U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 PM

17,654 posts, read 17,706,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Hmmmm. Is self-righteousness and a jugmental attitude something you learned at home, or has it just sprung full-blown from your own hubris?

What do you care how fat other people are?
My impression is, this post is a way to rip into the "evil red flyover" people..........fat hogs.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,145,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Plus size, full-figured, round, large. Truth in labeling would help. Just call it like it is: Size FAT.

It might help.
Rude, insulting, obnoxious, judgmental, arrogant, self-absorbed, condescending. Truth in labeling would help. Just call it like it is: anbody who makes fun of, or belittles someone else because of their size, is a d--k.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 8,856,203 times
I wonder - is this the latest fun trend to bash fat people, or is it just that now people are so emboldened (well, on the Net at least) to belittle and be rude to others who fall outside the norm? I betcha no one in this thread would have the guts to say one tenth of what's been said here to a fat person's face. Keyboard bashers, I tell ya!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I wonder - is this the latest fun trend to bash fat people, or is it just that now people are so emboldened (well, on the Net at least) to belittle and be rude to others who fall outside the norm? I betcha no one in this thread would have the guts to say one tenth of what's been said here to a fat person's face. Keyboard bashers, I tell ya!
They're likely the same people who treat smokers like the new leper's.

I won't say what I think about them, but would offer the suggestion that if they feel that strongly about it, how about they walk right up to me and say something about my size, or my smoking for that matter?

I'm an former drill sergeant. I know all about administering "wall to wall counseling."

Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 8,856,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
They're likely the same people who treat smokers like the new leper's.

I won't say what I think about them, but would offer the suggestion that if they feel that strongly about it, how about they walk right up to me and say something about my size, or my smoking for that matter?

I'm an former drill sergeant. I know all about administering "wall to wall counseling."
Hey, I'm sensing a pattern here. We may have faults, but I'm also convinced we'd have no qualms telling them (the bashers) EXACTLY what we think face to face.

They, OTOH, prefer to come to an anonymous board and just try to tear people down behind the safety of their commando keyboards. Hmmm....

Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Hey, I'm sensing a pattern here. We may have faults, but I'm also convinced we'd have no qualms telling them (the bashers) EXACTLY what we think face to face.

They, OTOH, prefer to come to an anonymous board and just try to tear people down behind the safety of their commando keyboard. Hmmm....

Hank Williams Jr. said it best:

‪Attitude Adjustment---Hank Williams, Jr.‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,467,378 times
Quote:
Regarding the above bolded points, maybe some enjoy it but some are ADDICTED and do not enjoy it. As someone who is guilty of just about every bad habit mentioned in this thread, I can tell you I want to quit smoking every day. But I'm addicted and it's a coping mechanism, albeit a lousy one. I've also been known to tip back wayyyy more than the recommended amounts of wine per day, but I have. Again, it's a lousy coping mechanism but it works for some until it no longer works. And as to being overweight, I am absolutely disgusted with myself thinking I must have a tumor in my stomach as I've never been like this in my life. Unfortunately, I grew up a chubby kid who used chocolate chip cookies to deal with life and I have the fat cells now that are far too easy to fill.

It's much more complex than people make it out to be. At one point in my life I was a runner and had a BMI that was so low I experienced amenorrhea (sp?). But stuff happens in life and sometimes you turn to the wrong things to get through the day. I don't enjoy any of it (well, true confession - that morning coffee and cigarette I do enjoy) and spend a great deal of time beating myself up over it. I've eaten practically nothing today as I cannot stand feeling this fat (but part of it has to do with hormones now and I guess androgen is the culprit that is now storing fat in my middle section). Throw in long term unemployment, living in a place I hate yet not sure where to go and no support system and you have the ingredients for the desire of a quick fix. It's not rocket science, but it certainly is not as simple as the OP makes it out to be.

