Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 PM

598 posts, read 1,027,047 times

Advertisements

I went to the doctor for a physical 2 weeks ago and they took my weight. I bought a scale a few days ago and it keeps giving me all different kinds of readings that are nowhere near what I weighed at the doctors office. Can someone suggest a good scale that I can trust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,904 times
I've tried several and have not found one that actually agreed with another. When I go to one doctor I weigh XXX, go to another doctor and I weigh a few pounds different....either way. Then, there is the gym, that's the one I love, I always weigh the least on it, I have considered stealing it, but, I don't look good in orange n white stripes, makes me look fat!

I am going to follow this thread as I would like to find an accurate one too!

Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
I just have a cheap-o scale from Walmart that we've used for years.

Weight fluctuates throughout the day. It also fluctuates for women over your month-long menstrual cycle. It's important to weigh at the same time every day, after using the bathroom in the morning, but before eating. Weigh without clothes. Even if the home scale is off from the doctor's scale, if it's consistent with itself, you can see if you're gaining or losing. Even at home, some variation is normal. If you eat a huge meal one night, it will likely be a little higher the next morning. Skipping a meal will do the opposite. If you exercise and drink a ton of water, it may be higher. If it's been a day or two since a bowel movement, it will be higher. Look for long-term trends, rather than it going up or down a pound or two. Your weight at the doctor's is likely to be quite different if you had eaten breakfast and were wearing clothes.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
If you can get a decent quality scale that uses Strain Gauge Technology it should be quite accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness