Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times

Advertisements

I just read the other thread on anemia and did not want to hijack that thread but my Dr. told me yesterday I am borderline anemic and that it's a good thing I am having a colonoscopy done next week. Now he's got me all worried that I must have some internal bleeding as I haven't had a period in a very long time. Given the fact I am borderline (as in just lower than the cutoff for normal), do you think it's possible that it's just because I don't eat red meat? I do eat eggs often but none of the other foods mentioned in that thread (like liver, etc).

Anyway, went to the store this a.m. to look for an iron supplement but the pills were too big for me to take so I'll have to go to the health food store for some liquid iron. Still, I am concerned. Should I be? Am I over reacting? I don't know much about anemia although years ago my blood cells were out of whack and I took some vitamin supplements (think it was B12) and that seemed to fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Yes you're overreacting. Lots of people are borderline anemic. Most of those borderline anemic people are -not- bleeding internally. Most of them just don't get enough iron in their diets.

Add a teaspoon of peanutbutter every day and that's probably enough to kick it over the edge so it's not on the border anymore. Whenever you eat salad, replace half the lettuce with spinach and that'll help keep it inside that border.

If you're borderline anemic, you do -not- need a supplement. You just need to eat foods with more iron in it than you are currently.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Yes, you are over-reacting. I've been anemic off and on for years. It's common for menstruating women, especially if they don't eat red meat. Even if you're menopausal, if you don't eat many sources of iron it's not unusual to be anemic. Once you have the all-clear on your colonoscopy, ask your doc for a presecription for an iron supplement. You can buy them OTC, but there are some prescription ones that are more easily absorbed by your body.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
AnonChicks right!...do you like liver and onions?...lots of iron there.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
AnonChicks right!...do you like liver and onions?...lots of iron there.
Can't rep you again yet, but thanks. I like onions, but not liver. I guess I'll just google on iron rich food and go from there. Also, I have some B12 supplements. Could be that.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
purehuman asked if you like liver and onions, because it's a common way to serve liver. The point was that liver is loaded with iron. The onions won't raise your iron count; it'll just give a good flavor to the liver. Personally I like chopped liver on rye bread. But that's just how I roll.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Good sources of iron are tofu, dried beans, dried fruit and eggs

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Thanks all. The only thing I like on the list is eggs. I can eat plenty of eggs. Costco (here) now sells them a really nifty way. Two dozen hard boiled and peeled eggs for $4. Don't ask me how they do it, but they do. It's just great as it's easy to screw up hard boiled eggs. So I'll just eat more of those. Plus, I have sublingual B12 pills and am going to buy the iron supplement. I just hope there is nothing wrong going on. Thanks for the reassurances.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
When's the last time you had it checked? You might have been borderline anemic before you had your last period or it could be that you don't eat red meat and don't get it from other sources.

And Whatsthenews, I hate to sound like a know it all, but tofu is a terrible source of iron--it has plenty but the phytates in unfermented soy won't let you absorb it. I'd try tempeh or miso instead.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I just read the other thread on anemia and did not want to hijack that thread but my Dr. told me yesterday I am borderline anemic and that it's a good thing I am having a colonoscopy done next week. Now he's got me all worried that I must have some internal bleeding as I haven't had a period in a very long time. Given the fact I am borderline (as in just lower than the cutoff for normal), do you think it's possible that it's just because I don't eat red meat? I do eat eggs often but none of the other foods mentioned in that thread (like liver, etc).

Anyway, went to the store this a.m. to look for an iron supplement but the pills were too big for me to take so I'll have to go to the health food store for some liquid iron. Still, I am concerned. Should I be? Am I over reacting? I don't know much about anemia although years ago my blood cells were out of whack and I took some vitamin supplements (think it was B12) and that seemed to fix the problem.
I am sure your doctor asked you if you were having any symptoms such as chills, weakness, exercise intolerance, dizziness, excessive irritability??????

I have been anemic for a long time and had a colonoscopy, it was normal. I think that it is pretty easy to become anemic if you are not eating animal foods that are high in iron on a regular basis.

Iron deficient anemia is common, people do not like eating the bleechy bits of animals.....the best source of iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness