U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM

22,770 posts, read 27,024,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
And this may shock you, but certain people with certain conditions almost have to choose between their mental health or obesity, as things stand in 2011.
What sort of condition are you referring to?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,865,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Agreed, and fat people get those more often.
Linky please? Because I remember when I was an avid runner (on hard pavement when dirt wasn't available) reading about how 40 year olds were going to regret it.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
What sort of condition are you referring to?
Both bipolar and schizophrenia come to mind. And even those just depressed can pack on the pounds with SSRIs. And that one out of five suicide rate for bipolar is well documented, if not treated. I don't know about suicide rates for schizophrenia. And they can't quite figure out what causes the weight gain, just that it's severe in many cases. It is hypothesized that these drugs might slow metabolism down. Oh, and I know Seroquel (used to treat both conditions) causes an increase in appetite, as does Remeron.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 PM

19,020 posts, read 26,266,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
Oh please. Give me a break. No reading comprehension problem here.

You said that you don't need a Doctor to tell you to reduce red meat consumption. I'm saying that almost nobody needs to be told that. Very few people in the world are eating too much red meat. I know people that eat 2 pounds per day, every day, and they are fit and happy with their health.

Unless the red meat is unhealthy red meat, it ain't the red meat.
Jack, you're embarrassing yourself. Read again, the doctor advises the patient to "reduce" the red meat. I never stated the doctor told him that red meat was bad. Again, reading comprehension, mate. If you don't like to admit it, fine. But don't pretend and project that you got it all right. Nobody needs a doctor to figure out that a ton of red meat goes towards the adipose.

And those 2 pound eaters, definitely, they are sitting at home doing sedentary work and playing video games, right? Some detail you are trying to ignore there.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,430,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
I just started reading this thread...and all I can say is ..Wow...so many opinions...but I really have to add to this one from a few days back..

QUOTE=Marlow;20304777]God must not like smokers then, because he strikes them down with cancer at a higher rate than He does non-smokers.
That's a very cruel thing to say...so let's see..if I am driving in my car and I get hit by a drunk driver and killed but the drunk who hit me lives..then God liked the drunk driver more?? Yes I know smoking is bad for me and trust me I am really trying to quit..but to say that God must not like smokers??? That's just wrong...[/quote]

I was not being cruel. I was responding--sarcastically--to a poster who said that our behavior does not have an effect on our health or longevity and that only God decides how long we're going to live.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,528,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Both bipolar and schizophrenia come to mind. And even those just depressed can pack on the pounds with SSRIs. And that one out of five suicide rate for bipolar is well documented, if not treated. I don't know about suicide rates for schizophrenia. And they can't quite figure out what causes the weight gain, just that it's severe in many cases. It is hypothesized that these drugs might slow metabolism down. Oh, and I know Seroquel (used to treat both conditions) causes an increase in appetite, as does Remeron.

Some information for both bipolar and depression and the meds prescribed:

when lithium is taken: Weight gain can occur with lithium. At first almost everyone will gain a few pounds as their body hangs on to more water (salt effect). Some people can continue to gain weight, though. This is much less of a problem with lithium than with valproate, both in how often it happens and how much weight is gained. Usually at this point we will switch medications, but some people can control the weight issue with regular exercise, wise eating, and avoiding alcohol entirely -- all good health habits anyway.

when valporate is taken:Most people get no side effects at all at low doses. But weight gain is a big problem at higher doses. See “preventing weight gain” below on how to keep that from happening to you.
Weight gain is very common at medium or high doses, but not common at 1000mg or less. Fortunately, it does not usually “sneak up” on you. You will notice a huge increase in appetite first. You want to eat frequently, eat a lot, and even feel hungry just after eating. Fortunately again, the appetite increase is like a light switch: it’s either “on”, or “off”. If you notice your appetite go up, then call your doctor and ask about moving the dose down. As you lower the dose, the “switch” goes “off” for almost everyone (rarely, some just have to stop). Recently the makers of Depakote produced an extremely slow release version of their pills they believe causes less trouble with this unusual appetite increase, and thus does not cause weight gain. If Depakote ER is available to you at the same cost as divalproex, or close, it may be worth using the ER version . People can get their dose higher with this version than with divalproex, in most cases, without causing weight gain, and get the same benefit in terms of symptom control.

I couldn't find though, how much actual weight is usually gained. But I would think that if one went to the morbidly obese side, the person's doctor would definitely intervene and help out with either change of meds or nutrition advice.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Some information for both bipolar and depression and the meds prescribed:

when lithium is taken: Weight gain can occur with lithium. At first almost everyone will gain a few pounds as their body hangs on to more water (salt effect). Some people can continue to gain weight, though. This is much less of a problem with lithium than with valproate, both in how often it happens and how much weight is gained. Usually at this point we will switch medications, but some people can control the weight issue with regular exercise, wise eating, and avoiding alcohol entirely -- all good health habits anyway.

when valporate is taken:Most people get no side effects at all at low doses. But weight gain is a big problem at higher doses. See “preventing weight gain” below on how to keep that from happening to you.
Weight gain is very common at medium or high doses, but not common at 1000mg or less. Fortunately, it does not usually “sneak up” on you. You will notice a huge increase in appetite first. You want to eat frequently, eat a lot, and even feel hungry just after eating. Fortunately again, the appetite increase is like a light switch: it’s either “on”, or “off”. If you notice your appetite go up, then call your doctor and ask about moving the dose down. As you lower the dose, the “switch” goes “off” for almost everyone (rarely, some just have to stop). Recently the makers of Depakote produced an extremely slow release version of their pills they believe causes less trouble with this unusual appetite increase, and thus does not cause weight gain. If Depakote ER is available to you at the same cost as divalproex, or close, it may be worth using the ER version . People can get their dose higher with this version than with divalproex, in most cases, without causing weight gain, and get the same benefit in terms of symptom control.

I couldn't find though, how much actual weight is usually gained. But I would think that if one went to the morbidly obese side, the person's doctor would definitely intervene and help out with either change of meds or nutrition advice.
you seem to be a very wise woman!
Unfortunately, many like to complain and wallow instead of putting forth effort.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 PM

106 posts, read 252,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Jack, you're embarrassing yourself. Read again, the doctor advises the patient to "reduce" the red meat. I never stated the doctor told him that red meat was bad. Again, reading comprehension, mate. If you don't like to admit it, fine. But don't pretend and project that you got it all right. Nobody needs a doctor to figure out that a ton of red meat goes towards the adipose.

And those 2 pound eaters, definitely, they are sitting at home doing sedentary work and playing video games, right? Some detail you are trying to ignore there.
I don't like to waste my efforts on irrational thinking, so you win. The Doctor is correct. So are you, in all regards.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:34 PM

19,020 posts, read 26,266,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
I don't like to waste my efforts on irrational thinking, so you win. The Doctor is correct. So are you, in all regards.
For the sake of the English language, you could have made an admission way earlier, rather than prolonging the inevitable

This is where knee-jerk reaction gets you

Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
you seem to be a very wise woman!
Unfortunately, many like to complain and wallow instead of putting forth effort.
And everybody is different. I can't tell you how many drugs I've been told are weight neutral but are not (for me, at least). I've googled and found numerous posters recount their experiences with everything from weight gain, to hair loss, etc. In fact, I just learned a drug I've been taking for five years CAN put on weight for some people and that it can cause blood problems. No Dr. mentioned this to me, rather I called my Dr. to tell him this.

This is why I do not blindly follow what Drs tell me, nor do I bet on the drug manufacturer's site, but I actually go to forums with real live people who are taking said drug.

I also make it a habit to do my own drug interaction checker online and I double check with pharmacists for this and to answer any questions I might have about the prescription itself or the prescriber.

Anyway, I point all this out to emphasize that everyone is different and that people should not paint with too wide a brush. There are many reasons why people are as they are that go beyond "just eat less and exercise more," although that is important. However, it doesn't always work like a snap.

And I would really appreciate it if you would stop with the insults as you just demonstrate your ignorance in doing so. And I am wondering why you started this thread if it wasn't just to bash those different from you or to cause a problem. God knows you've gone out of your way to insult people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness