Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Conversely, those traveling that so-called "healthy path" don't like us snickering while they choke down a dry salad instead of the greasy burger they're craving. .
Doesnt bother me one bit if someone laughs at what I eat. I eat to fuel my body, I dont live to eat. Big difference. That pretty much the same thing as laughing at a person putting super high octane in their car instead of the low grade AM/PM gas. They would not care because they know what they are fueling up with is superior to others so they are okay with that.

Quote:
They don't like us reminding them that they really don't look all that happy in the gym. Ever see anybody smiling during a workout? Rarely. Their faces are set in lines of grim determination, they're in pain (no pain, no gain), their doing the "right" thing it's making them miserable..
Wrong again. I LOVE working out. LOVE IT. Ever since I was a little kid when I would wake up to watch exercise shows like Beach Fitness, Bodies in Motion and even old re-runs of Jack Lalanne it was something I always just loved to do. If I feel "miserable", I work out and I instantly feel better. Consistent, intense exercise always makes me happy. Makes the wife happy as well because better longer lasting more intense sex is a great byproduct of working out and living a healthy lifestyle.

Quote:
I may look foolish to you having beer and brats, then chasing it down with a cigarette or two, but you look pretty silly spending your whole life doing things you don't enjoy for little, or no, payoff too.
Could disagree more strongly with all that you posted here. I GREATLY enjoy working out. The way some people enjoy movies, or some enjoy eating, I enjoy working out. To me, its play. Nothing wrong with the occasional beer and brat. Heck, I LOVE my Newcastle, Sam Adams and Bass beer. But I think of them as more special occasion food not everyday or every weekend food.

As far a a "PAYOFF" is concerned, the payoff is tremendous my friend. They payoff is increased health, more sex, increased self awareness among thousands of other things, and the ultimate payoff is teaching my kids vital skills to live long healthy lives, and the fact that my wife is HOT. She's not just okay hot or a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 hot, she's 10 hot. Thats a pretty friggin' winning the lotto type payoff there my friend.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
and the fact that my wife is HOT. She's not just okay hot or a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 hot, she's 10 hot. Thats a pretty friggin' winning the lotto type payoff there my friend.

Hold that thought until you're both in you 60's, then get back to me.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM

For those who care, healthy eating DOES cost more---UCSF study.

Study: Healthy Eating Costs More

Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
While here in LA we don't have that many ppl who're morbidly obese like in other states, I have definitely noticed that in the past 15 yrs it's become more acceptable for middle-aged men to be portly. It's almost a sign of male success like pulling up in a Bimmer and flashing a blingy Rolex on your wrist. However, it doesn't apply to older women who're expected to be as thin & gorgeous as Halle Berry, Madonna or Christie Brinkley.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think you are missing his point. I guess its easy to think he's "ridiculing" people when you probably fall into the category of people he's talking about, but I dont see it that way. Actually, I kinda do when comparing it to people who smoke. They KNOW its bad for them. They KNOW its killing them. But still, they do it because they ENJOY it, they love the taste of it, it makes them feel better. With fat people who constantly eat horrible food that is killing them ITS THE SAME THING!! Actually, its worse because they are giving their kids the same thing. You dont see smokers forcing their kids to smoke (but second hand smoke could be considered almost the same thing).

Im always like WTF with people like this. But I do understand (just like smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts) that people who know they are traveling on a dangerous path dont like to hear from others about their awful dangerous ways, and they feel as if someone is personally negatively ATTACKING them if they make mention of their plight, but you know, when they WANT help, or WANT to learn how to improve their lot in life, I would ALWAYS like to help or make suggestions on how to help.
Regarding the above bolded points, maybe some enjoy it but some are ADDICTED and do not enjoy it. As someone who is guilty of just about every bad habit mentioned in this thread, I can tell you I want to quit smoking every day. But I'm addicted and it's a coping mechanism, albeit a lousy one. I've also been known to tip back wayyyy more than the recommended amounts of wine per day, but I have. Again, it's a lousy coping mechanism but it works for some until it no longer works. And as to being overweight, I am absolutely disgusted with myself thinking I must have a tumor in my stomach as I've never been like this in my life. Unfortunately, I grew up a chubby kid who used chocolate chip cookies to deal with life and I have the fat cells now that are far too easy to fill.

It's much more complex than people make it out to be. At one point in my life I was a runner and had a BMI that was so low I experienced amenorrhea (sp?). But stuff happens in life and sometimes you turn to the wrong things to get through the day. I don't enjoy any of it (well, true confession - that morning coffee and cigarette I do enjoy) and spend a great deal of time beating myself up over it. I've eaten practically nothing today as I cannot stand feeling this fat (but part of it has to do with hormones now and I guess androgen is the culprit that is now storing fat in my middle section). Throw in long term unemployment, living in a place I hate yet not sure where to go and no support system and you have the ingredients for the desire of a quick fix. It's not rocket science, but it certainly is not as simple as the OP makes it out to be.

I have a LONG road ahead of me to conquer my demons but I haven't given up the fight. I quit smoking for 15 years once I can do it again. Four years ago I was a size 6 and (maybe) I can be a size 8 again. Well, I could go on and on but I must say the OP over-simplifies and it is an insult to people who may not appear to suffer on the outside, but do on the inside.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Regarding the above bolded points, maybe some enjoy it but some are ADDICTED and do not enjoy it. As someone who is guilty of just about every bad habit mentioned in this thread, I can tell you I want to quit smoking every day. But I'm addicted and it's a coping mechanism, albeit a lousy one. I've also been known to tip back wayyyy more than the recommended amounts of wine per day, but I have. Again, it's a lousy coping mechanism but it works for some until it no longer works. And as to being overweight, I am absolutely disgusted with myself thinking I must have a tumor in my stomach as I've never been like this in my life. Unfortunately, I grew up a chubby kid who used chocolate chip cookies to deal with life and I have the fat cells now that are far too easy to fill.

It's much more complex than people make it out to be. At one point in my life I was a runner and had a BMI that was so low I experienced amenorrhea (sp?). But stuff happens in life and sometimes you turn to the wrong things to get through the day. I don't enjoy any of it (well, true confession - that morning coffee and cigarette I do enjoy) and spend a great deal of time beating myself up over it. I've eaten practically nothing today as I cannot stand feeling this fat (but part of it has to do with hormones now and I guess androgen is the culprit that is now storing fat in my middle section). Throw in long term unemployment, living in a place I hate yet not sure where to go and no support system and you have the ingredients for the desire of a quick fix. It's not rocket science, but it certainly is not as simple as the OP makes it out to be.

I have a LONG road ahead of me to conquer my demons but I haven't given up the fight. I quit smoking for 15 years once I can do it again. Four years ago I was a size 6 and (maybe) I can be a size 8 again. Well, I could go on and on but I must say the OP over-simplifies and it is an insult to people who may not appear to suffer on the outside, but do on the inside.

Please. We don't have to justify ourselves or make excuses to the health Nazi's. If they don't like us, tough.

You are who you are. God loves you. If they don't, that's their problem, not yours.

And yes...you can come over for enchiladas any time!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
It sounds like they are not bright enough to put that together anyway
And see this is what I mean by insulting OP. I was a gifted child in accelerated classes in elementary school. I have an MBA. I used to have a good job. I am bilingual. I am not a stupid person. I live in an upscale neighborhood and not in South Dakota. Sigh. OP needs to be educated methinks. Grrrr...

Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Please. We don't have to justify ourselves or make excuses to the health Nazi's. If they don't like us, tough.

You are who you are. God loves you. If they don't, that's their problem, not yours.

And yes...you can come over for enchiladas any time!
LOL, it is hard to make good enchiladas I must say!

I don't want to come across as making excuses. I am trying to lend some insight into what it means to really grapple with these issues. Plus people who are condescending really tick me off!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Plus size, full-figured, round, large. Truth in labeling would help. Just call it like it is: Size FAT.

It might help.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Plus size, full-figured, round, large. Truth in labeling would help. Just call it like it is: Size FAT.

It might help.
I do believe the title of this thread covers that base, don't you agree?

And I do refer to myself as fat, but I don't have to say it three times to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness