Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:14 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
and everybody is different. I can't tell you how many drugs i've been told are weight neutral but are not (for me, at least). I've googled and found numerous posters recount their experiences with everything from weight gain, to hair loss, etc. In fact, i just learned a drug i've been taking for five years can put on weight for some people and that it can cause blood problems. No dr. Mentioned this to me, rather i called my dr. To tell him this.

This is why i do not blindly follow what drs tell me, nor do i bet on the drug manufacturer's site, but i actually go to forums with real live people who are taking said drug.

I also make it a habit to do my own drug interaction checker online and i double check with pharmacists for this and to answer any questions i might have about the prescription itself or the prescriber.

Anyway, i point all this out to emphasize that everyone is different and that people should not paint with too wide a brush. There are many reasons why people are as they are that go beyond "just eat less and exercise more," although that is important. However, it doesn't always work like a snap.

And i would really appreciate it if you would stop with the insults as you just demonstrate your ignorance in doing so. And i am wondering why you started this thread if it wasn't just to bash those different from you or to cause a problem. God knows you've gone out of your way to insult people.
are you more than 100 pounds overweight? Do you go to buffets and shovel in 6 plates of food on a regular basis? If not, then this thread is not directed at, nor complaining about you. I started this thread because I was appalled at all the gigantically enormous people who were not embarrassed to be out in public eating an 8,000 calorie meal in one sitting.
What problem am I causing? Hey, one guy on here already admitted this thread got him to go work out! Problem? These people have much bigger problems than being insulted by me.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
After reading this thread I'm left to believe that if everyone had to wear their faults on their exterior, there would be a lot more 300-pounders out there.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Obesity is a glaring outward sign of everything which is wrong with western society. Western society is greedy, over-consuming, chasing instant-gratification, conformist to an unhealthy, convenience-based stressful lifestyle, hedonistic and selfish. Nowhere else in the world is the condition so prevalent as in the USA, the most materialistic, self-centered and consuming un-civilization in the world.

The real reason why obesity is so associated with guilt so deep down, is because of these under-lying root causes in western society. People know obesity is ultimately of their own making. Genetics can pre-dispose one to it, but do not cause it.

On a one-to-one basis, people with this problem are good at showing off their good intentions and
cover-ups to make themselves seem blameless and unresponsible for their problems. You have been fooled by this too. ( I recently saw a feature with a 600lb woman who claimed in a 2 min sound bite: "oh I eat really healthy - and no more than an average person. Turned out, she actually at 15,000 calories a day.)

Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Obesity is a glaring outward sign of everything which is wrong with western society. Western society is greedy, over-consuming, chasing instant-gratification, conformist to an unhealthy, convenience-based stressful lifestyle, hedonistic and selfish. Nowhere else in the world is the condition so prevalent as in the USA, the most materialistic, self-centered and consuming un-civilization in the world.

The real reason why obesity is so associated with guilt so deep down, is because of these under-lying root causes in western society. People know obesity is ultimately of their own making. Genetics can pre-dispose one to it, but do not cause it.

On a one-to-one basis, people with this problem are good at showing off their good intentions and
cover-ups to make themselves seem blameless and unresponsible for their problems. You have been fooled by this too. ( I recently saw a feature with a 600lb woman who claimed in a 2 min sound bite: "oh I eat really healthy - and no more than an average person. Turned out, she actually at 15,000 calories a day.)
Okay, so we'll roll with that. Tell me then please. What does the 578 million hungry people in the Pacific and Asia say about their lifestyle? Is that testament to their what -selflessness? Generosity? Lack of stress?

Or how about Britain, where apparently the lovely Brits have never heard of toothpaste? What does that say about their civilized ways?

Are you suggesting that the reason parts of Africa are infested with cases of Malaria, is because they are generally nice people, educated, humble?

How about the country of Mauritania in West Africa, where the culture reveres fat women and consider slender women to be sickly and unattractive, and girls are pressured to grow up fat and plump for their husbands? Are they hedonistic and overconsuming too?

Are you really wanting to go there, pretending that obesity is proof of an entire country's ills?

Because if you do, there's a few choice words I can say about the French and their cigarettes, and Wales and their sheep, and so on and so forth.

And since when is it a bad thing to WANT better, and attempt to work toward better than whatever you have now? Being poor, giving all your worldly goods away, caring so little about yourself that you work yourself to death and leave your family without a parent...does not make you a superior human being. It just makes you poor, unencumbered, and dead.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
are you more than 100 pounds overweight? Do you go to buffets and shovel in 6 plates of food on a regular basis? If not, then this thread is not directed at, nor complaining about you. I started this thread because I was appalled at all the gigantically enormous people who were not embarrassed to be out in public eating an 8,000 calorie meal in one sitting.
What problem am I causing? Hey, one guy on here already admitted this thread got him to go work out! Problem? These people have much bigger problems than being insulted by me.
Why the arbitrary number? No, I do not go to buffets, but if I'm lucky I will go to one Chinese buffet every year or two.

I highly doubt these obese people like being as they are and I do believe it's an eating disorder, just the opposite end of anorexia. Having gained so much weight myself in the past few years, I feel sorry for them. It is physically UNCOMFORTABLE to carry around that much weight. However, this focus on weight leads to things like eating disorders. I think I've had all three eating disorders going on in my life at one point or another. I had one can of soup yesterday - that's it. I haven't eaten much today either. With any luck the pendulum will swing the other way for me and soon. And when one puts on a lot of weight, exercise is harder than you think. I have an elliptical and that is one thing I must start doing again, but it's 108 here today and I am not starting off an exercise program in this heat. My preference would be to ease into a program and not keel over of a heart attack on my elliptical.

I know I have to lose weight for a variety of reasons - primarily health related and the fact I can't stand feeling this way. But when you're looking at climbing a mountain, it can be a bit overwhelming. I've lost almost four lbs in the past two days, courtesy of Adderall. Hey, whatever it takes to get it done. When I lose more exercise will be easier. Anyway, in the interest of not writing a novel, I'd just like to see some compassion extended in this thread. People don't bash anorexics, so why morbidly obese?

And no to gaining 100 lbs, but I have put on a LOT of weight and this is the most I've ever weighed. I got here via a series of circumstances that are not that straightforward. And one more point, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:

I must ask you - are you in the mental health field? Because it seems to me like you're projecting YOUR stuff onto those who are obese. I certainly do not feel guilty deep down, more like perplexed I yo yo'd again. I do know why, but I am not about to spill it on the Net in a public forum. And how do you know genetics don't play a role or cause it? Are you a scientist too? For your information, hormones play a role, mental health plays a role, where you live even plays a role. How much money you make plays a role. Well, my cursor is going crazy so I'll leave it here.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: personal attack
The bitterness you demonstrate towards Western civilisation is simply incredible. If the experts in obesity don't truly understand it then you, as a layperson at best, should keep your skewed opinions to yourself because you have certainly made yourself look like a judgmental nasty person with this post.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-07-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,135 times
The increased costs affect us a lot.The costs of Health care are rising rapidly and many,It's right, many diseases are caused or exacerbated by obesity. Diabetes, heart disease, cancer and arthritis have all been linked to obesity.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerever View Post
The increased costs affect us a lot.The costs of Health care are rising rapidly and many,It's right, many diseases are caused or exacerbated by obesity. Diabetes, heart disease, cancer and arthritis have all been linked to obesity.
I don't think anyone is saying obesity is a good thing. But if people would forget about their pocketbooks and have some compassion, this world would be a better place.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:00 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Quote:
I certainly do not feel guilty deep down, more like perplexed I yo yo'd again.
Well good! Guilt is a very negative emotion so well done that you aren't guilty.

Quote:
And how do you know genetics don't play a role or cause it? Are you a scientist too? For your information, hormones play a role, mental health plays a role, where you live even plays a role. How much money you make plays a role. Well, my cursor is going crazy so I'll leave it here.
Genes can pre-dispose one to various conditions, yes they can. But that does not mean to say they will cause that condition. People with genes predisposing them to obesity do have to be more careful about watching their weight than people like me for example who are genetically pre-disposed to being very light and slim. There sure is a genetic component in it.

I know hormones, mental health, and even your location play a role. But are you simply using these as excuses? Whatever the cause of your fatness, it is your challenge to deal with it.

As for money, the less money you have, the thinner you should be!! I don't believe in this crap about healthy food being too expensive. That's rot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness