U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,859,834 times
Reputation: 2780

Advertisements

For some reason I am getting a DB error when I try to edit. Just want to clarify it is the FloVent that is the steroid inhaler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 PM
 
5,314 posts, read 11,492,745 times
Reputation: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Don't bother. If you don't know then don't just guess. Alpha 1 is not taught in the USA because there are only 8 known cases of it ever. When my ex was hospitalized for 3 months she went through dozens of doctors that could not figure out what was wrong. Finally a doctor from Sweden figured it out because this disease is common there. This doctor was well aware of it.

In more recent times as she was hospitalized, she was like a clown in a freak show as doctors of all kinds came into visit her at no charge just to talk and ask questions about this disease that they never heard of. Though she was insured, American insurance companies would not cover the drugs because to them there was no such thing as Alpha 1. It took a miracle from a foreign drug company to offer her free meds to be their test dummy. So that keeps her alive....for now.

Don't mess with things you don't know about. Just don't. I probably know more about this disease then the doctors here because I lived through it while they never were taught it in medical school.
Keep dreaming dude.....

Either you have no clue what you are talking about or you have completely misrepresented the condition...

Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency is well known, well understood, certainly "taught" in American medical schools and no where near as rare as you think it is...

Get your facts straight....
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency - Overview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,963 posts, read 17,869,926 times
Reputation: 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
For the last year, I have also been VERY mucus-y. I went to my doctor about 2 weeks ago for a yearly check up and I brought this up. She just says it might be post nasal drip. I don't know.. I sometimes hack up A LOT of mucus. Never any off color, which is good, but it still concerns me.

Well, any help with this would be appreciated. I would love to try something that's cheaper, works great, and MAY not be the cause of my anxiety/depression/mucus
You sound a lot like me when I was your age. It's quite possible that you have something in your house that is making your allergies go crazy and in my case it was my cat--it wasn't obvious that I was allergic to her but I was a lot more mucous-y and had problems with asthma, which I don't anymore. For you it could be pets, mold, plants, you name it, but you should probably try to identify it and remove it if possible. I also now keep a dehumidifier in my basement all the time and that has helped--maybe it keeps the mold down. I don't know much about it, but I suppose that it might be a food that you eat a lot of and maybe doesn't agree with you and that could be contributing to your weight gain as well, but certainly losing weight would help.

Since my cat died I haven't had any more problems with asthma so can't answer your question about inhalers, but I did get "addicted" to alupent once and was having to use it every 10 minutes just to breathe and I went out in the middle of the night once and bought primatene mist b/c doc wouldn't renew for alupent yet and the primatene broke the addiction, just like that. It was a scary situation and goes to show that the inhalers can really mess you up and some here may be having a similar problem. My doc at that time was like yours--he just waved away my concerns but would only renew the alupent every 30 days and it didn't occur to him to wonder why I was having to use the stuff so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 45,470,693 times
Reputation: 10419
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Keep dreaming dude.....

Either you have no clue what you are talking about or you have completely misrepresented the condition...

Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency is well known, well understood, certainly "taught" in American medical schools and no where near as rare as you think it is...

Get your facts straight....
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency - Overview
Keep dreaming dude. Some day some one dumber will actually believe you. No one here does because you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,963 posts, read 17,869,926 times
Reputation: 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Keep dreaming dude. Some day some one dumber will actually believe you. No one here does because you are wrong.
Desertsun, I'm very sorry about the loss of your wife and it appears that the wound is still new. But it's not fair to go beating up on other docs because some weren't able to help your wife. Could we agree to disagree on this one? Chances are that our OP has a chronic allergy to something in the house and not a rare and horrible disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 AM
 
5,314 posts, read 11,492,745 times
Reputation: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Keep dreaming dude. Some day some one dumber will actually believe you. No one here does because you are wrong.
Here are the FACTS:

Feel free to try and refute them with your nonsense:


"AAT deficiency means there is not enough of this protein in the body. It is caused by a genetic defect. The condition is most common among Europeans and North Americans of European"descent."

Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency - PubMed Health

How common is alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?

"Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency occurs worldwide, but its prevalence varies by population. This disorder affects about 1 in 1,500 to 3,500 individuals with European ancestry. It is uncommon in people of Asian descent. Many individuals with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency are likely undiagnosed, particularly those with the common diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)."

Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency - Genetics Home Reference

"Alpha1-antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency, first described in 1963, is one of the most common inherited disorders among white persons."

Medscape: Medscape Access

Is AAT deficiency under recognized? Absolutely...

Is it rare? With an estimated 100,000 cases in the US there is definitely more than 8...

Is the disorder "taught" in US medical schools? Absolutely and it has been for over 40 years...

Trends in the Diagnosis of Symptomatic Patients With


I really don't care whether "you" believe me or not but I won't let the misinformation you are spreading stand unopposed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 06:12 PM
 
500 posts, read 975,293 times
Reputation: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I have been on Advair for a few years, and every so many months I start to question it. I've had asthma since I was 2, and I'm 26 now.

Whenever I read reports about the deaths caused by advair, I really get scared. But then, I think it might be becasue people use advair as a rescue inhaler and it's clearly not meant for DURING an attack.

I've also known my anxiety has gone up in the last year. I've been more tired and depressed. This also helped me gain weight. But I blame to weight gain for poor eating choices and being too tired/lazy to move around.

For the last year, I have also been VERY mucus-y. I went to my doctor about 2 weeks ago for a yearly check up and I brought this up. She just says it might be post nasal drip. I don't know.. I sometimes hack up A LOT of mucus. Never any off color, which is good, but it still concerns me.

I feel that doctors are only in it for the $$$, so I'd like to have some alternatives I'd like to talk with her about.. but what can they be? Has anyone been on advair and now on something else?

...advair is also expensive. Without insurance it's like $250 (which is sickening). Luckily I am insured and only pay $30.

Well, any help with this would be appreciated. I would love to try something that's cheaper, works great, and MAY not be the cause of my anxiety/depression/mucus
THIS MAY OR MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. Upon moving to Colorado seven years ago I was suddenly overwhelmed with respiratory issues, never having had any type of respiratory problem before. When I was first hospitalized with pneumonia twice with a period of several months, my pulmonary doctor said that I had developed asthma, although I didn't agree with his diagnosis. Four years later, still with significant respiratory problems, I was still taking Advair and still not agreeing with the asthma diagnosis. My osteoarthritis was getting worse.

I went to National Jewish, the number one respiratory hospital in the country, located in Denver. I had numerous tests, my doctor spent a LOT of time with me going over my history. After I took a test called the Methacoline (sp) challenge, which is a test where they induce ashthma in you I discovered I didn't and never did have asthma, as I failed the test. It turned out that I had GERD, a stomach related issue, that produced results similar to asthma.

That day I stopped taking Advair and started taking medicine for my GERD it was the first day in many years that I felt better. I just wanted to share my story in hopes that it may help someone with my issues. If you have asthma, you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top