U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM

4,288 posts, read 13,610,143 times

Advertisements

I've been sick for a long time and had to finally apply for disability. My hearing was this past Wed. and the judge said something like "favorable something" but I didn't understand what he said. I thought he said "favorable sedentary" in the same sentence but not sure, I happen to be very sick that day and on heavy meds so I didn't hear everything or understand everything. When we left the room the lawyer said congratulations and then started speaking with another client. I asked my husband who drove me there and he didn't have a clue. So I got home thinking it sounded good but maybe he meant I could do sedentary work? Which I cannot or I wouldn't be trying to get disability!

I called my lawyer the next day and she didn't even know exactly what he said (she sucks basically) but said she thinks I got it. She said I'll know in 4 to 5 wks when I get a letter and don't worry about it until then. Ha! Don't worry...that's all I do is worry. We are over $30,000 in debt because of me being sick and she says not to worry. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else went through this process and if the judge said something at the end similiar and what it meant. I wish I could get a transcript.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 PM

5,546 posts, read 8,862,485 times
I know someone who went for a psych eval (and was denied). Why don't you just call SSDI and ask?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,852,528 times
It's pretty common to be initially rejected and have to re-submit for a second hearing. There are cynics around the internet and in the health care circuit who claim that Social Security automatically rejects everyone the first time around and doesn't even take applicants seriously unless they hear from them a second time.

I don't know if it's true or not, or if it's even based in truth. But I wouldn't be surprised, if it were.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:22 AM

3,930 posts, read 4,425,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I've been sick for a long time and had to finally apply for disability. My hearing was this past Wed. and the judge said something like "favorable something" but I didn't understand what he said. I thought he said "favorable sedentary" in the same sentence but not sure, I happen to be very sick that day and on heavy meds so I didn't hear everything or understand everything. When we left the room the lawyer said congratulations and then started speaking with another client. I asked my husband who drove me there and he didn't have a clue. So I got home thinking it sounded good but maybe he meant I could do sedentary work? Which I cannot or I wouldn't be trying to get disability!

I called my lawyer the next day and she didn't even know exactly what he said (she sucks basically) but said she thinks I got it. She said I'll know in 4 to 5 wks when I get a letter and don't worry about it until then. Ha! Don't worry...that's all I do is worry. We are over $30,000 in debt because of me being sick and she says not to worry. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else went through this process and if the judge said something at the end similar and what it meant. I wish I could get a transcript.
The general rule is that ALJs (admin. law judges) are not supposed to announce the decision at the hearing. Nevertheless, there are two types of decisions. Favorable and Unfavorable. Favorable = Claimant wins, Unfavorable = Claimant loses. Was there a Vocational Expert at your hearing? If not, the decision may have been made based on your physical/mental limitations, age, and work history (skilled, semi-skilled, unskilled). BTW, you can request a copy of the hearing recording - but it would probably take longer to get the CD than the actual decision. Also, I'd bet the ALJ's comment was made after the hearing ended and would not be included in the recording.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
The general rule is that ALJs (admin. law judges) are not supposed to announce the decision at the hearing. Nevertheless, there are two types of decisions. Favorable and Unfavorable. Favorable = Claimant wins, Unfavorable = Claimant loses. Was there a Vocational Expert at your hearing? If not, the decision may have been made based on your physical/mental limitations, age, and work history (skilled, semi-skilled, unskilled). BTW, you can request a copy of the hearing recording - but it would probably take longer to get the CD than the actual decision. Also, I'd bet the ALJ's comment was made after the hearing ended and would not be included in the recording.
He said favorable but in a sentence that I can't remember or understood.

Yes, there was a vocational expert and the judge made a comment at the beggining that the decision was his to make and he may or may not take the VE opinion into consideration. Yes, there was a report from my therapist and my Dr's so it was based on physical and mental limitations. Thanks, I didn't know I can request a recording. He made the statement before it ended because right after, he asked my lawyer if she had any comments or questions...she replied no and then he told the woman recording that it was over and stop recording.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's pretty common to be initially rejected and have to re-submit for a second hearing. There are cynics around the internet and in the health care circuit who claim that Social Security automatically rejects everyone the first time around and doesn't even take applicants seriously unless they hear from them a second time.

I don't know if it's true or not, or if it's even based in truth. But I wouldn't be surprised, if it were.
I was rejected twice but thats when you get the hearing on the third try.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I know someone who went for a psych eval (and was denied). Why don't you just call SSDI and ask?
I didn't know I can call but thanks, I'll try.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 PM

So I received a letter that said favorable decision. Several pages into the letter it says something about being insured until 2013? Any clue what that means?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,646 times
I went through the hearing process and the dicision has been mailed out.. What do I expect next and what happens next. does anyone know..please help..

Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 AM

10,547 posts, read 11,729,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
So I received a letter that said favorable decision. Several pages into the letter it says something about being insured until 2013? Any clue what that means?
Great news! I can infer that what the ALJ said at the end of the hearing had something to do with granting a favorable decision because you have the residual functional capacity (RFC) for only sedentary work, and that given your age, education, and work experience there are not significant numbers of jobs in the national economy that you can do.

The fact that the decision says that you have fully insured status through 2013 means that you qualify for Social Security Disability, which is based on your earnings record, and not just SSI. Your monthly payment and the size of your retroactive award will be based on a number of factors, and I think you're going to have to wait for that.

You really should be getting this information from your attorney. Don't feel bad about asking--that's why she's getting a cut of your retro check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness