U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,966,575 times

Advertisements

I got progressives a few years ago and couldn't stand them. I went back three days later and got regular bifocals. I think what bothered me the most about the progressive was that if I tried to look out the corner of my eyes, I couldn't see. I got tired of having to turn my whole head just to see clearly. To each his/her own I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 PM

27 posts, read 232,811 times
I went back to eyemasters and had mine adjusted twice, then had them redo the lenses, then I went to the optical shop next to my doctors office, they adjusted them properly and they were great. If they are making you miserable it may simply be because they are not adjusted correctly.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,107,764 times
Some of us just can't get used to the progressives. One optometrist told me that it's usually more difficult for older folks to get to used to them (how old is old?). Anyhow, I was wearing them when backing up in a parking garage--the view through my glasses was so distorted I backed into metal pole, denting my bumper! That's all it took for me to give up on the progressives.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 PM

16,409 posts, read 27,056,206 times
I love my progressive lenses, but it did take some time to get used to them ahhaha, I have walked into doors, knocked over glasses on the table, tripped on stairs, felt like I was 3 feet tall . It was actually kind of fun, but I couldn't be happier with mine.. it took me about a week to really get used to them, maybe a week and a half, but they were also my first pair of glasses I've ever had.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 PM

10,194 posts, read 22,681,504 times
I was told years ago that i needed bifocals. I tried them on in the Lens Crafters store and became really nauseated. I then told the eye doctor that and he said I was not a candidate for them. I much prefer my reading glasses when I need them. Never a problem with them unless I forget I have them on, then try to walk with them to another room. Not good.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 9,333 times
I've had my progressives for 2 days and hate them. It seems like I am always looking through fog except if i'm looking directly at something. I'm having a hard time focusing with each head movement. Going up the stairs is fine but going down is another story. I will try them for another week and hope that it gets better.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,700,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
People I know who wear them, and what I've read, assure me I will. And granted, it's only been a few hours.

I'm glad I went with cheap frames and plastic lenses for my first pair to save money! It's my first-ever pair of prescription glasses although I've been wearing drug store readers for about seven years. I have to say, when I find the "sweet spot" I can see things better than I've been able to in years. But I can't walk in them because it's too disorienting, and since I sat down at my computer I haven't been able to find the "sweet spot" to see the screen clearly. I'm heeding the optometrist's advice: turn my head instead of my eyes, point my nose at whatever I want to focus on, etc.

I shall persevere, but does anyone simply never get used to these things? How long should I give it before I go back and ask them to change them, if I don't get used to this? Or am I just being a drama queen about it?

Ahhhhhh. I just put my Rite-Aid readers back on. Much better.
It will take you a lot longer than a few hours, but you will get used to them. It took me awhile. I have progressive trifocals and it took quite a long time to get used to moved my head up and down to see what I wanted to see clearly.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM

8,517 posts, read 4,055,885 times
Apparently I was one of those rare people who adjusted to progressive lenses nearly instantly. I went from using drug store re.ading glasses to progressive bifocals. Adjustment was probably a couple of hours. There are still a couple of things that are difficult, mainly using an escalator. I usually just pop the glasses up on my head. But how often does one use the escalator anyway?

I've no problems whatsoever with them.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 PM

2,574 posts, read 4,838,502 times
When I got my first pair last year, the optician warned me, and I quote: "You'll think you're in eyeglasses he!! for a week or so." I was actually pleased to discover that I got used to mine very quickly. Before I got them, I could see close up and see my computer fine without glasses, but had to put my glasses on for distance, and take them off to read labels in the grocery store. Now I can see close up, see the computer, and see far away just fine.

One tip she gave me was to look directly at what you're trying to see. The peripheral vision with progressives isn't as clear as with single-vision lenses, apparently.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:56 PM

14,618 posts, read 14,574,322 times
I got on with these lenses straight away.

For safety's sake I drove home wearing my old spectacles, but was happy with them from the word go.

I purposely chose frames which were taller than my thinnish previous pair so that the graduation was more gradual than it would have otherwise have been.

I also went for high quality lenses.

I wouldn't be without them and life is so much easier nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness