Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:52 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times

Advertisements

I have no choice but to go to work. All I can do is hope for the best. I have horribly heavy heavy bleeding and was basically told 'oh well, you're just a person who gets heavy periods'. No birth control pill has ever helped so I've just had to learn to deal with it.

I get 4 days of super heavy and3 somewhat "milder" ones. All I can do is hope that the heavy days fall over the weekend so I at least have 2 days where I don't HAVE to go anywhere and can just stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I have no choice but to go to work. All I can do is hope for the best. I have horribly heavy heavy bleeding and was basically told 'oh well, you're just a person who gets heavy periods'. No birth control pill has ever helped so I've just had to learn to deal with it.

I get 4 days of super heavy and3 somewhat "milder" ones. All I can do is hope that the heavy days fall over the weekend so I at least have 2 days where I don't HAVE to go anywhere and can just stay home.

I was just like that. Then, during a PAP...dr said I had some polyps. Sent me to GYN and I had them taken out and she also did an ablation (sp) and now my periods are soooo light and cramp free. Best thing I ever had done!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
I have endometriosis and get heavy periods ... I had surgery a few years ago, however, the pain is still there for the first 2 days so I take prescription "Anaprox" for the first 2 days and then it's better ... it's like Alieve, only stronger !

Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Several years ago I pulled a muscle in my back and discovered that muscle relaxers work really well on menstrual cramps. One skelaxin for the first worst day, followed up with naproxen for the next few days.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
Depo Provera - no more periods, no more cramps that are so bad, I couldn't straighten up, all I need is a shot every 3 months and I'm good.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:00 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post

How old are you?

What are your plans for pregnancy?

If birth control pills do not help, have you had any testing to determine the cause of the heavy bleeding?

If you are past consideration of getting pregnant, there are procedures which can decrease and sometimes completely stop your periods. If you want to keep your fertility, then you really should be evaluated if the flow is so heavy you have to stay home.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Never wear white pants, or a skirt. Wear jeans if possible, for the first couple of days. Get on BC pills, it makes the period lighter. I had to use pads, tampons...ugh.,,mess....

Hee hee...I got "nuked" about a year ago, had my uterus frozen and dried up...I barely have a period now. Was not going to use that thing again anyway, so why bother with having a "baby hatch" when I was done with that baby hatching stuff...BEST thing I have EVER done....it is called an "abalasion".

Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Never wear white pants, or a skirt. Wear jeans if possible, for the first couple of days. Get on BC pills, it makes the period lighter. I had to use pads, tampons...ugh.,,mess....

Hee hee...I got "nuked" about a year ago, had my uterus frozen and dried up...I barely have a period now. Was not going to use that thing again anyway, so why bother with having a "baby hatch" when I was done with that baby hatching stuff...BEST thing I have EVER done....it is called an "abalasion".
Oh God...heed that advice. No white! I remember this poor girl in high school....God, this poor girl. We were at an assembly, gym full of all of the students. It was that time of the month for her, she was wearing white pants...it STARTED while we were in the assembly and every single person in that high school saw. Do. not. wear. light. colored. clothing!

Also, I used to get really bad cramps when I was younger, just starting out, so bad that I was doubled over in Algebra class, ready to pass out. At one point in my life I took birth control pills and that completely changed how things went. It is no longer heavy and only lasts three days.

I rarely have pain now, either but on the rare occasions that I do, Ibuprofen, 800 mg does the trick. I love the makers of Ibuprofen.

If yours are so bad, then yes, anything warm pressed on your stomach area, a heating pad or hot water bottle thing...can do wonders. Relax, take some pain pills, Ibuprofen or Aleve or whatever, close the blinds, turn on a fan or a/c if it's warm, turn off the lights, turn off the t.v. turn off the music and just lie there on your bed, with the heating pad, relax, let the pain pills do their work and sleep.

And Anon Chick...I feel bad for you. That sounds horrible to have to go through every month even if it is for 20 minutes. Ugh!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Pedicures help, and margarita's. Tub of your favorite ice cream and a good movie.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How old are you?

What are your plans for pregnancy?

If birth control pills do not help, have you had any testing to determine the cause of the heavy bleeding?

If you are past consideration of getting pregnant, there are procedures which can decrease and sometimes completely stop your periods. If you want to keep your fertility, then you really should be evaluated if the flow is so heavy you have to stay home.

Yeah, I have a lot of frustration regarding all of what you mentioned. LOL

I am 35, but cannot have kids. Only through IVF will I ever be able to, but with insurance that won't cover it, it's out of the question. However, because of my age my doctor won't do an ablation "just in case" I decide to have kids (um, unless she plans on funding it, not gonna happen, LOL).

I had something done last year where they found and removed polyps and said it *MIGHT* help lessen the periods. It didn't, which is when my doctor stated that I was just someone with a very thick lining who would just have heavy periods.

Since all that, I had been to a fertility doctor when infertility/IVF only was figured out. I ahve my eyarly soon with my GYN, which I once again for a more permanent solution

I do have fears - I have a friend with periods just like mine, who had an ablation that didn't take. So she still suffers also, and just as bad as before the ablation. I fear I will be that person too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness