U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,197,171 times

Advertisements

Sounds like muscle tension, which TMJ dysfunction could cause. I take Fioricet for migraines which has a muscle relaxer and it works for these kinds of headaches.

Just noticed this is three years old, but maybe it will still help someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,072,566 times
Just don't ignore these headaches. A OMG headache can be the warning of an aneurysm. The Storage Wars auctioneer had one of these headaches, found a double aneurysm. After surgery, he will be fine, but by going to the doctor promptly, saved his life.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 613 times
Default Great thread!

I got rid of my headaches that I suffered from for years. When I got a headaches that sounds just like what is described in this post and what people talked about in the comments. When I had a headache I could not function. It shut me down. I suffered very badly until I googled these six words “pain at base of skull sinus” and I got my life back! I will never forget them. You should check it out.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:16 PM

17,681 posts, read 17,749,595 times
I have damaged nerves all over my body....including cranial-nerves. I have had very-sharp stabbing pain in the nerves on the scalp and base of the spine. The pain would be best described as very sharp and very brief.....a horrible pain that is thankfully brief.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 AM

1 posts, read 85 times
Default Sugar

I've had ice pick headaches off and on for years. I was diagnosed with occipital neuritis when I was about 17. My doc told me I'd grow out of it. I did, but in later years (I'm now 61) they came back. I also get these random stabby pains in other parts of my body, it's not always only in my head.

It seems to me that when I have too much sugar these pains start in. Right now, I've just had about a week of stress and anxiety but ALSO a lot of sugar. I'm on day 4 of these awful stabs in my head. Ibuprophen along with acetaminophen seems to help. Of course, as soon as it wears off the pain returns. Hot cloths over my eyes can help. A hot tub is always a good idea if you have one. I've also used cannabis, seems to help a little. I took Percocet last night but I don't think it was as effective as the ibuprofen/acetaminophen combo.
I might try Flexeril next to see if it helps. Has anyone tried muscle relaxers?

Try to pay attention to your sugar intake and see if there is a connection. Sugar can cause inflammation. When I'm on a low carb diet, I don't get the ice-pick pain. There could be a connection there. Stress and anxiety will do it too.

What do you think?

Old 10-29-2019, 04:46 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,899,457 times
Never had ice pick headaches (actually never heard of that). But the one time I had intermittent stabbing pain on the side of my head and into my ear, it was an inflamed nerve in one of my molars. I ended up having it pulled, pain went away. The tooth itself never bothered me, but the stabbing pain through the ear and side of my head was awful.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 13,439,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Just don't ignore these headaches. A OMG headache can be the warning of an aneurysm. The Storage Wars auctioneer had one of these headaches, found a double aneurysm. After surgery, he will be fine, but by going to the doctor promptly, saved his life.
Yes, my sister said 'icepick' - it was a stroke on the right, a better side, meaning a bleed in the brain...blood leaking in the
brain apparently kills brain cells, never knew that...one reason to get to a doctor fast.
I believe they can tell a lot with simple tests - looking into your eyes with their flashlight says a lot.
Not to alarm - but, not a bad idea.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:10 AM

17,681 posts, read 17,749,595 times
See a doctor.

To me, it sounds a lot like some sort of nerve aggravation/inflammation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness