U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,865,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Possibly. I do love the United States. It is my home. I have been able to make the most of many things this country has to offer. But I do believe somewhere along the way, things have taken a wrong turn.
Anyway, trying to stay on just the obesity topic, I guess education is the key, in terms of trying to end the yearly increase in the growing obesity statistics. I know many people in Europe do not want these American fast food franchises being put in their countries. But, it's a huge money making industry.
No one is forcing people to go to McDonald's over there. I lived in Spain and will admit at first I went to McDonald's when I'd visit Madrid. However, as time went on I came to appreciate their food and could see it's much better than fast food. I don't blame fast food, just going to those places too often. An occasional small hamburger and small fries does not break the bank. It's 500 calories for both.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:48 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
No one is forcing people to go to McDonald's over there. I lived in Spain and will admit at first I went to McDonald's when I'd visit Madrid. However, as time went on I came to appreciate their food and could see it's much better than fast food. I don't blame fast food, just going to those places too often. An occasional small hamburger and small fries does not break the bank. It's 500 calories for both.
no one said anything about forcing. It is the young people of the country who WANT to experience the " American" way of life. Unfortunately, it's leading to a rise in obesity because in all certainty, they are not just ordering a small burger and small fries. They are being "super sized" and have a huge everything, including a drink so large, that it does not even fit in a european size cup holder in their car! Lets be realistic here.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,865,792 times
Quote:
no one said anything about forcing. It is the young people of the country who WANT to experience the " American" way of life. Unfortunately, it's leading to a rise in obesity because in all certainty, they are not just ordering a small burger and small fries. They are being "super sized" and have a huge everything, including a drink so large, that it does not even fit in a european size cup holder in their car! Lets be realistic here.
McDonald's has been in that country for at least 25 years. When I lived there I did not see fat Spaniards. If it's anyone's "fault," it our fault for putting McDonald's all over the world. And young people back then wanted American stuff just as much as today, I would presume. However, as time goes on and they see what the American way of life has become, this just might change. One thing they do a lot of that we don't though? They walk a lot. They go to plazas and have a coffee. They socialize with others. This meets their emotional needs so they most likely are not stuffing their faces out of loneliness. The US culture is a lonely one. They do not get in their cars and drive to their suburban homes and sit on their butts alone watching TV. Totally different culture and one I much prefer.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Quote:
McDonald's has been in that country for at least 25 years. When I lived there I did not see fat Spaniards. If it's anyone's "fault," it our fault for putting McDonald's all over the world. And young people back then wanted American stuff just as much as today, I would presume. However, as time goes on and they see what the American way of life has become, this just might change. One thing they do a lot of that we don't though? They walk a lot. They go to plazas and have a coffee. They socialize with others. This meets their emotional needs so they most likely are not stuffing their faces out of loneliness. The US culture is a lonely one. They do not get in their cars and drive to their suburban homes and sit on their butts alone watching TV. Totally different culture and one I much prefer.
Hey Hey, we agree on something!!! More than one thing in fact!
America is pushing ourselves and our unhealthy ways on others.
And, the european way of life is a culture I prefer as well!

As fun as this thread has been, it may be time to put it, and our differences, to rest! Thanks for your valued imput.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 AM

5,008 posts, read 11,053,924 times
How did this thread turn into a monologue? Seriously, send it to PM ... not everyone cares about your observations/opinions when it's throwing things back and forth.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 AM

973 posts, read 1,528,816 times
Quote:

I agree too with what you said. However, keep in mind that back even 25 years ago, there were not McDonald's every few miles. And Serbia's first one opened in '89. But then too, 25 years ago, other franchises never made the "leap" like now as you can find KFC, Burger King. Pizza Hut and others as well. AND I think, too, they were still "novelties" where people went maybe once to see what it was all about and not "staples" like they are here. Plus, I want to add that processed food was not to be found there in the past, but that is changing as well.

You are also right about the walking and that is exercise which has been brought up here before....but maybe what hasn't is the "emotional needs" that you mentioned as that is a reason too, I think. I know we had mentioned depression, but not the causes of it...and I do think that loneliness (and I agree that our culture is lonely but too due to that fact that we highly value our privacy and independence which other countries do not) falls into that category.

And this is why...all that you have written... I plan to live 6 months in Europe and 6 here.

AND, good job on the weight loss thus far!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,948,354 times
Quote:
Hey Hey, we agree on something!!! More than one thing in fact!
America is pushing ourselves and our unhealthy ways on others.
And, the european way of life is a culture I prefer as well!

As fun as this thread has been, it may be time to put it, and our differences, to rest! Thanks for your valued imput.
Remember you cannot see all the deleted posts except your own. I agree this thread has run its course. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness