U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,179,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I didn't feel a thing and they completely knocked me out with Versed and Propofol. The only pain was that the cab dropped me off at 10 and the Dr. was running late so I had to stick around and wait for a couple hours - no water or food.

Anyway, ladies (and gents), you must get this done! Fortunately, all my test results came back normal and I don't have to go back for another 5 to 10 years (and it's 5 years only if I notice something odd).

The WORST part was the worrying. I was sleeping before it started and it wasn't embarrassing at all! The second WORST part was just being hungry! The prep really wasn't all that bad at all.

Well, I slept 1.5 hours last night so think I'll eat and hit the sack.

Thanks for all your support and if anyone is afraid, don't be!
So glad that all went well. Hopefully others that are putting the procedure off because of fear will read this and take the plunge... your experience mirrored mine. The prep wasn't as bad as expected ant the worst part was worrying beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,099,721 times
Great, I knew it would all go ok!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM

23,990 posts, read 17,901,029 times
Great to hear, Misty! Rest well!!

If people say it's not painful then I will believe them. But to be honest, when I heard Katie Couric, (I think it was), talking about hers, I vowed no way would I ever get one of those. It wasn't out of fear, I don't fear it, it was out of sheer embarrassment.

I know the doc does it all the time but still!!!! I'm way too shy to get over it.

Good news is, I'm not there yet in age so I have time. And maybe by the time I'm 50, I'll be like Kathy Bates in "Fried Green Tomatoes" and I just won't care anymore.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,867,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Great to hear, Misty! Rest well!!

If people say it's not painful then I will believe them. But to be honest, when I heard Katie Couric, (I think it was), talking about hers, I vowed no way would I ever get one of those. It wasn't out of fear, I don't fear it, it was out of sheer embarrassment.

I know the doc does it all the time but still!!!! I'm way too shy to get over it.

Good news is, I'm not there yet in age so I have time. And maybe by the time I'm 50, I'll be like Kathy Bates in "Fried Green Tomatoes" and I just won't care anymore.
LOL, TWIS, maybe God made it a requirement to only have to get them starting at age 50 so one gets to the point where Kathy Bates got in the movie. Honestly, they give you this big old gown (just like SouthernBelle said) and a big blanket and you are out so fast there isn't time to be embarrassed or shy. Just remember - propofol and Versed. I was reading some negative comments on Versed (the amnesia drug) last night and people were complaining about the amnesia but who wants to remember something like that? Anyway, that's my opinion. The combo sure worked for me. And I slept 14.5 hours between getting home and waking up this morning. Of course, I only slept 1.5 hours the night before. And I feel great! You would never even think they'd been digging around in there.

Once again, thanks to all.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:53 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,451,352 times
I am so happy for you Mistygrl I knew it wouldn't hurt and am so happy to hear you no longer have that fear. I'm glad all went well with results too. I really didn't want you to not go through with it because I know Colonoscopy's save lives even when we don't think we need one.

Now you won't worry with your next one 5 years from now YAY that

I'm sorry I didn't get to read your post back to me. It's too late to answer but I will say anyway that I seriously doubt the anesthesia would make you sick...I just know it didn't me and no one else I know who had it done. Oh but I know one woman who said she had hers done in the Dr.'s office. Not sure I believe her and she said she was not fully knocked out and knew everything that was going on but didn't feel it. I really didn't believe that. so that's when I decided to get the Endoscopy done at the same time to make sure I was fully knocked out

Oh btw, I had my first when I was in my 40's but I had a problem that led to my having it done sooner than 50.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM

10,019 posts, read 10,935,807 times
Quote:
I didn't feel a thing and they completely knocked me out with Versed and Propofol. The only pain was that the cab dropped me off at 10 and the Dr. was running late so I had to stick around and wait for a couple hours - no water or food.

Anyway, ladies (and gents), you must get this done! Fortunately, all my test results came back normal and I don't have to go back for another 5 to 10 years (and it's 5 years only if I notice something odd).

The WORST part was the worrying. I was sleeping before it started and it wasn't embarrassing at all! The second WORST part was just being hungry! The prep really wasn't all that bad at all.

Well, I slept 1.5 hours last night so think I'll eat and hit the sack.

Thanks for all your support and if anyone is afraid, don't be!
I told ya it would be a piece of cake. Now you know why I'd rather have one than my teeth drilled?

I'm so pleased your tests came out well.
All that worry for nothing!!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 8,867,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I told ya it would be a piece of cake. Now you know why I'd rather have one than my teeth drilled?

I'm so pleased your tests came out well.
All that worry for nothing!!!!
Yes, you're all right! And thank you all! And you're right, drilling on teeth is much worse.

My only regret is I had not one bit of "fun" from the anesthesia, but at least I didn't get sick as I do under general.

They did follow up today with a phone call to see how I was feeling and I thought that was a nice touch. Not many places are going to do that. I was apprehensive in part as I'd never met this Dr. In fact, he came breezing in, said hello, and that was it. The other medical personnel spent time with me though.

I had an endoscopy once (although not down far) and that sent me reeling, even with valium. I once made an eye Dr. sit with me for an hour to put the drops in my eyes and I kept prespiring and got nauseated. So if I can go through a colonoscopy, ANYONE can go through it.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,570,040 times
Quote:
Yes, you're all right! And thank you all! And you're right, drilling on teeth is much worse.

My only regret is I had not one bit of "fun" from the anesthesia, but at least I didn't get sick as I do under general.

They did follow up today with a phone call to see how I was feeling and I thought that was a nice touch. Not many places are going to do that. I was apprehensive in part as I'd never met this Dr. In fact, he came breezing in, said hello, and that was it. The other medical personnel spent time with me though.

I had an endoscopy once (although not down far) and that sent me reeling, even with valium. I once made an eye Dr. sit with me for an hour to put the drops in my eyes and I kept prespiring and got nauseated. So if I can go through a colonoscopy, ANYONE can go through it.
At my last colonoscopy, I told the nurse anaesthetist that I love the feeling of the propofol, even if for that brief second or two. She said she'd give it to me slowly so I could feel it slightly longer. I don't know if that really worked or not (can't remember!) but I was appreciative .

Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM

48,509 posts, read 86,165,150 times
To answer your question yes my second one I got to watch. Basically the doctor asked my blood pressure when I asked him what the colon was like and he then asked if I wanted to watch. He connected a small hadheld thing to the scope. He then instructed me to hold it close to the eye and look in the small opening. I was amzed at just now smooth the colon was .When I saw some green stuff and I asked is that a problem and he said no that is bowl and good stuff. There really wasn't any pain other than some pressure.That was over 27 years ago and now they put you to sleep. I have had two since with good results. I know many who they found Polylops and they are a pre-cancerous condition and now they have them very 3 years but at least are healthy.The miracles of modern medicine.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,901,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
The places where I've had colonscopies over the years wouldnt allow me to take a cab home.

I hate to admit this but, several times, I drove myself to the site and had a friend show up to pretend to drive me home. The friend would then just drive me to my car, which was in the same parking lot. I dont recommend this but I knew I'd be fully awake and alert enough to drive the short distance home. (If I hadnt been, I'd have had the friend drive me home and then take me back later to get my car.)

Nowadays it's not worth the hassle so I use a service that drives people to and from medical appointments.
where I went the head Dr. himself pays for the taxi home and signs you off. why he saves a life. he also does put you and not a happy day but no as bad as they do say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness