U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM

44,246 posts, read 54,892,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, actually, your posts are quite arrogant.

And I hope you never experience an injury that keeps you from exercising, contract an illness that messes with your metabolism, or need a medication with a side effect of weight gain, or worse.
My mom has all three. And she still looks great! And she's 64!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,094,407 times
I think jtur88 makes some very good points. We all know about the basics, but that doesn't mean something else isn't going on.

I will say that eating healthy is difficult from a cost basis. If you go to a store, not talking restaurants, lots of healthier items cost more than what I would call "junk" food.

It is subsidized, which I think is messed up. I also think importing "crappy" produce from other countries makes no sense over good local growing. Nutrition is important, which goes to quality food.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I think jtur88 makes some very good points. We all know about the basics, but that doesn't mean something else isn't going on.

I will say that eating healthy is difficult from a cost basis. If you go to a store, not talking restaurants, lots of healthier items cost more than what I would call "junk" food.

It is subsidized, which I think is messed up. I also think importing "crappy" produce from other countries makes no sense over good local growing. Nutrition is important, which goes to quality food.
Yeah, but I have taken it upon myself to personally conduct studies on pricing...honestly, you can make some VERY healthy meals for very little money. You just have to take the time and effort to do it. And they can taste very, very good.

I bet you that we spend less money on our groceries than most people, and we don't eat plastic food at my house.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,428,573 times
Quote:
OP, you're right to point out it's a problem. Now, what will YOU do about it, except brag how 'you jog and limit your food' while the (lazy) and (weak) fat pigs do not...?So go out and be a leader in the community. Be a teacher to these people. Inspire them to change. Teach them how...

Don't just say, "They'll feel better."

Smokers will feel better if they quit the cancer sticks. So will drunks when they give up their beer. Same for sugar addicts, caffeine freaks and down the line.

@D217---

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's laugh at the the 'fat people' in the thread who must defend the other fatties. They must all be whales or something. So, yeah, being fat=being morally bankrupt, weak minded or whatever...Ha, ha.

When was the last time you went to the gym? I may be overweight but I go 3-4 times a week, plus walk an hour a day. I don't eat fast food nor did I ever finish a whole cheese cake, ice cream pint or other such example of gluttony you may think all heavy people indulge in...
The only person saying harsh and negative things about overweight people is you.

I certainly don't think of overweight people as being lazy or weak. All you have to do is look at Oprah Winfrey to know that that being smart, ambitious, capable and hardworking is often not enough to lose weight and keep it off. Overweight and obese people are no more deserving of rudeness or ugly judgments than any other group of people. But this issue of obesity in America is a big problem and deserves thoughtful discussion.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM

I am not saying you can't eat "healthy" though that can be subjective to some. Yes you have to get resourceful and creative. You also have to do w/o.

I think the junk that is put in water is also awful. That is the stuff we regularly know about. Not what we don't. Chlorine/chloramine kills valuable probiotic flora and Fluoride is very bad to ingest, causes all kind of issues, one being thyroid killing.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, actually, your posts are quite arrogant.

And I hope you never experience an injury that keeps you from exercising, contract an illness that messes with your metabolism, or need a medication with a side effect of weight gain, or worse.
Ohiogirl, while those things certainly can impact a person's weight and make it difficult to maintain a healthy weight, do you think they are the reason 2/3 of the people in this country are overweight or obese?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Ohiogirl, while those things certainly can impact a person's weight and make it difficult to maintain a healthy weight, do you think they are the reason 2/3 of the people in this country are overweight or obese?
We all know they are not.

I think we need to blame people's lack of discipline, yes.
But there is something really screwed up with our food industry, too.
Plastic food should NOT be subsidized.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM

Truthfully, assuming is hard to know. That is why I think looking at it more in depth could help. I have known people who had weight issues, that didn't really eat "badly" or not exercise.

Didn't have a big obvious genetic factor either. I think food/water intake, lifestyle are obvious factors, but any one of any other factors can make the difference.

When you see such big trends, like that, it should be cause for concern.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:35 PM

33,089 posts, read 61,964,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Of course not. I was just advising the OP of the bad karma that can come from harsh and mean-spirited judgements.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We all know they are not.

I think we need to blame people's lack of discipline, yes.
But there is something really screwed up with our food industry, too.
Plastic food should NOT be subsidized.
It's lots of different things--it's lack of discipline, it's marketing and subsidizing of crap food, it's that kids aren't free to play outside and walk a mile to a friend's house by themselves, it's too many electronics, it's a loss of family time (due to a million causes) that means families don't cook and eat together.

BUT, where the rubber meets the road is what people decide to pick up and put in their mouths every day. KFC or Subway light menu? Soft drink or water? A whole bag of chips or a serving? French fries or carrots with that sandwich? In the end, those choices are the only things we individuals have any control over and all the other factors wouldn't matter if people made the better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness