U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2011, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Reputation: 31528

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Reps to you, suzy! Thanks so much for this info!
You're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Between Seattle and Portland
1,266 posts, read 2,911,574 times
Reputation: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
There's a history of shingles in my family and I want to get the shingles vaccine, but so far I have been unable to get my insurer to pay for it. Can you imagine any company would rather shell out for shingles TREATMENT, rather than shingles immunization? I'll get it even if I have to pay myself, but I have yet to find a shot for less than $200. Even at Costco.
I was curious as to whether my local County Health Department provided adult vaccinations, and here's the payment schedule they have on their website:

ADULT VACCINATIONS

Adult Flu..............................................$ 23
Hep A................................................. .$ 48
Hep B................................................. .$ 55
HPV (Human Papilloma Virus)..............$155
Menactra (Meningitis)..........................$123
MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella)............$ 75
Pneumonia......................................... .$ 62
TD (Tetanus/Diphtheria).......................$ 43
TDaP (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis).....$ 59
Twinrix (Hep A and B)...........................$ 70
Varicella (Chicken Pox).........................$105
Zostavax (Shingles).............................$179

The $179 for the shingles shot is still really expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it, but try calling your own County Health Department to see how it compares to the prices you've already found.

Thanks for the info you provided, SuzyQ! If you read this follow-up and could advise on the Twinrix vaccine, which I've never heard of, that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Reputation: 31528
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I was curious as to whether my local County Health Department provided adult vaccinations, and here's the payment schedule they have on their website:

ADULT VACCINATIONS

Adult Flu..............................................$ 23
Hep A................................................. .$ 48
Hep B................................................. .$ 55
HPV (Human Papilloma Virus)..............$155
Menactra (Meningitis)..........................$123
MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella)............$ 75
Pneumonia......................................... .$ 62
TD (Tetanus/Diphtheria).......................$ 43
TDaP (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis).....$ 59
Twinrix (Hep A and B)...........................$ 70
Varicella (Chicken Pox).........................$105
Zostavax (Shingles).............................$179

The $179 for the shingles shot is still really expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it, but try calling your own County Health Department to see how it compares to the prices you've already found.

Thanks for the info you provided, SuzyQ! If you read this follow-up and could advise on the Twinrix vaccine, which I've never heard of, that would be great!
Thanks for posting this.

Of course, we seniors do not need a lot of the vaccines on the list. You can scratch off the HPV, MMR, Varicella, and Menactra.

The flu shot, pneumonia, and the TD or TDaP should be on everyone's list. Probably just one TDaP and then every 10 years just the TD. The TDaP is the one that has the whooping cough booster in it. Whether a booster for the pneumonia vaccine is needed depends on how old you are when you take it the first time.

The advantage of the Twinrix is that you get both the hepatitis vaccines in one stick and save a few bucks over the cost of the separate vaccines.

And then, of course, the Zostavax.

With the Zostavax rebate program, many folks might to best to take it in the doctor's office and have it submitted to the insurance. If the doc says we don't carry it in the office, ask them to buy it from one of the local pharmacies that has it. You may have to pay up front to get them to do it. The vaccine is kept frozen, so they will want you to be available to take it when they get it. Get the explanation of benefits back, then submit the claim for the rebate. If the insurance pays, you may get back your copay. If it does not pay anything, the rebate should be higher and cover a significant portion of the cost. Everyone should read the rebate instructions carefully to make sure you understand who is eligible and what documentation you need to claim it.

Yes, Zostavax is expensive. But it cuts the risk of shingles in half, and if you do get shingles anyway, it will be less severe and less risk of having persistent neuralgia. We are talking prevention of some major misery here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Reputation: 31528
Default More help on paying for vaccines

Immunization Coverage for Adult Vaccines | Immunize Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Reputation: 20198
You know, I haven't had a vaccine in around 30 years. And in the last 30 years, I've never had a single doctor recommend that I get one, or even suggest it, or ask if I'm up to date. I don't switch doctors often, and I always make sure my records are transferred to the new one when I need a new one (the last one moved to Hawaii; obviously I needed to find a new provider).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Reputation: 31528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You know, I haven't had a vaccine in around 30 years. And in the last 30 years, I've never had a single doctor recommend that I get one, or even suggest it, or ask if I'm up to date. I don't switch doctors often, and I always make sure my records are transferred to the new one when I need a new one (the last one moved to Hawaii; obviously I needed to find a new provider).
Why not just ask your doc? Do you use an internist or a family practitioner?

My internist does ask about vaccines. I received my TDaP at his office (and the shingles vaccine, though he does not stock it in the office and had to get it from a local pharmacy.)

Ideally, primary care offices will make it easy for adults to get vaccines without it being necessary to have an office visit solely for the vaccine.

One way to do it is with "standing orders."

Vaccines: Recs/Rate-Strategies/Adult Strategies (main page)

By educating your doc, you could help all his patients!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 12:27 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why not just ask your doc? Do you use an internist or a family practitioner?

My internist does ask about vaccines. I received my TDaP at his office (and the shingles vaccine, though he does not stock it in the office and had to get it from a local pharmacy.)

Ideally, primary care offices will make it easy for adults to get vaccines without it being necessary to have an office visit solely for the vaccine.

One way to do it is with "standing orders."

Vaccines: Recs/Rate-Strategies/Adult Strategies (main page)

By educating your doc, you could help all his patients!
My doctor is a group. I never know which one I'll see from one visit to the next. I don't know most of their names, and I wouldn't ever recognize them if I saw them in the supermarket. I go to the doctor yearly to get my blood drawn, so that I can get my two prescriptions renewed - one for Ambien, one for Levothyroxine.

I used to have doctors who gave a damn about their patients, but after having had to switch several times in the past decade, I've given up even bothering to look for one. I'm treated like a number, and so I treat them like prescription dispensaries. If I'm actually infirm/injured, I'll go to whatever specialist specializes in whatever is ailing me. I switched because my first doctor moved to Hawaii. My second doctor died. My third was another group, and I moved out of that town and found a new doctor nearer where I moved. That doctor moved to Hawaii. I'm on this group now.

Fortunately, I rarely get sick and when I do, I usually can identify the problem and treat it myself. The last time I had anything more severe than a cold was around 10 years ago, when I had the last of my seasonal bronchitis attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Reputation: 31528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My doctor is a group. I never know which one I'll see from one visit to the next. I don't know most of their names, and I wouldn't ever recognize them if I saw them in the supermarket. I go to the doctor yearly to get my blood drawn, so that I can get my two prescriptions renewed - one for Ambien, one for Levothyroxine.
Do you see an MD or do you see a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant?

And when you make your appointment, what do you tell the receptionist you need?

If all you tell them is you want blood drawn and meds refilled, you may never get slotted into an appointment for a "wellness" visit.

And with a different practitioner each time, there may be the assumption that you see someone else for the annual evaluation and complete review of your history. That is one of the problems of seeing a large group.

Ideally, you should be able to designate one person as your primary doc.

The vaccine issue is one thing that a computerized medical record should be great for, but I do not know if the current EMRs will send up a flag to update immunizations.

I do know that GA has a computerized system for tracking children's immunizations. Pediatricians do not have to track down old shot records if the child was immunized in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Reputation: 20198
Oh I have a "primary doc." She's a member of that group. I met her once, when I showed up for my first appointment at that group's office. They made me wait three hours for an initial consultation/physical. Three hours past my actual appointment time. She showed up after the first hour, long enough to apologize for being late, and said she'd be right back. Two hours later, I got dressed (I'd been sitting on the exam table wearing a paper gown all this time), went to the reception desk, and told them I'd see whoever was available to give me an initial consultation and physical.

It's been like that ever since. I don't make appointments with my PCP. I make appointments with "whoever has the courtesy to show up in the exam room within a half hour of my appointment time."
Usually it's one of the PAs and they're very polite and helpful. But they also have a high turnover so I can't ever be assured I'll see the same one twice.

As I said - if I'm sick, or injured, I'll see a specialist. This group exists to give me my yearly bloodwork (which happens to be a lab around the back door of their offices), and write my prescriptions. I wouldn't trust them any more than that. They saw a lump in my arm, near my armpit, and told me it was just a cyst and would go away within a month. 11 months later, and it's still there. It hasn't grown, or moved it doesn't cause any discomfort. What bothers me, is that they dismissed it without any kind of recommendation to get it checked more thoroughly than poking at my skin with their finger, or any kind of followup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 01:17 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Reputation: 31528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Oh I have a "primary doc." She's a member of that group. I met her once, when I showed up for my first appointment at that group's office. They made me wait three hours for an initial consultation/physical. Three hours past my actual appointment time. She showed up after the first hour, long enough to apologize for being late, and said she'd be right back. Two hours later, I got dressed (I'd been sitting on the exam table wearing a paper gown all this time), went to the reception desk, and told them I'd see whoever was available to give me an initial consultation and physical.

It's been like that ever since. I don't make appointments with my PCP. I make appointments with "whoever has the courtesy to show up in the exam room within a half hour of my appointment time."
Usually it's one of the PAs and they're very polite and helpful. But they also have a high turnover so I can't ever be assured I'll see the same one twice.

As I said - if I'm sick, or injured, I'll see a specialist. This group exists to give me my yearly bloodwork (which happens to be a lab around the back door of their offices), and write my prescriptions. I wouldn't trust them any more than that. They saw a lump in my arm, near my armpit, and told me it was just a cyst and would go away within a month. 11 months later, and it's still there. It hasn't grown, or moved it doesn't cause any discomfort. What bothers me, is that they dismissed it without any kind of recommendation to get it checked more thoroughly than poking at my skin with their finger, or any kind of followup.
You're right. You need a different doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top