I have a LONG road ahead of me to conquer my demons but I haven't given up the fight. I quit smoking for 15 years once I can do it again. Four years ago I was a size 6 and (maybe) I can be a size 8 again. Well, I could go on and on but I must say the OP over-simplifies and it is an insult to people who may not appear to suffer on the outside, but do on the inside.
I am truely sorry that you are having all these difficulties. But, you have no idea what has happened in my life, and what I have had to overcome. I am certainly not saying that you or anyone is less valuable as a person. My whole thing in my OP was really not meant to bash people with unhealthy habits. I just wonder why this country has to make it even harder for everyone to make better choices. There is a difference in going to a restaurant and ordering a cheeseburger and fries, and going to a buffet and heading back 6 times to mound your plate with every possible thing in sight. [I did notice that the salad bar was relatively untouched] There's a difference in someone who is overweight and trying to make healthier habits, to someone who doesn't care and thinks nothing of eating until completely stuffed. I find it apalling that some industries are cashing in and perpetuating the problem. It is making a mockery of overweight people and their addictions. I would hope that anyone who is serious about wanting to lose weight would not frequent a restaurant that advocates "all you can eat".
Someone mentioned a restaurant in Az and TX where if you weigh in over 350 lbs you get a free meal. That is like a circus side show! Why in the world would anyone want to go witness something like that?
The United states is the most obese country in the world. In spite of what a few on this board think, it is a problem, and it makes this country look ridiculous, weak, greedy and gluttonous.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 AM

973 posts, read 1,527,323 times
Quote:

Some of what you said may be true as it carries over into all facets on the net and not just in regards to this topic. But if you yourself cannot see that this is an epidemic then you do have blinders on. I don't think the OP was referring to people who are overweight, but those who are morbidly so, and maybe that isn't her business either, but I think it is our NATION'S business as does the UK now. Morbid obesity is NOT normal and our bodies were NOT made to carry all that weight, period.

And as far as not having the "guts" to tell people in person, well, I had to. My best friend is still morbidly obese even after she had a gastric bypass as she didn't follow directions and kept eating. Yes she lost close to 100 pounds, but she is still 100 pounds overweight and no doctor will touch her as far as removing the excess skin she has on her thighs and arms and her stomach which is so loose, that she sweats and gets rashes and other nasties underneath that flesh. Two doctors told her that she has only 2 years tops to lose it as then they will not operate, for she will be too old and they are afraid of something happening due to her health complications (that are/were due to her weight).

BUT all this was known to me AFTER I confronted her about her size. She told me that she wanted to visit me in Serbia when I was there, and I had to tell her point blank that I didn't want her to go due to her size, and with a lump in my throat told her why. First, she would probably be stared at as hardly anyone there is overweight, and I have never seen a morbidly obese women ever. Second, she would not be able to walk for hours like I do and at a fast pace most of the time, and if we took a cab, she really couldn't fit into their small cars and the busses are cramped, and I am sure people would scowl and say something as she would take up two seats. Third, my apt is on the 5th floor with no elevator. I can barely make it up and there is no way she could do it without it taking 15 minutes at that and how could she do that 2-4 times a day? And fourth, nothing in Serbia accommodates larger people, period. With that she cried, of course and I cried along with her. And it was then that she told me that was going to be her motivation. So far she has lost 30 pounds and her goal is to lose the remaining 70 by next June, and then I will go up there when she has her surgery to remove the excess skin to be with her. After that, she will not only be more comfortable but also will be able then to really exercise and get fit for all that walking she will be doing with me in Belgrade!

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 08-05-2011 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: missed a NOT

Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 AM

19,020 posts, read 26,240,032 times
Quote:
What?? Nobody bashed anyone. Stating the behaviour of fat people in public places is not bashing. I am sure everyone has run into those lean cuisine trays and weight watchers charade in the office space. It's all over the office. And these people would not need these stupid programs if they actually took the stairs to the third floor, or tried to, at least once in three days

On the other hand, this would be considered bashing

‪Mugatu‬‏ - YouTube

‪the hangover - funny fat guy fall‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 AM

19,020 posts, read 26,240,032 times
And another famous quote:

"My doctor said I need to reduce my amount of red meat"

You don't need a doctor to figure that out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness