U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,164,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
You're right, we cannot help Him keep us healthy & productive.

He helps us help ourselves.
Says who?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
First, I'm sorry about your mom. That's not how anyone wants to end up and I hope she's getting good care.

But now you seem to be saying that it's good to smoke and overeat in the hopes that you'll drop dead earlier? That seems like an odd argument.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that there are no guarantees for people as individuals. You can smoke, eat and drink to your heart's content and live to be 100. Or you can do everything you know to do to be healthy and still die at 45 from cancer or an aneurism. BUT, statistically speaking, you have a better chance of living longer and feeling better if you maintain a healthy weight and don't smoke.
Statiscally speaking is just another way of saying you have better odds.

And, no I wasn't saying it might be better to drop dead earlier, but we're going to drop dead of something some day anyhow, so why worry about it? Let's face it, none of us WANT to die, but since we're going to anyhow, what difference will it make if we live 60 years or 80 years or 180 years?

I really think that all this confusion and obession with "healthy" living is, at it's base, an unwillingness to admit our own mortality, or to come to grips with it.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think you are missing his point. I guess its easy to think he's "ridiculing" people when you probably fall into the category of people he's talking about, but I dont see it that way. Actually, I kinda do when comparing it to people who smoke. They KNOW its bad for them. They KNOW its killing them. But still, they do it because they ENJOY it, they love the taste of it, it makes them feel better. With fat people who constantly eat horrible food that is killing them ITS THE SAME THING!! Actually, its worse because they are giving their kids the same thing. You dont see smokers forcing their kids to smoke (but second hand smoke could be considered almost the same thing).

Im always like WTF with people like this. But I do understand (just like smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts) that people who know they are traveling on a dangerous path dont like to hear from others about their awful dangerous ways, and they feel as if someone is personally negatively ATTACKING them if they make mention of their plight, but you know, when they WANT help, or WANT to learn how to improve their lot in life, I would ALWAYS like to help or make suggestions on how to help.

Conversely, those traveling that so-called "healthy path" don't like us snickering while they choke down a dry salad instead of the greasy burger they're craving. They don't like us reminding them that they really don't look all that happy in the gym. Ever see anybody smiling during a workout? Rarely. Their faces are set in lines of grim determination, they're in pain (no pain, no gain), their doing the "right" thing it's making them miserable.

I may look foolish to you having beer and brats, then chasing it down with a cigarette or two, but you look pretty silly spending your whole life doing things you don't enjoy for little, or no, payoff too.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
You would love the Heart Attack Grill in Arizona. They have a huge old-fashioned scale, and anyone who weighs in a over 350 pounds gets a free meal. Their motto is "Taste worth dying for" and they fry their french fries in lard.

This restaurant was featured on the Travel Channel, and while I didn't watch the show I did see a few clips.

There's one in Dallas now too.

I may take the grandkids down there.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM

696 posts, read 1,536,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Hi MaseMan, I'm actually from Wi myself. Plenty of beer and brat bellies there!
I realize there are fat people all over, big cities as wel. However, there are not the number of OBESE people on the east coast that I witnessed recently visiting South Dakota. MORBIDLY OBESE. I am by no means pretending anything! I see overweight people on a regular basis. But I'd be willing to bet that the percentages of obesity are higher in middle America than on either coast.

The people you saw in SD were just tourists from PA

Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
You would love the Heart Attack Grill in Arizona. They have a huge old-fashioned scale, and anyone who weighs in a over 350 pounds gets a free meal. Their motto is "Taste worth dying for" and they fry their french fries in lard.

This restaurant was featured on the Travel Channel, and while I didn't watch the show I did see a few clips.
This is what's wrong with this country.
This is absolutely disgusting!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
This is what's wrong with this country.
This is absolutely disgusting!

Why? What's it to you if someone wants to eat that? It's no skin off your nose, is it?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Conversely, those traveling that so-called "healthy path" don't like us snickering while they choke down a dry salad instead of the greasy burger they're craving. They don't like us reminding them that they really don't look all that happy in the gym. Ever see anybody smiling during a workout? Rarely. Their faces are set in lines of grim determination, they're in pain (no pain, no gain), their doing the "right" thing it's making them miserable.

I may look foolish to you having beer and brats, then chasing it down with a cigarette or two, but you look pretty silly spending your whole life doing things you don't enjoy for little, or no, payoff too.
most health conscious people who do it as a way of life do not live on dry salad. No one would last long if that were the case. There are many delicious things to eat and cook.
Also, for me, I don't go work out in a gym. I run and walk, because I love to do those things. I climb stairs instead of the lazy options. I do my own yard work and gardening, clean my house, bike and play ball with my kids.
So for me, I do the things I enjoy doing. I eat the things I enjoy eating. I enjoy them because they make me feel good. I eat to live, I do not live to eat. Life has to many other enjoyable things to experience.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why? What's it to you if someone wants to eat that? It's no skin off your nose, is it?
I guess I just think excess, gluttony, and waste is wrong.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 PM

106 posts, read 252,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
You can really tell who's fat in this thread...
Absolutely Hilarious. That reminds me of the Jim Carrey movie Liar Liar.

The little boy: My friend said that it's not about what's on the outside, but what's on the inside that counts.

Jim Carrey: Oh that's just something ugly people say.

Anyway I didn't read through 50 million responses, so my apologies if I repeat something here that's already been brought up, but I don't think it's appropriate to say that a whole bunch of fat people in society have no ill effect on society. The fact is that it has a HUGE (yes, I know) effect on everyone. What angle would you like to take? Healthcare? "Taxes" (at least that's how they're labeled). Must I pay for the poor health choices of others, whether intentional of ignorance induced?

What about the downstream effects? The "ripple effect". Obesity is the easiest to pick on because it's visible and there's a stigma attached to it. I am NOT agreeing with this or saying that it's right. I am saying... it is what it is.

Some people are totally to fault for their own condition. Some people know that their decisions are getting them in trouble and making themselves obese, and they do it anyway. Very sad.

Heres the deal though. It's not always their fault! In fact, I would say, in the majority of cases regarding people who are overweight, they got that way because they were MISLED. Almost the whole world is misled when it comes to nutrition and fitness. We are taught all the wrong things. We are taught to avoid saturated fats. We are taught that eating breads and low fat white meat is healthiest. We are taught that cholesterol free oils are the healthiest oils. We are a nation of sheep being herded into chronic health issues by the millions. Oh, and the sheep are blindfolded, because, well... the blindfolds are for the safety of the sheep, as mandated by the government. We wouldn't ant to remove the blindfolds, and cause confusion, and mass histeria or anything.

It's probably not the best idea to be judgmental towards obese people. I'd wager a fair sum that won't work out well. What we need to do is HELP them!

If you are obese, do whatever is necessary to get un-obese, or un-overweight. If you already do feel like your are doing that, and not seeing the results... that is entirely different, and I feel for you. The good news is it doesn't have to stay that way. It's likely that you fall into the misled category of folks that I elude to above.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If what you are trying isn't working, that might be because it doesn't work!!!

People aren't supposed to be obese. Genetics do indeed play a bit of a role, but not in the same way people think... "Well... my mom was big.. My daddy was pritty big.. So I guess that's why I'm big." Wow. Really?

How bout... "Well... my mom was big.. My daddy was pritty big.. So then i'm NOT gonna follow what they did by NOT living how they live(d)."

What does work is different for some than it is for others. But for starters, at least 80% of your health has to do with what you EAT and DRINK!!! The remaining 20% is from your exercise and other lifesytle factors.

If your diet is comprised primarily of manmade garbage, CUT IT OUT!! We are not made to eat items that were concoted in a lab, especially if the item is unnatural. Unnatural things should make up somewhere between 0%-3% of your dietary intake. That right there will cut out LOTS of bad stuff. Not all natural stuff is good nutrition for the human body. Tree bark, poison ivy leaves, and rose throns are all very natural, but mix them together in a salad bowl and try to eat them, and you might have a problem pretty quickly.

People need to learn what is good for the body and what isn't, and this can vary wildly from person to person. Understanding that polyunsaturated fats are pro-inflammatoy could be a good place to start. Understanding that having loads of grain bread everyday is probably causing health issues and weight gain could help. And gulping down soda (regualr or diet) is a HORRIBLE choice of drink. Soda should be abolished! Along with every other sugary or fake manmade drink out there. Do you know that many people drink themselves into obesity, even without alcohol?

The health epidemic in this country began when people were led to believe that saturated fats were bad for you and subsequently began allowing big food companies to manufacture garbage so that you as the consumer can be the receptical for it.

Don't fear animal fats. Don't eat manmade concoctions. Don't overindulge in sugar. Raise your grocery budget and lower whatever item(s) in your budget that you need to in order to make it balance. SPEND more $$ on high quality, healthy foods. Don't eat foods with silly ingredients.

Remember... don't judge too quickly, because you never know the story behind the person! The best thing you can do for people is BE AN EXAMPLE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness