Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,586,412 times

Advertisements

And I am having BAD cravings for certain foods and beverages. What would be safe to eat at this point? For the 1st two days I ate only clear broth and water/juice/jello...after that I graduated to soup with solid ingredients (chicken and rice/chicken noodle/ramen) and I even managed a plain tiny mcd's hamburger (with nothing on it, just bread and meat). Oatmeal was all I had for breakfast and now I've added chocolate granola cereal. For the last 2 days I've tried to reintroduce milk. It made me naseaus at first, but now I've gotten past that and I can drink a small amount of milk. Today I made myself a bean quesadilla with a little bitty bit of cheese on it and I also had some pita chips and refried beans to dip them in.

I'm really craving mexican food/margaritas and pizza/beer and I'm REALLY worried about eating something like that and having it tear up my stomach. Should I hold out for a few more weeks? I drank some lemonade and it was a good substitute for the margarita craving, but the quesadilla didn't do much for the taco craving and I'm not sure how to come up with an alternative to the pizza and beer craving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,587,238 times
Follow whatever diet your doctor gave you!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:18 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
SouthernBelle is right. But I'll tell you that I ate normally on the third day and never had a problem. Of course, if you eat fatty foods after gall bladder removal, your colon may expect to have a close personal relationship with the bathroom shortly thereafter.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 AM

30,238 posts, read 15,995,196 times
yup-what texasfirewheel said.

cheese is greasy. beer would probably be okay, but pizza is probably on the run-to-the-toidy list.
I'd just try a little and see what happens. It's been almost 8 yrs for me and I still can't eat peanut butter. And I used to love peanut butter. Other than that I can eat pretty much anything, although some things not as much as I'd like.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Yeah, the quesadilla wasn't the best idea I haven't had any issues so far with the bathroom thank goodness, but I know it's bound to happen. I wondered why the things I've read said no beans and I found out that they just made me feel bloated. One of my friends said that seeded foods are no no's, like tomatoes and cucumbers. Why is that? It's making me scared to eventually try popcorn or granola bars too. Is it because the seeds would be hard to digest?

Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
I never heard anything about seeded foods. I live on tomatoes and cucumbers and other seeded foods and have never had any problem with them. The only restriction for seeds, of which I'm aware, is those people who are prone to diverticulitis.

And, to be honest, I dont really mind getting the trots after eating Mexican food and other fatty foods -- and especially jalapenos, for some reason. It helps keep me regular.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM

LOL! I love your attitude I know that some people have IBS so I wondered if that had anything to do with it. Kind of a "cover all your bases" thing. I've not had any IBS or diverticulitits issues so I guess in a few more weeks I'll try and amp it up. My husband made chorizo and egg tacos for breakfast. I'm not brave enough to try that yet so just stuck with my oatmeal. And yes, I miss jalapenos and hot sauce! It was NOT fair this morning! I amped up my flavor issues today and also had mini cheddar rice cakes with my soup at lunch. They've never tasted so good!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 23 hours ago)

1,963 posts, read 3,295,452 times
My surgeon called me the NIGHT after my surgery, and told me "EAT!"

I was nervous about eating ANYthing, and he had given me no restrictions. I always say go by what your doctor says, and then do what you are comfortable with - be home and near a toilet lol...

You should find our thread on here about our after-gallbladder-removal issues. I still have terrible intestinal issues and it's been YEARS!

Good luck, and enjoy

(I will edit and add that when i asked my surgeon pre-surgery about what types of problems i'd have with foods afterward, he said "oh i've never heard of any, and i've removed 100's of gallbladders... I truly believe he lied to me, had to have!)

Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 PM

560 posts, read 844,875 times
My husband had surgery October last year. Doctor said eat what you want (after the first few days of broth, soup and cream of wheat). But to be aware of his bodies reaction and note what affected him adversely and watch eating those again. He's had no issues so far!

Funny part of the whole situation -well, funny now almost a year later... I'd gotten him a Turkey fryer for his birthday and we tried it out with a whole chicken some time later. That night he had his first attack which scared the blazes out of us. My big strong guy curled up on the floor with his lips turning blue. I'm on the phone with 911 and giving him aspirin at their instruction in case it's a heart attack. After all the testing we asked the doctor if deep frying the chicken brought the attack on, but he said no. It was building to this and just happened. However that fryer is still sitting in the shop along with the unopened containers of peanut oil. Too afraid too use it again!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,130,659 times
I ate bland for a day or 2. Third day I tried to eat a little chicken breast, but I got sick. However, I'd like to point out that I think it was the meds making me sick more so than the surgery. Surgery was Wednesday and I wanna say by Saturday or Sunday I was eating nomrally.

But that's me. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness