Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I am putting this in health because I believe that this is a serious health issue.
We went on vacation recently to the midwest area. We very quickly noticed the abundance of obese people. The worst was when we went into a buffet restaurant one day for lunch. Now, typically I would not go to a buffet, but after about as many Subway sandwiches as we could stand, we thought we could get the kids some veggies, salads, and noodles for something half way healthy. Well, we were appalled by the size of the clientele who obviously belly up to this buffet for all you can eat on a regular basis. I went for a run the next morning through a residential area and was looked at like some freak! Is this the U.S. standard? Is this what we have come to? I have always lived in cities where this is not typical, so when I travel in the States outside of large urban areas, I am reminded how bad it is out there.
Last night I had the television on and I saw a commercial for a breakfast restaurant advertising all you can eat pancakes with this fat guy sitting there shoveling them down. No wonder this country is in a serious health crisis and it is apalling. Can this ever be turned around or it too late? I find it very sad.
I like the way this posts treats the Midwest as some faraway exotic land and and its inhabitants as some sort of anthropological curiosity. I got news for you, Mr. Eastern Pa -- if my recent trip to Philadelphia is any indication, things aren't substantially different in your corner of the neighborhood.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I think it's a combination of food addiction and then people just being raised on junk. I've known more than a couple people who were adults and did not know how to cook or prepare a meal, so everything was fast food or junk food. And the so much of the food at "sit down" restaurants is now filled with sodium and fat and the portions too big. On the rare occasions when I do eat out, I try and go online before and look at the menu, then check "Eat This, Not That". Sometimes what appears healthy is actually very unhealthy. Like about anything on PF Chang's menu, or Cheesecake Factory. Maybe it's time to have nutrition classes in high school where kids learn how to eat healthy, and how to cook.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
Is there a point to this thread?-GLAD YOU ASKED, YES THERE IS!

Hmmmm. Is self-righteousness and a jugmental attitude something you learned at home, or has it just sprung full-blown from your own hubris?- I AM NOT ARROGANT, I JUST KNOW HOW TO CONTROL MY FOOD INTAKE.

What do you care how fat other people are? -I'M NOT SURE. I GUESS I CAN'T HELP WONDERING WHY...

Old 08-01-2011, 02:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, nobody has mentioned it specifically, but where do you think stuff like that starts? It starts with busybodies worrying about everyone else, usually in response to the use of the term "crisis." All discussions like this do is let the finger pointers revel in their own superiority and fuel the fires of "we've gotta do something about it."

It's not busybodies worrying about everybody else, it's people worried about rising health care costs both in the public and private sector. As I said before, people can do what they want to do, but don't ask me to pay for it. And with smokers, before smoking started being banned everywhere, it was an issue of having to breathe the nasty second-hand smoke everywhere you went. Smokers are still free to smoke, but I'm thrilled that they are no longer fouling the air of every restaurant, mall and office building in the country.

And, by the way, has it occurred to you that even if Medicare etc. don't have to pay for the healthcare effects of being overweight (which is NOT the same thing as obese), they'll pay equally for something else as we get older and begin to die? The cost of dying from anything is expensive in this country and you could totally eliminate obesity and STILL pay though the nose for something.

How do you figure they'll pay equally? Let's say you have a 50-year-old who maintains a healthy weight, takes no medications and sees the doctor once a year for a check-up. Sure, when that person is 75 he may very well develop ailments that need medical attention and will cost the system money. But if he were a 50-year-old obese smoker, chances are very good that he'll be requiring lots more medical care from 50 to 75 for his chronic bronchitis, his arthritic knees and the stroke he suffers at 65. You can argue all you want, but statistically speaking, obesity accounts for a huge percentage of health care costs.

For instance: We heard the same kind of outrage and cheap talk about cigarettes and, eventually, it led to just what will happen in regards to obesity. So far, more than half of smokers have quit because of it. So....we should be seeing healthcare costs go down as a reflection of all that "healthy" behavior, right? So, tell me? How much have YOUR insurance costs gone down? How much has the cost of Medicare and Medicaid gone down? How much did you get back on your taxes because all those smokers are now smoke free and "healthy?" How much has the overall cost of healthcare gone down?

Lemme guess. The answer to all those questions is.....none.

One, as an individual, I am MUCH happier that I rarely encounter any second-hand smoke. Second, do you have any idea how much higher our health care costs would be now than if half of all previous smokers had not quit? And how much better off we'll be as fewer kids take up smoking?
As I've said before, people have EVERY right to live their lives the way they want to. But it's unfair to ask me to pay for your ill health when you could have taken very simple steps to avoid it.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I like the way this posts treats the Midwest as some faraway exotic land and and its inhabitants as some sort of anthropological curiosity. I got news for you, Mr. Eastern Pa -- if my recent trip to Philadelphia is any indication, things aren't substantially different in your corner of the neighborhood.
like I mentioned earlier, I'm from the midwest, lived there for 50 years. Not far from Chicago as a matter of fact. And it's MRS! I don't go into Phillie all that much [except maybe to run the marathon] Guess I just see all the thin people there.

Hey, I love the midwest. I realize that obesity is a nationwide problem.
Just sayin'

Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Where was I mentioning restaurants and their food costs?
Right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I can make a perfectly healthy meal for less than a "value meal" at McDonald's.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 24,616 times
OP, you're right to point out it's a problem. Now, what will YOU do about it, except brag how 'you jog and limit your food' while the (lazy) and (weak) fat pigs do not...?

So go out and be a leader in the community. Be a teacher to these people. Inspire them to change. Teach them how...

Don't just say, "They'll feel better."

Smokers will feel better if they quit the cancer sticks. So will drunks when they give up their beer. Same for sugar addicts, caffeine freaks and down the line.

@D217---

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's laugh at the the 'fat people' in the thread who must defend the other fatties. They must all be whales or something. So, yeah, being fat=being morally bankrupt, weak minded or whatever...

Ha, ha.

When was the last time you went to the gym? I may be overweight but I go 3-4 times a week, plus walk an hour a day. I don't eat fast food nor did I ever finish a whole cheese cake, ice cream pint or other such example of gluttony you may think all heavy people indulge in...

Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAC22 View Post

@D217---

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's laugh at the the 'fat people' in the thread who must defend the other fatties.

Ha, ha.
I wasn't really laughing per se, just addressing the obvious: that all "fat threads" turn into arguments between fat and non-fat.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I got news for you, things are only going to get worse. The price of food is rapidly going up and most people simply wont be able to afford to eat healthy.
Eating healthy is about effort, not dollars.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:03 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I AM NOT ARROGANT, I JUST KNOW HOW TO CONTROL MY FOOD INTAKE.
Yes, actually, your posts are quite arrogant.

And I hope you never experience an injury that keeps you from exercising, contract an illness that messes with your metabolism, or need a medication with a side effect of weight gain, or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness