U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,874,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
For someone who is having a bleeding problem, it would be better to see a physician. She may need testing that a PA or NP will not be able to do.

One option would be to call for an appointment, telling the receptionist about the vaginismus, and ask for a consultation without an examination on the first visit. She and the doctor can then decide the best way to proceed with the exam.

There are plenty of gynecologists with good bedside manners. Checking with friends and coworkers is a good place to start.
So far, I'm liking this reply best. I'm taking comfort in the idea that I won't have to get the examination on the first visit. Big sigh of relief there
And unfortunately, I'm a loner and a hermit (except for having a boyfriend) and don't have female friends, relatives or coworkers to ask about this instead of laying it all on you folks, so thanks for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM

44,246 posts, read 54,930,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Bleeding for 21 days? You should probably go to the ER instead of trying to make appointments.

Like, yesterday.
Please don't go to the ER.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,874,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Please don't go to the ER.
I'd only go there if I was insured and if it was spurting out unmanageably.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 AM

25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
So far, I'm liking this reply best. I'm taking comfort in the idea that I won't have to get the examination on the first visit. Big sigh of relief there
And unfortunately, I'm a loner and a hermit (except for having a boyfriend) and don't have female friends, relatives or coworkers to ask about this instead of laying it all on you folks, so thanks for the replies.
Glad I was helpful.

Does your boyfriend have any male friends who could ask their wives/girlfriends for recommendations?

You could also call the maternity unit at a hospital and ask the nurses who they would recommend.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times
hi temazepam. Let me start off and tell you that I have vaginismus too. I went went i was about 21 for my first exam and like you, i had a horrible experience. Sounds like we went to the same doctor. She told me she was going to exam the external parts then shoved the speculum inside me. I screamed and cried and she screamed at me. I had told her a)this was my first exam and b) it hurts when i have any kind of penetration. She told me i was acting like a 2 year old. Thankfully she did complete the exam. With me crying the whole time. She told me i had vaginismus (never explained to me what it was...i had to research it myself) ....and she told me i have a retroverted uterus. which is a tipped uterus. and didn't tell me anything about that. Ok so to the next part. I've been spotting before my period since last october. ...im terrified to go back but i went to my fam doc and she said i'm prob just bleeding b/c its when im ovulating. she ran blood tests and said everythings fine. Now, i've had bleeding for a month so im trying to prep myself to go. I feel the same as you about wishing they could knock me out. One thing i will tell u that does help (im starting tomorrow)....is dilators. you can find it on vaginismus. c om they also have a forum ..it helps a lot and feel free to contact me. I'm curious to see if u went to the doctor and what they said. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM

15,712 posts, read 14,191,743 times
I just find it disturbing that when a woman finds a medical procedure painful, she is expected to "suck it up", especially when there are easy, safe, methods of pain control available. I seriously doubt a man would be treated that way.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I just find it disturbing that when a woman finds a medical procedure painful, she is expected to "suck it up", especially when there are easy, safe, methods of pain control available. I seriously doubt a man would be treated that way.

Yea, we shouldn't have to suck it up. Especially with something like vaginismus.I woke up with a very heavy period today (its been a month of bleeding now..) and I called a doctors office today to make a "consultation appt" ...i was lucky enough to have the phone handed to the doctor that my friend referred me to. She was so nice....she listened, she explained to me what she thought it might be, told me how she would help (she is ordering a pediatric spec and I will be taking valium *sp*).... I have an appt on the 9th of FEB. She said we can sit down and talk and if we CAN do the appt we will. I'll keep ya posted! *hopefully the valium works!!!!*

Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM

13,970 posts, read 13,483,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingforhelp View Post
Yea, we shouldn't have to suck it up. Especially with something like vaginismus.I woke up with a very heavy period today (its been a month of bleeding now..) and I called a doctors office today to make a "consultation appt" ...i was lucky enough to have the phone handed to the doctor that my friend referred me to. She was so nice....she listened, she explained to me what she thought it might be, told me how she would help (she is ordering a pediatric spec and I will be taking valium *sp*).... I have an appt on the 9th of FEB. She said we can sit down and talk and if we CAN do the appt we will. I'll keep ya posted! *hopefully the valium works!!!!*
I hope your appointment went well! I have vaginismus also and have never had a pelvic exam with a speculum, but my period is starting to get heavier so I may need to get one to check things out. I had a consultation a few years ago with a nice gynecologist and she prescribed me a few sedatives to try out at home, but they didn't seem to have any effect on me, so I don't think they would've relaxed me enough to be examined. I've freaked out at examination attempts in the past so I'm 100% sure that I can't do it without being sufficiently sedated. I wish more people were knowledgeable about vaginismus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness