Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

No to alcohol and have you ever tried Kava Kava? I've used that before in public speaking situations and it worked (and we all know public speaking is like #1 fear).

I bled for probably two months and finally had a D&C. I didn't worry about it though. I was young and maybe that was why.

At any rate, the more you stress out the more tense you are going to be and the more it's going to hurt.

Or, go ahead and take a sleeping pill. That will help too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 06:59 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have a gag reflex when things go in my mouth...so that is part of my problem with dentists. And once I went to a dentist, in severe pain...and he TAPPED with a metal instrument on the tooth that hurt..I practically had to be peeled off the ceiling...and I hate those witchy, Mamas..."you know you need to brush, and floss" like, yeah...I know, and I don't need to be treated like a bad kid. I am PAYING you to clean my teeth, so shut the f up. Not paying for a lecture on the fact that I am "bad"...

I think my issues with dentists started when I had braces, severe pain for years. Constant ache. I think some people react to pain diffferently, and my mouth must be filled with nerve endings or wired different than other folks. Does not help much that I had someone "help" me lose a few front teeth. So, I have a bridge across four of my front teeth, and the rest of my teeth are not in too great of shape either...I don't even think about eating ribs, chicken, corn on the cob, apples, biting into anything is severe pain for me, so I don't eat sandwiches, hotdogs, anything that I have to bite. All food has to be cut in small pieces. I definitely don't chew gum, or eat any candy. And forget about hot drinks or cold drinks. Only lukewarm drinks. It is my "cross" to bear...at least it helps with the diet.
Yikes! If I got teeth knocked out like that, I'd hate going to the dentist too. You have my sympathy.

Also, I hope that when I likened my exam experience to rape, that I wasn't sounding like I was trivializing what rape victims go through. I didn't mean to, but the humiliation was the same nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
temazepam have you seen this link: http://www.vaginismus-awareness-network.org/ I wonder if you could find help there?

When I worked at Whole Foods this guy would chew valerian root. It looked like a twig. He said it calmed him down quite a bit and also helped him with back problems because he claimed it relaxed his whole body. I'm no doctor or anything like that, so talk to your doctor or a naturopath or homeopath before you try it, but I always thought that was interesting. Is valerian root where they get valium from? I dunno?
Thanks for the link! I like it, so I bookmarked it too. I wish the www was around when I was young so I would've been more informed. I didn't used to even know what it was called, so I didn't know what my hangup was.

Chewing on valerian root sounds interesting. I live very close to a well-stocked health food store so it'll be easy to get. I've only tried valerian root tea for insomnia, but it didn't work. Maybe it was calming, but it didn't bring Mr. Sandman. But chewing on the root itself sounds like it might be a higher concentration and good for taking off the edge during my waking hours without putting me to sleep or having to get drunk. And no Rx required.

Quote:
Vaginismus, sometimes anglicized vaginism is the German name for a condition which affects a woman's ability to engage in any form of vaginal penetration, including sexual intercourse, insertion of tampons, and the penetration involved in gynecological examinations. This is the result of a reflex of the pubococcygeus muscle, which is sometimes referred to as the "PC muscle". The reflex causes the muscles in the vagina to tense suddenly, which makes any kind of vaginal penetration—including sexual intercourse—painful or impossible.
Yep, It took me so long to be able to insert a tampon, like 6 years after my menses began. I use them occasionally, but still tense up, always thinking I'm going to hurt myself, even though I have years of experience, so I'm usually just too lazy to bother and use pads instead. It's quicker that way. I'm not even going to bother trying the menstrual cup. I was given a female condom once at an AIDS seminar, but was too lazy to bother with it since it had to be inserted first.
Intercourse was impossible for a while, but that's ok since I was too young at the time. But after finally losing my virginity, it was still tough for the first several times and I always got complaints about it feeling like 'hitting a wall'. Discovering K-Y really helped and I use some for my tampons. I no longer have the hangup about intercourse, but still fear foreign objects, just not penises. Definitely foreign objects in pelvic exams. *cringe*
Until I read about Kegels, I didn't even know there was a muscle in the area. And not like I deliberately tense it, but that dr. and nurse seemed to think so and I resent that nurse blaming me for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
No to alcohol and have you ever tried Kava Kava? I've used that before in public speaking situations and it worked (and we all know public speaking is like #1 fear).

I bled for probably two months and finally had a D&C. I didn't worry about it though. I was young and maybe that was why.

At any rate, the more you stress out the more tense you are going to be and the more it's going to hurt.

You may be right about the alcohol. It loosens inhibitions, but I tend to be more 'on my guard' when drunk, oddly enough, so it might not work.
Kava kava relaxes me a bit but for a short time during my waking hours. It doesn't help me much with sleep and gives me bad dreams. I like it for social anxiety, but kinda doubt it'll be potent enough to get through the pelvic.

You had the prolonged bleeding while young, but I'm the opposite - I think it might be related to menopause. Things were so regular until this year. I hope that's all it ends up being and not anything malignant, but I have to get it checked out because it's scaring me. I have a lot going on this coming week, but will at least get a referral the week after.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Also, I hope that when I likened my exam experience to rape, that I wasn't sounding like I was trivializing what rape victims go through. I didn't mean to, but the humiliation was the same nonetheless.
I don't feel like you were trivializing it at all.

Quote:
Until I read about Kegels, I didn't even know there was a muscle in the area. And not like I deliberately tense it, but that dr. and nurse seemed to think so and I resent that nurse blaming me for it.
What kind of gynecologist doesn't know that vaginismus is involuntary?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
It sounds more to me like the OP is looking for someone to prescribe mind-altering drugs to feed a craving for drugs, than she is looking to solve a medical problem concerning her reproductive organs.

A pelvic exam takes around 5 minutes, total. The pain involved in the pap smear itself lasts around 8 seconds, total. A single dose of valium has to be administered around 20 minutes before an exam, and will keep the patient "dosed" for several HOURS after the exam.

Why in the world would any RESPONSIBLE physician want to dose up someone to that extent, for a common, normal procedure that only lasts 5 minutes and doesn't involve the kind of pain that normally requires any medication at all?

They don't normally give prescriptions for this 1) because it isn't medically necessary and 2) because this is one of many methods that drug addicts use to get prescriptions.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
First of all, moderators: How come there isn't a thread dedicated to women's health? We have complex systems and more stuff that can go wrong with our bodies.

Second, to anyone who can help, especially if you work in the healthcare field:

How come dentists sedate patients if they want it, but I don't have a prayer of finding a doc who will hook me up with that for a pelvic exam?? Come on, I've been through all kinds of dental procedures and never had any fear whatsoever. All I've ever needed was Novocaine for the more in-depth stuff, but never any type of sedation. But for a pelvic exam! I have vaginismus, and will require a sedative. Nobody wants to hook me up! Why?! That procedure is 100% more invasive than anything dental. I'm having some menstrual worries and will need the pelvic exam to diagnose it.

Also, IF you need a pelvic exam, is it true that it has to be done when you're not on your period? Because my problem is that my period will not end (it's been 21 days already ...I wonder if I'll just bleed to death). So if it won't end, then I won't get diagnosed, right, if nobody will do the pelvic exam on me while it continues to bleed on and on and on?

I agree on the forum. I also think there needs to be an infertility forum (which I have suggested but nothing happened) because its pretty uncomfortable for someone who can not have children to discuss issues with others than can in the parenting forum.

I had a similar issue a few years ago. Make an appointment the doctor will see you and do a general examination (less the pap smear portion) and most likely put you on birth control pills, or a different dose of bc pill. When I had this issue I had to take bc for two months before I stopped.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It sounds more to me like the OP is looking for someone to prescribe mind-altering drugs to feed a craving for drugs, than she is looking to solve a medical problem concerning her reproductive organs.

A pelvic exam takes around 5 minutes, total. The pain involved in the pap smear itself lasts around 8 seconds, total. A single dose of valium has to be administered around 20 minutes before an exam, and will keep the patient "dosed" for several HOURS after the exam.

Why in the world would any RESPONSIBLE physician want to dose up someone to that extent, for a common, normal procedure that only lasts 5 minutes and doesn't involve the kind of pain that normally requires any medication at all?

They don't normally give prescriptions for this 1) because it isn't medically necessary and 2) because this is one of many methods that drug addicts use to get prescriptions.
I've had eye surgery and was given a Valium without requesting it, even though the procedure was quick. I fell asleep in the waiting room, got called in, went through the operation relatively calm, able to hold still, fell asleep on the ride home and slept a long time in bed. It was given for the fear, not for the length of the procedure.
Besides, it's not like I'm expecting a whole supply of the stuff - just ONE to get me through the invasive humiliating ordeal.

Last edited by temazepam; 08-22-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post

What is the D&C? Also, did you get a pelvic exam? If so, was it before the bleeding finally stopped, or was it done during?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have found women PA's to be much better at doing pelvic exams than men. Call, and talk to the PA when you make the appointment, tell her your issue, she will probably have you come in for a consultation, and give you the script for the meds then, then come back the next time for the exam. The consultation would be good for you to, to discuss your health problems, and stress levels with a pelvic exam. And you can evaluate if this is the right person for you. If you don't feel like it, you can cancel the pelvic exam.
I second this, a PA or even a Nurse Practitioner are both the best as far as bedside manners go. They usually take time to listen and to talk to you as well as are more gentle, again this is usually. I'd call and make an appt with either and tell them what's going on with you.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I second this, a PA or even a Nurse Practitioner are both the best as far as bedside manners go. They usually take time to listen and to talk to you as well as are more gentle, again this is usually. I'd call and make an appt with either and tell them what's going on with you.
For someone who is having a bleeding problem, it would be better to see a physician. She may need testing that a PA or NP will not be able to do.

One option would be to call for an appointment, telling the receptionist about the vaginismus, and ask for a consultation without an examination on the first visit. She and the doctor can then decide the best way to proceed with the exam.

There are plenty of gynecologists with good bedside manners. Checking with friends and coworkers is a good place to start.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Bleeding for 21 days? You should probably go to the ER instead of trying to make appointments.

Like, yesterday.
You won't bleed to death in 21 days, nor does this symptom require an ER visit (unless you are or could be pregnant at the time). It's actually not an uncommon issue, and happened to me back when I was in college... a simple doctor's visit and 10-day prescription took care of things. So go to the doctor already, OP, or it will never get better! Do you have any female friends or relatives to ask for a referral? That's how I found my dentist, and I'm a total dental-phobe - but he's terrific and I have no fear going to see him.

Of course I'm talking about normal menstrual bleeding, not gushing blood from other parts of your body... in those cases, yes an ER visit would be recommended after 21 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness