U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,907,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Wow, good for you that you did it. I'm borderline anemic and my Dr. said good thing I'm getting this done (to rule out any bleeding). Question - did they remove the polyps while you were under?
yes a few pre cancer and next year more but tiny and that sleep drug you just go to bed and sleep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM

961 posts, read 581,436 times
I revised this thread I know that many more people have gone for the colonoscopy screening. I am going on Friday and am a nervous wreck. I have read some of the past threads that most are anxious prior and the thought of taking the bowel prep is making me nauseous. I know that you are to have a liquid diet the day before and not have any purple or red coloring . I never had one done can anyone tell me how much liquids you are suppose to drink through out the whole day. I am to start drinking one 6 oz. bottle of prep that night at 5 p.m. then another 6 hrs prior to the appt. in the morning. I love to hear from others , thank you.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 PM

5,669 posts, read 9,150,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post
I revised this thread I know that many more people have gone for the colonoscopy screening. I am going on Friday and am a nervous wreck. I have read some of the past threads that most are anxious prior and the thought of taking the bowel prep is making me nauseous. I know that you are to have a liquid diet the day before and not have any purple or red coloring . I never had one done can anyone tell me how much liquids you are suppose to drink through out the whole day. I am to start drinking one 6 oz. bottle of prep that night at 5 p.m. then another 6 hrs prior to the appt. in the morning. I love to hear from others , thank you.
Different doctors prefer slightly different prep methods. Just follow yours to the letter. There is no specific amount of clear liquids required. Minimum would be whatever your prep calls for. More is better to stay hydrated, and help with clearing everything out. I found lemon-lime Gatorade to be best for me (3 times now). also chicken broth.

Good Luck, it is not as bad as you think

Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,898,169 times
Quote:
I've had three thus far and I was very anxious before the first one, but it wasn't that bad. Try not to worry too much. As the poster above says, follow whatever your prep instructions are to the letter. They do differ according to what type of prep kit you have and they will tell you exactly how much to drink. (It's usually a lot.) Most of them have a container that is marked.

Do get the chicken broth and anything else they tell you is okay to have. I hate to fast because I love to eat, and it is comforting to have something around that even though it is just clear broth, smells and tastes like food. (Don't worry too much about the actual fasting part, because the time goes pretty quickly what with all the drinking of the prep liquid.)

Practical advice: If you do have to drink a lot, try to get one of those huge straws they use for shakes at fast food restaurants. The prep liquid isn't horrible, but it doesn't taste great either, and I found it helpful especially at the end, to get it down as fast as possible. Using a straw means you taste less of it too.

I always had a Popsicle of the approved colors (I got Banana and Root Beer) on hand. Take a bite of the Popsicle and hold it in your mouth for a second to numb your taste buds, drink the liquid through your straw as fast as possible, then take another bite of the Popsicle to kill the taste.

Clean the bathroom and have it looking as nice as possible before you begin your prep, because you are going to be spending quite a bit of time there and it makes it a nicer experience. Have a couple of magazines or some light reading in the bathroom. Have some very gentle bathroom wipes and some type of soothing gel for your bum (I used aloe), and use them every time you go, right from the beginning, to minimize irritation.

Good luck--you're going to be fine!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,982,807 times
The latest prep is almost tasteless, not bad at all. I was running clean as a whistle at the end. I have had 3 and this last was the best. They use propofol and I love it. "Now you're going to sleep" then "wake up, you are done."

Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the input my stomach in the last two days has not been so great I have had this in the past few mts. I get gas, cramping and run to bathroom guess it also nerves thinking about this too. I know I have to cut back on coffee so I am sort of like cleaning out and the moment. lol I am to use the Suprex Bowel Kit the instructions call to mix with water but the office said I can chill and drink straight from bottle with straw and then follow with water . ugh I have also heard from others that the procedure is quick even though I am not crazy about being put out . I have done dental implants and procedures and was always up . As everyone says its a restful sleep.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I've had three thus far and I was very anxious before the first one, but it wasn't that bad. Try not to worry too much. As the poster above says, follow whatever your prep instructions are to the letter. They do differ according to what type of prep kit you have and they will tell you exactly how much to drink. (It's usually a lot.) Most of them have a container that is marked.

Do get the chicken broth and anything else they tell you is okay to have. I hate to fast because I love to eat, and it is comforting to have something around that even though it is just clear broth, smells and tastes like food. (Don't worry too much about the actual fasting part, because the time goes pretty quickly what with all the drinking of the prep liquid.)

Practical advice: If you do have to drink a lot, try to get one of those huge straws they use for shakes at fast food restaurants. The prep liquid isn't horrible, but it doesn't taste great either, and I found it helpful especially at the end, to get it down as fast as possible. Using a straw means you taste less of it too.

I always had a Popsicle of the approved colors (I got Banana and Root Beer) on hand. Take a bite of the Popsicle and hold it in your mouth for a second to numb your taste buds, drink the liquid through your straw as fast as possible, then take another bite of the Popsicle to kill the taste.

Clean the bathroom and have it looking as nice as possible before you begin your prep, because you are going to be spending quite a bit of time there and it makes it a nicer experience. Have a couple of magazines or some light reading in the bathroom. Have some very gentle bathroom wipes and some type of soothing gel for your bum (I used aloe), and use them every time you go, right from the beginning, to minimize irritation.

Good luck--you're going to be fine!

Thanks and I love to eat too ! :-(

Old 06-05-2014, 03:23 AM

7,460 posts, read 6,906,130 times
there's nothing to a colonoscopy. The worst part is drinking the yellow carbonated laxative and it actually didn't even taste that bad compared to something horrid like epsom salts.

They knock you out, you wake up, you leave. Nothing to it. If you have good insurance it's certainly worth getting in the 40's to 50's.

As somebody who is used to water fasting for multiple days, I have no problem fasting for a single day to prepare for any medical test though. It's something that the body is biologically conditioned to adapt to and will get used to the more you fast.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Had it done earlier all I remember them putting in nose oxygen and drug in IV. I was out like a light and woke up in so quickly in recovery slept so peacefully. Just got back from breakfast.. Everyone thank you and you are all right the prep was the worse. Please whomever has not gotten one don't be afraid do it!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:33 AM

12,478 posts, read 15,466,359 times
Quote:
Had it done earlier all I remember them putting in nose oxygen and drug in IV. I was out like a light and woke up in so quickly in recovery slept so peacefully. Just got back from breakfast.. Everyone thank you and you are all right the prep was the worse. Please whomever has not gotten one don't be afraid do it!

hope nothing was found!

It's time for my 2 year check-up since they found 8 polyps, 5 which were precancerous last time.
Versed--ask for it by name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness