Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I betcha no one in this thread would have the guts to say one tenth of what's been said here to a fat person's face. Keyboard bashers, I tell ya!
Would you have the guts to call a fat person "FAT PERSON" to their face?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM

106 posts, read 287,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And another famous quote:

"My doctor said I need to reduce my amount of red meat"

You don't need a doctor to figure that out
That Doctor is completely incorrect. And so are you.

Other than in cases were people have an allergic reaction to the meat (which does exist), red meat is one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods available. I especially recommend organic grass fed beef, from cows that weren't treated like trash, but cared for well as they should be. Cows were not meant to eat corn! or any other grains. The only reason cows eat that stuff is because idiotic humans feed it to them for a host of selfish reasons, chief among them being $$$.

Red meat does not cause cancer, colon or otherwise. The studies that 'showed' that were done incorrectly and did not account for confounding factors present within the group of people and conditions used. Studies are verrrrrrry tricky to get right. The vast majority of studies are wrong, with wrong conclusions and misleading 'facts'. Yet the entire world bases everything we eat from these studies because they are well funded by giants in the industry. There's almost always a ploy. It's an iron curtain folks. I'm not a conspiracist. I'm just telling you the truth.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why? What's it to you if someone wants to eat that? It's no skin off your nose, is it?
actually it is my problem when others eat like that, because of the way we pool healthcare costs in this country.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Whereas Europe has continued to foster organic and more healthy living and eating options, the USA has continued to drive down the price of calories and farm subsidies continue to pull wool over the eyes of corporations who depend on them to turn a profit. There as an interesting interview with a nutritionist on NPR the other day who remarked that the cost of growing vegetables and other foods that are healthy and organic has gone up over the past 10 years, whereas the cost of manufactured goods like sugar and processed soybeans has fallen by half over the same period.

The net result is that people who usually shop for the lowest price option or people who have no choice to usually pay less but also get less. So they stuff their mouths with unhealthy foods and combine that with a sedentary lifestyle proliferated by TV and a car-centric culture and many more office cubicle type jobs, you get the predictable and totally preventable result.

It's also human nature to ignore these facts and ignore the benefits of preventative measures. Preventative measures are ultimately anti-climactic, so people tend to not see the benefits and see the resulting decay in standards, in this case health, as a "fact of life." This fatalism is deadly.

One area that I like to point out where there's far less obese people is here in the Pacific NW. The multitude of healthy eating options, corporate intervention and getting people to get out and exercise, combined with many many natural wonders to explore and temperate climate, means that the Pacific NW is among the most healthy areas in the nation. We're actually on par with more European nations. You'll see obese people, but they usually are from far southern or rural areas or are tourists. I'm being literal here. Nearly every really fat person I've seen in Seattle said "oh we're from <insert place other than the PNW>"

Hills are also really bad news for fat people and this area has plenty of them.

So I think a social change needs to happen in order for the fat epidemic to come to an end. Stop being complacent and trying to be "accepting" of fat people ... only people with hyper-thyroidism have an excuse to be morbidly obese. I don't want my tax dollars going to give heart bypass surgery for fatsos who can't learn to eat more healthy or get off their fat ass and go for a walk and STOP EATING AS MUCH.

I have no sympathy for fat people. It's laziness combined with a sheer disregard for others. The only fat people I have sympathy for are ones who have a legitimate medical excuse.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
That Doctor is completely incorrect. And so are you.

Other than in cases were people have an allergic reaction to the meat (which does exist), red meat is one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods available. I especially recommend organic grass fed beef, from cows that weren't treated like trash, but cared for well as they should be. Cows were not meant to eat corn! or any other grains. The only reason cows eat that stuff is because idiotic humans feed it to them for a host of selfish reasons, chief among them being $$$.

Red meat does not cause cancer, colon or otherwise. The studies that 'showed' that were done incorrectly and did not account for confounding factors present within the group of people and conditions used. Studies are verrrrrrry tricky to get right. The vast majority of studies are wrong, with wrong conclusions and misleading 'facts'. Yet the entire world bases everything we eat from these studies because they are well funded by giants in the industry. There's almost always a ploy. It's an iron curtain folks. I'm not a conspiracist. I'm just telling you the truth.
Reading comprehension, compadres??

Watch the word "reduce". You can't take a ton of red meat every meal, just coz it's healthy. You surely know where that ton goes.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I am putting this in health because I believe that this is a serious health issue.
We went on vacation recently to the midwest area. We very quickly noticed the abundance of obese people. No wonder this country is in a serious health crisis and it is apalling. Can this ever be turned around or it too late? I find it very sad.
Getting back on topic to the OP. I fully agree how sad America has become regarding our health these days.

Just yesterday my son and I had to go to Walmart for back to school supplies. Normally I don't grocery shop at Walmart, but I decided to pick up some things since we were already there. I grabbed everything I needed in the produce section. Then I decided to look for my veggie burgers which were non existent. I noticed Walmarts huge facade at trying to be a grocery store. All I saw was junk food. Amazingly huge aisles of nothing but processed junk food every where. I firmly believe that corporate America is keeping Americans fat on purpose. It's up to the individual to seek out better, healthier food choices, but a lot of people either don't know how to do that or flat out refuse to do it. My parents are those people. And I have to do what I can to help them change for the better.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I have no sympathy for fat people. It's laziness combined with a sheer disregard for others.
You don't know that. That's an assumption. It's true in many cases, but blanketing every obese person with this logic does not considers other factors at work. I agree with the crux of what you are saying, but there are indeed people who are obese they are trying EVERYTHING they can to lose weight, and coming up short. The reason for that is misinformation. It's not completely their fault. Medical professional, nutritionalists, health gurus... etc... are teaching the wrong stuff to people. Many people are led to believe that eating soy protein, loads of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and reducing saturated fat intake is how to lose weight. ITS NOT WORKING!!!!Amazing isn't it? I would do precisely the opposite aof all of that to lose weight. No soy, a few choice fruits and vegetables, no whole grains, and upping my saturated fat intake.

NO WONDER people are not succeeding. What a mess.

Quote:
The only fat people I have sympathy for are ones who have a legitimate medical excuse.
Just because someone has a medical issue doesn't mean they should accept being overweight. There is almost always a way to overcome a medical issue. The thyroid function is intertwined and connected to sooooooo much of how the body operates. Hypothryoidism can jack you up big time, but there IS a way to fix it. The problem is... especially with something like hypothyroidism, is that were are talking about extraordinarily complicated mechanisms at work, including probable issues with Leptin signaling and maybe even Leptin resistance. But the vast majority of the time, it can be corrected. It takes extreme diligence and ridiculous persistance. Those are two efforts that most people won't make. Also, you must combine that with the right knowledge and application for each person individually. Add all that up and what do you get? A nation of fat people.

I fully believe that all of that can be reversed if we STOP eating crap, be active, have the right attitude, and be diligent about winning. Simple stuff, but a tall order for most folk.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Reading comprehension, compadres??

Watch the word "reduce". You can't take a ton of red meat every meal, just coz it's healthy. You surely know where that ton goes.
Oh please. Give me a break. No reading comprehension problem here.

You said that you don't need a Doctor to tell you to reduce red meat consumption. I'm saying that almost nobody needs to be told that. Very few people in the world are eating too much red meat. I know people that eat 2 pounds per day, every day, and they are fit and happy with their health.

Unless the red meat is unhealthy red meat, it ain't the red meat.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Would you have the guts to call a fat person "FAT PERSON" to their face?
I would never do such a crass thing, but then I am not one of the people bashing fat people in this thread either. I would, however, tell a fat basher a thing or two.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
only people with hyper-thyroidism have an excuse to be morbidly obese. I don't want my tax dollars going to give heart bypass surgery for fatsos who can't learn to eat more healthy or get off their fat ass and go for a walk and STOP EATING AS MUCH.

I have no sympathy for fat people. It's laziness combined with a sheer disregard for others. The only fat people I have sympathy for are ones who have a legitimate medical excuse.
This just shows you do not know what you are talking about. Depakote and Tegretol are two drugs that will pack on 75 lbs easily. These drugs are not taken for thyroid conditions. There are more, of course. I take medications that can also increase weight gain.

And how is someone being fat a sheer disregard for you, unless you're stuck sitting next to one on a plane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness