Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 AM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if I might have an ovarian cyst. I've never had one before.

I've been having lower right pelvic/groin pain--mild aching pain, but it sort of comes and goes and it sometimes sharp (but still mild). I've had it for about 5 weeks now, off and on. It's not associated with my menstrual cycles in any way. I don't have any pain with sex. It is associated with movement.

I've had this before--one time when I was 27, I had this same type of pain and went to my gyn and there wasn't a cyst, but the pain lasted for about 9 months. Then over the years I've had it off and on, most recently in June for about 5 weeks.

I'm interested to hear what kinds of symptoms women who have ovarian cysts have had. My other thought is that it is IBS, of which I get flare-ups occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I had one that was quite large, but I didn't have any pain at all. It was found during a routine gyn checkup. So pain may not be a good indicator. Mine was a fluid filled cyst that was on the verge of breaking. I had emergency surgery the next day to remove it.

The first thing that I thought of when I started reading your post was that you had a small hernia. Have you told your doctor about this? If not, it's time you did. Pain that comes and goes, especially when you move, is a good indicator of a hernia.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Well its not normal so I would go and have it checked out. There are so many things that can go wrong in that area. My gram had cysts and didnt know either. She thought she was just getting a "fat gut".
Also found at just a general check up. And not to scare you but another friends mother had a similar pain and had colon cancer removed. SHe caught it early so she was totally fine.
So go and get that camera up your butt and check it out!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 PM

428 posts, read 1,630,393 times
It could be an ovarian cyst, but it could also be a number of other things including irritable bowel, other bowel problems, adhesions (if you've ever had any abdominal surgery), endometriosis, kidney stone, and others.

I had ovarian cysts due to endometriosis, and they caused no particular symptoms until one of them started to bleed into my pelvic cavity periodically, at which time it felt like what acute appendicitis must feel like--very bad, doubled over in pain. But symptoms can be less severe, so do check things out. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
I will make an appt. to discuss with my gyn. It is very mild and comes and goes, and I've had episodes of this before, over the past 4 years, so I really don't know what to make of it. At no time is the pain severe or even moderate.

It's right in the location of my ovary but I think it's either IBS (which I have) or pelvic floor dysfunction of some sort. I went to my gyn once before when I was having this same pain and there was nothing going on there.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 128,553 times
i've been suffering from cysts on both ovaries since the spring of this year. my pain has got so intense this past 2 months. i've also got a small fibroid, my dr has just put me on the pill i couldn't wait for the 3 months too see if they would go away. i started the pill 11 days ago and i'm still waiting to feel goOD i still have the pain it seems the pain has gone to the middle of my adbomen now and i feel like i have a dull aching feeling in my vigna feels like cramps and constipation at the same time. moving bowels some what. i've been urinating alot especially when the pain is there. i'm 42 and i have 4 kids. last month i had a brown discharge for the whole month with the pain. this month i missed my period and still with the pain and i started the pill HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT TILL I NOTICE AN IMPROVEMENT IN THE PAIN?i've been taking Tynole for 3 months, the last 2 months every day, heating pad i sleep with at night this seems to bother me more in the night this month, last month every minute of the day...AArrrr. just want to know what to exspect next.
thanks for the help mommy to 4

Old 11-26-2008, 06:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Mommyto4. I think it's time to see another doctor.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto4 View Post
i've been suffering from cysts on both ovaries since the spring of this year. my pain has got so intense this past 2 months. i've also got a small fibroid, my dr has just put me on the pill i couldn't wait for the 3 months too see if they would go away. i started the pill 11 days ago and i'm still waiting to feel goOD i still have the pain it seems the pain has gone to the middle of my adbomen now and i feel like i have a dull aching feeling in my vigna feels like cramps and constipation at the same time. moving bowels some what.

i've been urinating alot especially when the pain is there. i'm 42 and i have 4 kids. last month i had a brown discharge for the whole month with the pain. this month i missed my period and still with the pain and i started the pill HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT TILL I NOTICE AN IMPROVEMENT IN THE PAIN?i've been taking Tynole for 3 months, the last 2 months every day, heating pad i sleep with at night this seems to bother me more in the night this month, last month every minute of the day...AArrrr. just want to know what to exspect next.
thanks for the help mommy to 4
I'd go for a 2nd opinion.
Sounds like you may have a urinary tract infection.

When was your last pap? I might have a new pap done as well.

Do you have back problems as well?
I ask because what you're saying you feel like on the inside, I've been that way since my back problems. The only way to describe it is I feel inflamed. My checkup 2 years ago, the Drs thought I was nuts. Eventually in March of this year I had one burst. Ended up in the ER with pelvic pain, the pelvic bone is painful.

From the ER I landed at the GYN where he did a pap, which came back abnormal for cervical something or another, plus he found cysts on both ovaries. Ended up with a double biopsy which hurt like heck.

Ovulating hurts. I wish I'd get into menopause already but haven't even started. I won't do the pill.

Even on high doses of meds for my back, the pain is always there.
I was going to get all my tests redone (ultra sound / vag probe) but the scripts expired (can't believe it's been 5 months)

burst ovarian cyst? - link to what I've been through. See the GYN in 2 weeks.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
I had an ovarian cyst - absolutely no symtoms. It was found during a gyn exam. A month later, since it didn't go away on it's own, I had surgery. It was the size of a grapefruit. (I have to laugh that all doctors mention fruits)

Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
It could be an ovarian cyst, but it could also be a number of other things including irritable bowel, other bowel problems, adhesions (if you've ever had any abdominal surgery), endometriosis, kidney stone, and others.

I had ovarian cysts due to endometriosis, and they caused no particular symptoms until one of them started to bleed into my pelvic cavity periodically, at which time it felt like what acute appendicitis must feel like--very bad, doubled over in pain. But symptoms can be less severe, so do check things out. Good luck.
What were your symptoms of endometriosis? I have pain on my left side, every other month, during my period. The last two times I've had it, I thought I was gonna scream.It was very intense and came in waves almost, and lasted about two days. When my period was over, I was completely fine. It was really odd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness