U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,864,918 times

Advertisements

People I know who wear them, and what I've read, assure me I will. And granted, it's only been a few hours.

I'm glad I went with cheap frames and plastic lenses for my first pair to save money! It's my first-ever pair of prescription glasses although I've been wearing drug store readers for about seven years. I have to say, when I find the "sweet spot" I can see things better than I've been able to in years. But I can't walk in them because it's too disorienting, and since I sat down at my computer I haven't been able to find the "sweet spot" to see the screen clearly. I'm heeding the optometrist's advice: turn my head instead of my eyes, point my nose at whatever I want to focus on, etc.

I shall persevere, but does anyone simply never get used to these things? How long should I give it before I go back and ask them to change them, if I don't get used to this? Or am I just being a drama queen about it?

Ahhhhhh. I just put my Rite-Aid readers back on. Much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

6,696 posts, read 7,088,470 times
How long have you had them? It generally takes an average of one week to become accustomed to them - but, and this is a bit but - you need to wear them all the time to get used to them. If I switch back and forth from my single vision to my progressives, it's quite disorienting (both ways).

Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
How long have you had them? It generally takes an average of one week to become accustomed to them - but, and this is a bit but - you need to wear them all the time to get used to them. If I switch back and forth from my single vision to my progressives, it's quite disorienting (both ways).
Well crap. Here I am all happy wearing my readers right now!

Since about 9 am, so only six hours or so. I know, drama queen much, right? LOL. I dutifully wore them as much as possible for a good five hours, though...

OK, back on. I'm really having a hard time seeing the computer screen clearly with them though, unless I work to find the right spot and then stay really, really still.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:50 PM

15,803 posts, read 9,819,942 times
I feel for you and will follow this thread closely. Progressives are right around the corner for me. I'll second what Emerald said - my Optometrist said if/when I go with progressives it's imperative not to switch back and forth between the old and new glasses.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I feel for you and will follow this thread closely. Progressives are right around the corner for me. I'll second what Emerald said - my Optometrist said if/when I go with progressives it's imperative not to switch back and forth between the old and new glasses.
The optometrist I went to said no such thing....but then again, I went to Wal-Mart (no vision insurance so I went the cheap route) so maybe that's why.

I'm wearing the stupid bifocals, and won't take my single visions to work with me for the rest of the week. I'm taking it on faith that everyone who says I WILL get used to these is right.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 PM

5,226 posts, read 13,866,846 times
You WILL get used to them...it just takes time! Good luck!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,726,502 times
One week and you should be fine. I still miss my contacts, though, and I've been in progressives for 5 years.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,763,602 times
I have worn progressive trifocals for about 15 years. When I got my first pair, my ophthamologist did some type of compression. When we moved to Delaware and I went to a new eye doctor, they didn't do the compression and I could not wear my glasses. Took them back and they compressed and now I have no problem. Don't know what the real name of the procedure is, but I would call your eye doctor.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Day three, I am definitely getting used to these things. Except at work (painting houses) because it really felt too weird and a bit unsafe to be going up and down ladders wearing them.

I'll persevere; I think I'll get used to them in time. I love the clarity; didn't realise how crappy my 53-year old vision had become!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,790,024 times
I have 3 pairs of glasses, one pair of progressives for church so I can read,sing,then watch the preacher,one pair of readers for the computer,because there is NO way I can use them at the computer! and one pair of distance only glasses(and sunglasses)for television watching,because sometimes I recline and no way can I see TV right when reclined. Im used to switching,it can be done!

Greenchili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness