Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's lots of different things--it's lack of discipline, it's marketing and subsidizing of crap food, it's that kids aren't free to play outside and walk a mile to a friend's house by themselves, it's too many electronics, it's a loss of family time (due to a million causes) that means families don't cook and eat together.

BUT, where the rubber meets the road is what people decide to pick up and put in their mouths every day. KFC or Subway light menu? Soft drink or water? A whole bag of chips or a serving? French fries or carrots with that sandwich? In the end, those choices are the only things we individuals have any control over and all the other factors wouldn't matter if people made the better choices.
Preaching to the choir.

Also, um, portion control would go a long way for people.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, actually, your posts are quite arrogant.

And I hope you never experience an injury that keeps you from exercising, contract an illness that messes with your metabolism, or need a medication with a side effect of weight gain, or worse.
I've been injured many times. I find some other way to exercise until I heal.
I do what I can to combat illnesses and the need to take medication by eating healthy and exercising.
Look people, I know there are exceptions and I know that some people are trying their best and having to work against the odds. I was never referring to those people. If you read my original post, I am referring to the MORBIDLY OBESE people that frequent buffets regularly so that they can consume as much food as humanly possible at one time. The amount of food that others eat over the course of several days! There is a big difference in someone who does not care about how huge they are, nor how unhealthy, to someone who tries to limit what they eat and tries to get some exercise.
Yikes, don't be so sensitive!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:42 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
While I have to agree with many of the posts about how people need to take better care of what they eat and that they are ultimately responsible for making sure their lifestyles reduce health risks, the problem is much more complex than simply placing 100% of the blame on each person who weighs too much, or scolding them in a condescending way (which won't help the problem at all).

Aside from other aspects mentioned here or elsewhere (irresponsible behavior of the eater, lack of choices, predatory food advertising/marketing, lack of education, physical/hormonal/medication side effects, etc.), what about the fact that working Americans (at least the ones who still have a job in this economy) are the most vacation deprived of just about any other country with a developed economy? This places quite a bit of stress on someone, and causes them to do and eat things (empty calorie foods, too much alcohol, etc.) that provides a certain level of "comfort" (i.e. comfort foods) to give them a lift. People eat these certain foods (many times fatty, sugary type foods) because they send a positive message to the reward centers of the brain (through the neurotransmitter dopamine) that says "hey, this feels good, I like this." Chocolate for example has been found to have this effect on dopamine action in the brain.

If people are overworked or overly stressed then they are probably going to be seeking out rewards wherever they can find them (overeating, drinking, smoking, etc.) , if they aren't getting them through relaxation or a vacation. I'm not saying people should use stress as an excuse to eat poorly, but the two often go hand in hand.

Also, a lack of sleep (which often coincides with lack of vacation or down time) has been consistently associated with difficulty in losing or maintaining weight. Just my theory.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-01-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Soft drinks are pretty nasty. I can't believe whole empires have been built on them.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Of course not. I was just advising the OP of the bad karma that can come from harsh and mean-spirited judgements.
I agree with you on the karma thing and I'm grateful every day that I'm able to exercise and cook good food.

But I don't think the OP was being harsh and mean-spirited as much as shocked at what she saw. And it's certainly not just a midwest thing. But I've been to buffets before and felt the same way--wondering where a person is going to fit all that food. I was at a cafeteria and saw a woman get two full entrees and several side dishes for herself. It's not a matter of thinking mean things as much as "Holy cow! That's gotta be 3,000 calories in one meal."

Maybe that is a harsh thing to think. I don't know.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
Quote:
Of course not. I was just advising the OP of the bad karma that can come from harsh and mean-spirited judgements.
Oh,I didn't get that from what you said.
I am actually all about karma. Nothing I said was intended to be mean spirited. I am not making fun of these people, I just feel sorry for them. I don't understand it is all.
In many ways I consider myself extremely fortunate. I am not an addictive personality. Food, to me, is just a way to live. I have, however, studied, learned,practiced, and taken an interest in my and my families health and well being. There are just so many people that are not interested in hearing it.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:08 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
There is a tendency to overeat in US. I have seen well meaning people encourage it. They even over feed their pets.

Partly, I think they have been educated or encouraged incorrectly themselves. I also think public schools need to be ashamed for the "crap" they feed kids. No excuse at all.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
When 66% are overweight and 33%+ are obese (up from 12% 30 years ago), there is no denying Americans have a problem with weight control. Why, how, what to do about the epidemic are up for discussion by scientists, nutritionists, even the first lady. Ridicule of fat people is not, not OK.

I have two obese parents, two obese grandparents and two normal sized grandparents. One of my parents is a healthy obese person, with the exception of arthritis, and one has diabetes with all the terrible associated complications. I am not overweight and have never been, primarily out of fear of developing diabetes.

My generation, the baby boomer mothers, left the home to work and quit cooking. The convenience foods, which are filled with everything except nutrition, became a staple of family meals. I really think my generation's decisions were a major cause of the upward movement of obesity. What to do about it? Go back to basics like eating fresh, home made meals.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-01-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Y'all folks who are obsessive/compulsive about your weight and your health go right on ahead and eat "healthy" and work out and look down your thin, pristine noses at the unenlightened. Go ahead and deny yourself things you like in the name of health, flex your rock-hard abs, pass on that cheese cake. Knock yourselves out.

While y'all are doing that, I think I'll sit on my azz, drink a cold beer, stuff in a few more greasy enchilda's and have a smoke for dessert. Too bad y'all can't join me. I've got plenty and it sure is good!

And, ya know what? You can't prove that I'm taking a single, solitary second off my life. Nor can you prove you're adding one. Neither can you guarantee you'll have better quality of life than I will. And, you can't prove I won't. All you've got is the odds and that's just gambling on a future you have no control over anyhow. You don't even know if you'll live long enough to read this post, but you act like you can manipulate the future. Personally, I think Harrah's has better odds on their slot machines.

I'll bet if someone came on here and said, "Hey! I can see the future!" you'd laugh him off...but you're doing the same thing. If the seer who claims he can see 10 or 20 or 30 years down the road is a screwball, y'all are too.

What a bunch of sissies. To afraid of dying to enjoy life!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Y'all folks who are obsessive/compulsive about your weight and your health go right on ahead and eat "healthy" and work out and look down your thin, pristine noses at the unenlightened. Go ahead and deny yourself things you like in the name of health, flex your rock-hard abs, pass on that cheese cake. Knock yourselves out.

While y'all are doing that, I think I'll sit on my azz, drink a cold beer, stuff in a few more greasy enchilda's and have a smoke for dessert. Too bad y'all can't join me. I've got plenty and it sure is good!

And, ya know what? You can't prove that I'm taking a single, solitary second off my life. Nor can you prove you're adding one. Neither can you guarantee you'll have better quality of life than I will. And, you can't prove I won't. All you've got is the odds and that's just gambling on a future you have no control over anyhow. You don't even know if you'll live long enough to read this post, but you act like you can manipulate the future. Personally, I think Harrah's has better odds on their slot machines.

I'll bet if someone came on here and said, "Hey! I can see the future!" you'd laugh him off...but you're doing the same thing. If the seer who claims he can see 10 or 20 or 30 years down the road is a screwball, y'all are too.

What a bunch of sissies. To afraid of dying to enjoy life!

I agree that nobody knows for certain. The only thing I know is that when I eat well, and am at a good weight I DO feel better. But just like you say, everybody has to make their own choices.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness