U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,975,738 times

Advertisements

They take out whatever they see that isn't normal and you never feel it. I got photos of my polyps. I had no instructions about what to eat afterwards - guess every doctor has different ideas. At the follow-up visit he told me the polyps were pre-cancerous and to come back in 4-5 yrs. I did and he found a benign polyp. Told me to come back in 4 yrs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Oh and you should have the first one around your 50th birthday. Unless there are reasons for sooner, like a family history of colon cancer, blood in the stool, etc.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,101,485 times
I was told to have my first one at age 50, and because everything was ok, ten years thereafter.

Those who have a family history of colon cancer are recommended to have their first test at age 40.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:30 PM

10,019 posts, read 10,939,376 times
Because of the history of bowel cancer in my family I have to have one every2 years. They have gorren much better at the procedure over the last while. I;ll tell you this, I would way rather have a colonoscopy anyday than having my teeth drilled.
It really isn't a big deal. Don't sweat it and you will see that I'm right.

Sweating it over something that has to happen never does any good at all anyway.
Best of luck with it.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 8,869,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
They take out whatever they see that isn't normal and you never feel it. I got photos of my polyps. I had no instructions about what to eat afterwards - guess every doctor has different ideas. At the follow-up visit he told me the polyps were pre-cancerous and to come back in 4-5 yrs. I did and he found a benign polyp. Told me to come back in 4 yrs.

Hmm, if I have polyps I wonder if I could get a picture. I think I am going to ask for that. I know someone who got a colonscopy and watched the whole thing. Ugh. I'd throw up if I had to look at my intestines during the procedure. Good thing in your case they were caught as they were pre-cancerous. I am surprised you did not have to go back before 4 to 5 years though after finding pre-cancerous polyps.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
At what age should you do this? I've never had one, never considered having one but seeing all these people have had one...how old would you be getting your first one or is it because of a symptom or referral?

Misty, as for general anesthesia, I'm with you there. When I snapped my ankle in 2004, I was put under, general. It was supposed to be an out patient process but the anesthesia made me so sick, my blood pressure dropped to 88/44 and I had to stay the night. I remember watching a black and white Godzilla movie, falling asleep, being woken up, lots of pain and having to pee really, really bad, getting the bed pan, filling that puppy up and calling for the nurse, waiting, waiting, waiting, would someone PLEASE take this horrid bed pan away from me, GROSS!

Anyway, tell them you get sick from general anesthesia if that is what they are going to do. It's not something to mess with.

I also agree it's a great idea that there be a service for younger people to get to/from the hospital. I know the VA will take care of you, (as they did with my ankle), but what about civilian hospitals? People need that assistance no matter their age.

Maybe someone with the know how, the time and the strength can work on that. I don't even have the first clue how that would be done and changed. Especially right now with so many cuts in budgets, left and right.

Misty, best of luck!
Thanks! Three wolves in snow. I do believe your question was answered regarding when to start, but as a general rule the magic number is 50. Ok, so I've put it off for almost two years. Heck, my brother is 62 and he's never had one. I did ask my Dr. if that is what Farrah Fawcett died of (colon cancer but don't know why they called in rectal cancer - is there a difference?) I guess colon cancer is the 2nd most preventable cancer there is with screening (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So makes sense to do it.

Honestly, what has bothered me more than anything today has just been being hungry. I get grouchy when I'm hungry. I also can't sleep when I'm hungry. Oh well, I have to be up at 4 a.m. to start round #2 of the yummy beverage. Don't know why so darn early, but I'd better comply.

All in all, it wasn't bad, but then I drink a TON of liquids every day so maybe this is why it wasn't that hard to get it down. I used the MoviPrep brand and it was lemon lime flavored so maybe something to keep in mind for future reference. Only 32 ounces of liquid at a time in two doses, which is doable in an hour (the 32 ounces and the doses are 10 hours apart).

Oh, and thanks I will mention I get sick with general, but it usually takes hours before this happens so I should be ok.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 PM

Rectal cancer is different, it is just inside. The colon is the last part of the intestine before the rectum. I was 62 before I got the 1st one and I sure am glad I went. Colon cancer is usually slow-growing so you can wait years to go back so long as they don't find cancer.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,905,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hmm, if I have polyps I wonder if I could get a picture. I think I am going to ask for that. I know someone who got a colonscopy and watched the whole thing. Ugh. I'd throw up if I had to look at my intestines during the procedure. Good thing in your case they were caught as they were pre-cancerous. I am surprised you did not have to go back before 4 to 5 years though after finding pre-cancerous polyps.
I had the pre cancer and a big polyp and back again in one year which is Ok.
Got the pictures etc., and the follow up was Ok but now I am in that
high risk area.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I had the pre cancer and a big polyp and back again in one year which is Ok.
Got the pictures etc., and the follow up was Ok but now I am in that
high risk area.
Good thing you caught it too! I am counting the hours now and don't even know if I can sleep. I have to drink more of that stuff in six hours and 15 minutes. I suppose I can force myself to take a sleeping pill and go to bed and hope it works. I feel pretty cleaned out now so I don't know why I have to drink more of the stuff.

Now I'm thinking about the embarrassment factor. I don't even like male doctors doing well woman exams. Ugh. I know they're used to it and it's just routine for them, but it is not for me. This procedure, without a doubt, must be the most embarrassing one that a person has to go through. I hope I at least get to lie on my side, but I have a feeling that is not how it works.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:13 PM

No, you do lie on your side. The IV will put you out before anyone gets near "the area."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness