U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,717,707 times

Advertisements

What do suppose is causing that? I've heard not enough water, but I just drink when I'm thirsty (mostly soda and orange juice, some coffee and a couple glasses of water a day). On the arches of my feet sometimes but mostly my fingers and hand and then they lock, excruciating pain. Any one suffer from this and what do you do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 AM

3,291 posts, read 7,414,432 times
I live at altitude and the rule up here to avoid dehydration is to drink before you are thirsty. Coffee and soda really don't help with hydration, water really is the key, you can try adding something like emergenC if don't like the taste of plain water. Your Potassium could also be low, bananas and potatoes are great sources of it. Certain antibiotics, like Flagel can cause cramping if you've been on them recently.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,919,091 times
You are drinking things that actually cause dehydration. Anything with caffeine is not good. Drink at least 6 glasses of water per day.

If your fingers "lock up" you could have trigger finger, which is an orthopedic problem. Does a finger suddenly seize up in a cramped position which is very painful? Can you push it back out and the pain goes away in a minute or so? That's trigger finger and you need injections to cure it. I've had maybe 3-4 fingers injected over the years. I won't lie, the injection is painful but the relief is immediate. If the injections don't work, surgery is the next step.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 PM

42,662 posts, read 76,372,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Coffee and soda really don't help with hydration, water really is the key, you can try adding something like emergenC if don't like the taste of plain water. .
Add about 1/8 cup of bottled lemon juice per gallon of tap water (no sugar, just the juice). It really kicks out the tapwater taste, and adds a pleasant tang, as well as vitamin C. It'll make it taste so good, you'll find yourself drinking plenty. I get a generic brand of lemon juice here for about 1.29 a quart, it lasts a month or two.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,721,701 times
Try drinking a glass or two of Gatorade or Tonic (Quinine) water. It could be an electrolytes problem or lack of Potassium. Water does not always fulfill what your body needs.

Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc & Vitamin D (combined) tablets may also help with cramps.

I'm having the same problem from a drug I take and was advised on the above to try. But talk to your doctor.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:07 PM

9,966 posts, read 17,872,765 times
Are you taking any statin drugs? I've heard that they can cause this also.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 PM

15,406 posts, read 20,595,156 times
Your symptoms could be caused by many problems. I have exactly the same issues and they're caused by back problems, including (but not limited to) sciatica. Sciatica doesnt always manifest itself as back pain; the pain can be referred to other parts of the body.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 AM

8,874 posts, read 14,049,864 times
I live in Arizona and while I do drink a LOT of water (and very few of the dehydrating beverages) and take a daily potassium pill, if I overexert on a hot day, it always shows up in feet and hand cramps that usually are bad enough to propel me out of bed in the middle of the night. I drink a glass of Gatorade and it goes away. I keep a bottle in the fridge at all times. I'm sure glad it's there when I get propelled out of bed in the middle of the night and have to limp to the kitchen.

I do NOT drink Gatorade all the time though -- too much glucose for me. But please don't mess around with dehydration. Having imbalanced electrolytes does a real number on your body. About seven years ago, a weird combination of cold medicine, a coast-to-coast plane flight, and a hectic LONG day at work when I returned home caused me to become dehydrated. I got such horrible leg cramps I fell ... and broke my leg.

Dehydration can also cause bad headaches. jtur88's suggestion regarding lemon juice is a good one, especially if plain water makes you feel bloated. A quarter-cup of organic, unsweetened cranberry juice added to a gallon of water is also a good idea for a healthy bladder and kidneys.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 08-14-2011 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,845,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Try drinking a glass or two of Gatorade or Tonic (Quinine) water. It could be an electrolytes problem or lack of Potassium. Water does not always fulfill what your body needs.

Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc & Vitamin D (combined) tablets may also help with cramps.

I'm having the same problem from a drug I take and was advised on the above to try. But talk to your doctor.
Agree!
I have to drink Gatorade mixed with water if it's hot and I've been exercising or doing yard work. Helps replace the lost sodium and potassium, rather than just water.
Other thing that can cause cramps is magnesium deficiency as you say.
To the OP- do you take any meds for BP?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,717,707 times
Thanks all for the suggestions, sounds like more water for me even though I, really don't like it the lemon idea sounds good. Whatsthenews....your suggestion is exactly what my kid's football coach is telling his athletes to do, a Gatoraide/water mix. It's brutally hot right now here in FL, 90-94 degrees.

I'm not on statins or bp meds, just Synthroid, Dilaudids, and Valiums under the care of 2 Orthapedists, so Southern Belle I'll talk to them about injections because what you describe is exactly what happens, some or all fingers will "lock" and even though I try to pull them back, it is futile, gotta ride it out for a few minutes until they decide to stop cramping. One time, I handed a cashier some money and they tried to lock so I threw my hand down on the counter and had to compress and hold it with the other hand to keep it flat, it has a tendency to curl up in awkward positions and lock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness