Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:06 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: personal attack Moderator cut: orphaned part of post isn't that what people (well, Americans) say when they haven't got any mature, meaningful discussion or argument to put forward? Ah yes, I see it is.

Obviously don't know? Haha. All I said about anything genetic, was "Genetics can pre-dispose one to obesity, but do not cause it.", which is an entirely accurate and correct statement. You don't even appear to know what the "pre-dispose" even means, if you think I know nothing about it , from that statement. It means, the "pre-disposition" is there - a latent gene, which can be activated, exists, but environmental factors are generally the trigger for this to occur.

I know a lot about genes, given that I myself have some "weird" genetic pre-dispositions/mutations, for example autism and coeliac disease, and have studied the topic intensely. I have undergone genetic testing to identify the root cause of various problems I was having, and know about the process, and about how genetic pre-disposition works. So, bad luck, you guessed wrong, I obviously know a lot about the subject, you'd just like to think I don't.

The latter genetic mutation (that can cause coeliac disease) in particular predisposes one to an inability to tolerate the gluten protein, so that the body sends out anti-bodies which attack the intestinal lining and result in mal-absorption, if gluten is consumed. The genetic mutation itself, pre-disposes you to the condition. This means, it is "latent" if you will, in your genetic make-up, and takes a "trigger" to develop the condition. In my case, eating gluten triggered the reaction, and I developed the full blown disease.

With a lot of obesity, there are genes associated with storing excess body fat, and it works the same way. They predispose the person to storing excess fat in the event that they consume excessive calories, then their body is unable to burn them off as my body would, it stores them as fat instead. And yes, this is just one of the "whole multitude" of factors which contribue to obesity. Just a drop in the ocean, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The bitterness you demonstrate towards Western civilisation is simply incredible. If the experts in obesity don't truly understand it then you, as a layperson at best, .
I am not a layperson at best. I know a lot about maintaining a healthy weight, good eating habits, exercise and a lifestyle which is conducive to being fit and healthy. I have never allowed myself to gain weight. I'm not boasting, I'm saying it how it is. You can't claim that though. So it would go without saying that I know much much more about the subject than you, or other overweight/obese people. You and other fat people are unsuccessful with this. So you're the projector here, telling me I don't know anything, when I am the one living the life of health and fitness which I know all about, while you sit on your fat bottom arguing.

So. Come on then. What do you know about obesity? Please explain. Tell me about this multitude of "other factors" in such a way that doesn't make them sound like they are an excuse for your and other's failure to lose weight. Do. Unless you can walk the talk like me, you are the one who knows nothing.

There are lots of other factors which contribute to obesity of which I am well aware.

But the fact remains the same - they are not excuses, just another challenge to overcome in your quest against obesity. Good luck. With your exceptional ignorance, defensiveness and like-wise judgemental remarks to me, you may need it!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-07-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Obesity is a glaring outward sign of everything which is wrong with western society. Western society is greedy, over-consuming, chasing instant-gratification, conformist to an unhealthy, convenience-based stressful lifestyle, hedonistic and selfish. Nowhere else in the world is the condition so prevalent as in the USA, the most materialistic, self-centered and consuming un-civilization in the world.

The real reason why obesity is so associated with guilt so deep down, is because of these under-lying root causes in western society. People know obesity is ultimately of their own making. Genetics can pre-dispose one to it, but do not cause it.

On a one-to-one basis, people with this problem are good at showing off their good intentions and
cover-ups to make themselves seem blameless and unresponsible for their problems. You have been fooled by this too. ( I recently saw a feature with a 600lb woman who claimed in a 2 min sound bite: "oh I eat really healthy - and no more than an average person. Turned out, she actually at 15,000 calories a day.)
Well, I would have to agree with you on this, and I referred to this fact in an earlier post. Travel to other countries and spend time there, then really take a look at your fellow Americans. It's an eye opener. The US has become a laughing stock all over the world. We ARE a nation of self indulgent whiners, blaming someone or something else for our misfortunes.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Well, I would have to agree with you on this, and I referred to this fact in an earlier post. Travel to other countries and spend time there, then really take a look at your fellow Americans. It's an eye opener. The US has become a laughing stock all over the world. We ARE a nation of self indulgent whiners, blaming someone or something else for our misfortunes.
and yet, we're still what the world aspires to be.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I travel abroad often. Other countries are slowly catching up with our overweight lifestyle.

I suspect our country's leadership has more to do with the decline in positive American sentiment than our weight issues.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Well good! Guilt is a very negative emotion so well done that you aren't guilty.

Genes can pre-dispose one to various conditions, yes they can. But that does not mean to say they will cause that condition. People with genes predisposing them to obesity do have to be more careful about watching their weight than people like me for example who are genetically pre-disposed to being very light and slim. There sure is a genetic component in it.

I know hormones, mental health, and even your location play a role. But are you simply using these as excuses? Whatever the cause of your fatness, it is your challenge to deal with it.

As for money, the less money you have, the thinner you should be!! I don't believe in this crap about healthy food being too expensive. That's rot.
Good post. The only thing I'll disagree with (that you wrote) is that poverty lends itself to obesity. Hard to get good produce, etc in the inner cities. And the people with the money can join gyms, hire personal trainers - just a bit more motivating in terms of staying in shape plus access to better stores.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I travel abroad often. Other countries are slowly catching up with our overweight lifestyle.

I suspect our country's leadership has more to do with the decline in positive American sentiment than our weight issues.

I think mainly due to our fast foods making their way over there. I know my friends in Serbia see more overweight teens due to that fact. But then too, their, "overweight" definition is different from our definition!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

Bingo! I just heard yesterday that obesity is becoming an issue in India (along with diabetes). Notice the connection? As they become more affluent (in large part due to our outsourcing) they get fatter.

And this country's credit rating was not downgraded due to obesity, rather the world sees what is going on between the two parties and has decided we've become ungovernable.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Just some statistics I came across:

1] Severely obese people die 8-10 years sooner than those of normal-weight, similar to smokers, and they are more likely to develop diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
[all obvious]

2] Obesity is a burden on health systems, with health care expenditure for an obese person at least 25% higher than for someone of normal weight.

Just looking at the increasing obesity statistics for the world over the last ten years or so. Basically, all increases of obesity for other countries are attributed to their adoption of western food. When they abandon their own cultural traditions, things go south rapidly. It's such a shame. I would highly suspect that it is the younger generation only that views the American culture as appealing and something to strive for. Too bad it has made so many turn away from their own way of {healthier} life. The older, wiser population most likely sees it like it is, as in, see list from above.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But most of them think their governments are corrupt and they'd be able to do better here. That trumps any of those negatives they might perceive about Americans. They too believe in American exceptionalism and would gladly come to be a part of it. You're selling your country short.
Possibly. I do love the United States. It is my home. I have been able to make the most of many things this country has to offer. But I do believe somewhere along the way, things have taken a wrong turn.
Anyway, trying to stay on just the obesity topic, I guess education is the key, in terms of trying to end the yearly increase in the growing obesity statistics. I know many people in Europe do not want these American fast food franchises being put in their countries. But, it's a huge money making industry.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Oh, and I just want to throw this out there for all the "judgers" in this thread. I've lost 3.4 lbs since Friday, FRIDAY and it's Sunday. How? Changed brain chemistry, that's all. More dopamine in my brain and I suspect an increased metabolism due to a new drug I'm taking. This should make anyone think about the role of brain chemistry and obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness