Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,653,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok, here's the other side of that story:

My Mom smoked briefly in her 20's then dropped it. For the rest of her life, she had healthy foods and exercised. At 82, she had nearly perfect health and was walking at least a mile a day, every day. She rarely drank alcohol, and not at all for the past 50 years. She had oatmeal for breakfast, drank 1% milk. She took no medicines for anything. No high blood pressure, no cholesteral, no nothing.

But, she had a massive stroke which paralyzed her entire right side and destroyed roughly 1/3rd of her brain. For the past year or so, she's been in a rest home, unable to even get herself out of bed or onto the pot by herself. She must be assisted with anything which involves the use something other than her left arm.

I can't help but wonder if it ever crosses her mind that she'd have been better off just dropping dead earlier, rather than end up totally dependent on others for even the most basic tasks.

So, see? For every example of someone who paid little attention to their health having problems in later life, there are other examples just the opposite.

The bottom line is that God, and God alone, dictates our future. We cannot "help" Him keep us healthy and productive right up to the end. And, if we think we can, we're only fooling ourselves.
First, I'm sorry about your mom. That's not how anyone wants to end up and I hope she's getting good care.

But now you seem to be saying that it's good to smoke and overeat in the hopes that you'll drop dead earlier? That seems like an odd argument.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that there are no guarantees for people as individuals. You can smoke, eat and drink to your heart's content and live to be 100. Or you can do everything you know to do to be healthy and still die at 45 from cancer or an aneurism. BUT, statistically speaking, you have a better chance of living longer and feeling better if you maintain a healthy weight and don't smoke.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,891,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I am putting this in health because I believe that this is a serious health issue.
We went on vacation recently to the midwest area. We very quickly noticed the abundance of obese people. The worst was when we went into a buffet restaurant one day for lunch. Now, typically I would not go to a buffet, but after about as many Subway sandwiches as we could stand, we thought we could get the kids some veggies, salads, and noodles for something half way healthy. Well, we were appalled by the size of the clientele who obviously belly up to this buffet for all you can eat on a regular basis. I went for a run the next morning through a residential area and was looked at like some freak! Is this the U.S. standard? Is this what we have come to? I have always lived in cities where this is not typical, so when I travel in the States outside of large urban areas, I am reminded how bad it is out there.
Last night I had the television on and I saw a commercial for a breakfast restaurant advertising all you can eat pancakes with this fat guy sitting there shoveling them down. No wonder this country is in a serious health crisis and it is apalling. Can this ever be turned around or it too late? I find it very sad.
In reading this and a few other posts here, I have to say that its really just and education issue.

People can clamor on about "Oh Colorado is the thinnest state", "Southern States are fat", "Asians are thin...", "Black chicks are all fat, but black dudes are always cut and muscular", etc. but it really just comes down to the person placing importance on their health and taking the time to learn HOW to be healthy.

Heck, even here in Los Angeles you can pass by one high school (Canoga Park) and see a ton of overweight kids, then go just a few miles away to another school (El Camino Real where my kid attends) and see NOT A SINGLE OVERWEIGHT KID ANYWHERE. It depends on many factors and primarily parents teaching their kids healthy habits that will stick with them for their entire lifetime.

There is a thread in the Diet forum about some chick who wants to lose weight but her family eats sh*t all day long - bacon, sausages, fried foods, etc. and she makes excuse after excuse after another excuse as to why she's not losing weight. This is sad. When I was 16 I knew a LOT about healthy eating and because I had a part time job, I was able to feed myself. Granted, my parents didnt feed us crappy food (no one in my family is fat), but it was not all Whole Foods super health stuff either. People are going to do what they want to do. It just really really really sucks in my opinion that parents feed their kids such crap. I mean IMO it borders on child endangerment constantly feeding your kids McDonalds, Fried stuff, fast food, crappy food, etc.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,891,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And one of your activities seems to be ridiculing people who don't behave like you think they should?
I think you are missing his point. I guess its easy to think he's "ridiculing" people when you probably fall into the category of people he's talking about, but I dont see it that way. Actually, I kinda do when comparing it to people who smoke. They KNOW its bad for them. They KNOW its killing them. But still, they do it because they ENJOY it, they love the taste of it, it makes them feel better. With fat people who constantly eat horrible food that is killing them ITS THE SAME THING!! Actually, its worse because they are giving their kids the same thing. You dont see smokers forcing their kids to smoke (but second hand smoke could be considered almost the same thing).

Im always like WTF with people like this. But I do understand (just like smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts) that people who know they are traveling on a dangerous path dont like to hear from others about their awful dangerous ways, and they feel as if someone is personally negatively ATTACKING them if they make mention of their plight, but you know, when they WANT help, or WANT to learn how to improve their lot in life, I would ALWAYS like to help or make suggestions on how to help.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 AM

41,854 posts, read 74,912,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I guess its easy to think he's "ridiculing" people

[snip]

people who know they are traveling on a dangerous path dont like to hear from others about their awful dangerous ways, and they feel as if someone is personally negatively ATTACKING them if they make mention of their plight, but you know, when they WANT help, or WANT to learn how to improve their lot in life, I would ALWAYS like to help or make suggestions on how to help.
If you think this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I have written a few parodies and skits on the office drama centering around employee weight watchers programs and the gym, and eating healthy and such. I float them around and it was such a riot among other people who feel pretty much the same
is not ridiculing or is making suggestions on how to help, then you need a new dictionary.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:05 AM

19,633 posts, read 20,121,783 times
Quote:
If you think this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chimichanga
I have written a few parodies and skits on the office drama centering around employee weight watchers programs and the gym, and eating healthy and such. I float them around and it was such a riot among other people who feel pretty much the same
is not ridiculing or is making suggestions on how to help, then you need a new dictionary.
I believe the point of the story was the guy thought bacon was red meat.

Whether this person was real or fictional, it is still proving a point in a humorous way. If a person is that uneducated about the foods they're eating...well, it says alot.

It doesn't mean fat people are stupid, it means stupid people are stupid. lol

We all laughed when Jessica Simpson thought "Chicken of the Sea" was actually chicken right?!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,179,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Wow, everyone should know pork is "the other white meat".

Old 08-04-2011, 01:37 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,659,339 times
Quote:
If you think this:

Wait, the parody is not about humiliating them. It's about how so up in arms they are with their organic/lean cuisine/weight watchers/healthy yogurts activities and shopping, and the constant chatter across cubicles about whole foods, mister so and so diets, stacked magazines about weight loss stories..... yet, they inadvertently end up doing something which totally negates their whole health consciousness facade they always put up.

For all the talk about how they are watching their calories, they should be showing it with results too, right?

Sometimes, some of the women won't even eat a waffle becoz they are on a diet, and I was accused of sabotaging her diet becoz I was requesting the team to go out and have food at the waffle house when I worked down south.

Or the constant chatter about how they are documenting their calorie counts, which also includes 100 cals of hershey bars becoz the chocolate's covers said 100 cals. Well, that doesn't mean it's healthy or it is technically equal to 100 cals of carrots

In the end, after years of weight watcher programs and trash cans in the pantry piled with lean cuisine trays and progress?? Nothing. Becoz, it's the basic thumb rule that only sweat, physical work and dieting combined helps reduce weight effectively.

Actually, one of my parodies begins at 5:30 pm where the Mexican cleaning guy stops by. He is somewhat thin and looks healthier, as the skit goes. And as he cleans the pantry he looks at the lean cuisine and muses how expensive they are and he can't afford it on 3$ an hour. Yet he manages to stay under-obese, becoz he does "actual" work, like bending, walking up the stairs, carrying, etc., which the others never do. So, there was one such message underlying in every parodying article. It wasn't supposed to be dark or anything This guy manages to be healthy without any intelligent grocery shopping.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

Whether this person was real or fictional, it is still proving a point in a humorous way. If a person is that uneducated about the foods they're eating...well, it says alot.

It doesn't mean fat people are stupid, it means stupid people are stupid. lol

We all laughed when Jessica Simpson thought "Chicken of the Sea" was actually chicken right?!
Chimichanga?!?!?! Give me a break

Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 PM

And just so everyone knows, I was close to 250 pounds in my mid-20s, owing to severe personal problems.

I measured 162 pounds two days ago at nearly 5 10 in height. I lost all the weight in 2007-08 though. I was about 155 pounds in 2003. So you can see how I took a four year exile into madness. Everyone goes through a dark phase in life. My father witnessed my downward spiral. He died in 2006 and I never got to see him before he died, when 7 months ago he begged me to come home at least for Christmas. Standing at my father's funeral, as the men were putting sand I promised him I'd re-invent myself and relive my life like he wanted me to. I made the decision to hit the gym that night, and there was only 10 to 15 days I may have missed the gym in the last 5 years.

I was there. But then I chose to pull myself out. It's not hard. An individual just needs that mad drive to throw away his deteriorating self.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,826,791 times
You would love the Heart Attack Grill in Arizona. They have a huge old-fashioned scale, and anyone who weighs in a over 350 pounds gets a free meal. Their motto is "Taste worth dying for" and they fry their french fries in lard.

This restaurant was featured on the Travel Channel, and while I didn't watch the show I did see a few clips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness