Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,488,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
actually it is my problem when others eat like that, because of the way we pool healthcare costs in this country.

That's a lame excuse. You're going to pay a share of everyones healthcare cost anyhow, and the cost is NOT going down regardless.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 AM

188 posts, read 972,930 times
I just started reading this thread...and all I can say is ..Wow...so many opinions...but I really have to add to this one from a few days back..

QUOTE=Marlow;20304777]God must not like smokers then, because he strikes them down with cancer at a higher rate than He does non-smokers.[/quote]

That's a very cruel thing to say...so let's see..if I am driving in my car and I get hit by a drunk driver and killed but the drunk who hit me lives..then God liked the drunk driver more?? Yes I know smoking is bad for me and trust me I am really trying to quit..but to say that God must not like smokers??? That's just wrong...

Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,980,553 times
Quote:
actually it is my problem when others eat like that, because of the way we pool healthcare costs in this country.
Well, when you need your knee replacements due to pounding the pavement running all in pursuit of good health, don't expect me to have any sympathy for you either. You'll be costing that pool money for your foolish choice to run on hard pavement.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM

483 posts, read 1,557,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I betcha no one in this thread would have the guts to say one tenth of what's been said here to a fat person's face. Keyboard bashers, I tell ya!
You lose that bet.

A few weeks ago I went out to diner with a group of people. One of the people in the group, who is an acquaintance but not a friend, is 80 pound overweight. A lardass he is. He asked me why I work out and eat healthy because I don't look like I need it. (I'm lean and fit.) I got annoyed at the stupidity of the question and replied in a serious manner, "Because I don't want to look like you".

So if you fatties think I won't say stuff like this to your face, just ask me more stupid questions.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
You lose that bet.

A few weeks ago I went out to diner with a group of people. One of the people in the group, who is an acquaintance but not a friend, is 80 pound overweight. A lardass he is. He asked me why I work out and eat healthy because I don't look like I need it. (I'm lean and fit.) I got annoyed at the stupidity of the question and replied in a serious manner, "Because I don't want to look like you".

So if you fatties think I won't say stuff like this to your face, just ask me more stupid questions.
Well, you will win no awards for tact, diplomacy or intelligence. Nor will you be awarded the Dale Carnegie prize for "How to win friends and influence people."

You can fix fat, but you can't fix tactless, rude or stupid. People who have these traits never see them and don't get it. What you said was very cruel and, quite frankly, makes you a lesser person. Oh, and I wish you were here right now so I could say this to you face to face.

Couldn't you have been a bit more tactful and kind by simply saying "I like being at this weight and feel better for it?" You would have gotten your message across, but then that would involve *thinking.*

Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,665,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's a lame excuse. You're going to pay a share of everyones healthcare cost anyhow, and the cost is NOT going down regardless.
Healthcare costs are higher for fat people.

Quote:
Well, when you need your knee replacements due to pounding the pavement running all in pursuit of good health, don't expect me to have any sympathy for you either. You'll be costing that pool money for your foolish choice to run on hard pavement.
You act like your two choices are to either be fat, or run on pavement.

Losing weight is achieved through a caloric deficit. Running a caloric deficit has as much to do with knowledge as it does with physical effort.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Healthcare costs are higher for fat people.
Knee and hip replacements aren't cheap either.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,665,206 times
Quote:
Knee and hip replacements aren't cheap either.
Agreed, and fat people get those more often.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You act like your two choices are to either be fat, or run on pavement.

Losing weight is achieved through a caloric deficit. Running a caloric deficit has as much to do with knowledge as it does with physical effort.
No, actually, there are lots of choices. I don't know if you run on hard pavement, but I am guessing the OP does. There are several alternatives such as ellipticals, stair steppers, etc that are just as effective if not more so that are easy on the joints and knees.

And this may shock you, but certain people with certain conditions almost have to choose between their mental health or obesity, as things stand in 2011. So simply running a caloric deficit is not the end all, be all. Conversely, some can let their mental health go (for example) and risk a one out of five chance of suicide, but by golly they will weigh less for it. I don't mean to pick on mental health here, but it's just one example.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM

188 posts, read 972,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
You lose that bet.

Maybe this person that said that to you and was paying you a compliment?? I too am overweight and often tell my skinny friends that they look great..and I have friends who are heavier than me..but yet I don't say anything to hurt their feelings..hmmmm..guess I was raised to respect everybody regardless of their weight....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness