Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,276,801 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone is going through this? At what age did it start and what are or were your symptoms?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,135 times
I am in it or in menopause. Not sure which. I am 48. Been having symptoms for a few years, but have increased lately. I am not taking any meds or anything. I have occasional hot flashes, night sweats, heart palpitations and irritability, but these are fairly moderate.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
I think it began quite some time ago. I am 53 now, and I think I was in perimenopause by age 48-49.
The changes were subtle but undeniable.
Blood tests said that my hormones had not changed, but I knew differently.
I was losing weight, etc. I also developed some minor muscle and joint aches.
By the time I was 51, I had my first hot flash, and the following year, at 52, I began skipping periods, and the hormone test finally showed that things were changing.
The only thing I take is the occasional soy stuff. I don't take any hormones.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I think it began quite some time ago. I am 53 now, and I think I was in perimenopause by age 48-49.
The changes were subtle but undeniable.
Blood tests said that my hormones had not changed, but I knew differently.
I was losing weight, etc. I also developed some minor muscle and joint aches.
By the time I was 51, I had my first hot flash, and the following year, at 52, I began skipping periods, and the hormone test finally showed that things were changing.
The only thing I take is the occasional soy stuff. I don't take any hormones.
Thanks for your post. I started having the joint aches and my Mom tried telling me it was a symptom of perimenopause. I have noticed in the last year or so I have started having what I think are hot flashes, not often and not to bad but it was definately something different. My doctors actually did tons of tests for the joint aches thinking it was RA, Lupus or some autoimmune but all my tests were normal. I would much rather the joint pain be the result of perimenopause. All I do to combat the pain is to exercise everyday. It helps alot. The only other thing I noticed is that my cycles are getting closer together.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
The only other thing I noticed is that my cycles are getting closer together.
This happened to a friend of mine.
For me, it was skipping and spotting.
The joint pain didn't hang around, btw.
Sometimes it would just switch to another joint, but lately (knock on wood) I haven't had any at all.
I agree with you about the exercise. I think it really helps to stay active.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
This happened to a friend of mine.
For me, it was skipping and spotting.
The joint pain didn't hang around, btw.
Sometimes it would just switch to another joint, but lately (knock on wood) I haven't had any at all.
I agree with you about the exercise. I think it really helps to stay active.
It's nice to know the joint pain didn't hang around. I swear getting older bites sometimes. One day I hurt one place the next somewhere new.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,365 times
OMG I am SO happy to hear the joint pain doesn't hang around. For me (I'm 50 now,) my symptoms started when I was probably 46 or 47 with hot flashes mainly at night which cause serious nightsweats. The hotflashes seem much worse when I'm stressed or PMSing. My periods are also getting closer and closer together. I'm pretty irritable at times (more than I was during plain pre-perimenopausal PMS.) But the joint pain has been just awful, particularly in my hands and ankles. I skipped one period and I have to say I'm just ready for them to just totally end.

My sympathies to anybody who is going through this. While hubby tries to understand, he has a difficult time with my moodiness. What makes it worse is that I have a 4 year old and a 5 year old (adopted.) Being a mom of preschoolers while going through perimenopause has been a test of my ability to endure life both externally and internally. Oh, btw, I had my first major hotflash in Russia while dealing with our newly adopted 2nd daughter's total nonsleeping (she didn't sleep for 3 days and cried the entire time) and continual blowout diarrhea. I was PMSing as well and it was the middle of the summer, 98 degrees outside and we were staying with a Russian family in a non-airconditioned apartment on the 7th floor. I'm happy to report that our second daughter stopped crying eventually (poor little thing was scared and in pain due to what turned to be intestinal parasites) and is a happy 4 year old now. Sorry I digressed!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
It can start in your 30's.

Also men go through Andropause. Don't think they don't have problems entering their sunset years.

For joint pain take chelated magnesium. There are other things you can take but most women and men actually lack trace minerals and especially magnesium.

Also the closer you can adhere to a healthful diet low in dairy and refined wheat and sugar products, .....and get a good night sleep every night, the fewer symptoms you'll have.

I've done experiments. Some months I'll throw caution to the wind and act like I used to in my 20's eating any and all rich foods and staying up late and I PAY for it dearly with a HEAVY HEAVY LONG PAINFUL period. On months when i'm good AND also remember to take my supplements, my period is a BREEZE. Diet and lifestyle has a HUGE impact.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,254 times
I agree, diet and lifestyle are very important.
Recently I started getting heavier periods and shorter cycles , not fun! So I started seeing an acupuncturist and also just started taking some chinese herbs. Will let you know if it helps, it can't hurt, IMO. No hormones for me.

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I'm 49, and have been having hot flashes for quite some time (and they never come along when I actually could use one). The past few years, my cycle has shortened from 28 days to 25 or 26, and my periods have shortened from 5 to 3 or 4 days.

Other than that, haven't noticed anything different. I may be crankier than usual; I'll have to ask the spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness