med, its getting a doctor to write an RX, and she's already exhausted her financial resources just to see the one doctor she did.

Doctors don't work for free, medical schools don't give discounts (they are some of the most expensive places), and social service agencies don't just respond at the first call with solutions! It can take months to get a case reviewed, meanwhile, what does she do? That's why I suggested she keep going to ER, they will do something.

Ever been to an ER on the weekend? Illegals pack them, for routine care, cough syrup, basic stuff. why can't us Americans (yes, I know, that's not PC) use them as well?

I sympathesize with her more than you can realize. Times I've almost been there, and I have insurance. That's only part of the situation. Just getting there, when you can't walk---find someone who can take half a day off work to get you there, then you sit there for hours in agony, then have a snarky staff and hostile, indifferent doctor, then they want to send you round and round---go for this and that test, when it was all you could do to make it in to them, then wait and wait (although most test results are back in a day or less), then to be told to come back for the test results, back to finding someone to take off work, then see "Great Doctor" who just orders more tests...........

OP you do need a more sympathetic, understanding doctor, but finding one is almost impossible without insurance or a bundle of cash. Here's a suggestion, you might not be able to find this, but worked for my mother---she found a PCP who took blood, urine routine cultures in his office and sent them via courier to the lab, then called her with results. But,I don't kknow if there was an extra charge (probably was) for the courier. At least my mother could eliminate all those trips when she was alone with no one to help her.

I find it irritating that some of the posters here think the "system" works at all, let alone in a timely, compassionate manner. what do you think all the ballyho over health care has been about, a perfect system? We treat illegal immigrants better than our ownn citizens, and if anyone dares point that out, they are "politically incorrect"....well,

The OP has fallen in the cracks of the system,. and no, there is no "dept of filling in the cracks". She can try all she wants, and I suggest she does so, but her problem is finding a doctor who will work with her. Even if on Medicaid, very few doctors accept it. Last summer, my ds fell and broke his arm. I took him to the best orthopedic clinic in town, they had a big sign "We do not accept medicaid" I saw another mother and her child look crestfallen and leave, I wanted to cry for them. But, doctors are a private business, they don't have to accept any insurance they don't like, and very few accept medicaid. but, for the OP, she needs an RX now.........
Most primary care doctors do not actually run most tests in the office. Pretty much anything more than a basic CBC or urinalysis and perhaps things like rapid strep tests is sent out, with the lab determined by the patient's insurance. Sometimes, if the volume is high enough, the lab will actually provide a phlebotomist. Each lab that is receiving specimens from a given office or clinic will have a courier that goes from office to office and picks the material up.

Encouraging people to go to the ER for things that are not emergencies is not good. No one is going to get rheumatoid arthritis treated appropriately in the ER. That just clogs the system and contributes to long wait times.

All doctors end up providing free care, some more than others, medical schools provide millions in indigent care, and helping folks like the OP is what hospital associated Social Workers do. I know. My son is one.

And, by the way, not everyone who looks Hispanic is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness