U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM

25,138 posts, read 30,041,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Yeah, I have a lot of frustration regarding all of what you mentioned. LOL

I am 35, but cannot have kids. Only through IVF will I ever be able to, but with insurance that won't cover it, it's out of the question. However, because of my age my doctor won't do an ablation "just in case" I decide to have kids (um, unless she plans on funding it, not gonna happen, LOL).

I had something done last year where they found and removed polyps and said it *MIGHT* help lessen the periods. It didn't, which is when my doctor stated that I was just someone with a very thick lining who would just have heavy periods.

Since all that, I had been to a fertility doctor when infertility/IVF only was figured out. I ahve my eyarly soon with my GYN, which I once again for a more permanent solution

I do have fears - I have a friend with periods just like mine, who had an ablation that didn't take. So she still suffers also, and just as bad as before the ablation. I fear I will be that person too.
Have you considered a second opinion from another gynecologist?

There are other medications besides birth control pills that can help if the problem appears to be heavy bleeding in ovulatory cycles. A progestin alone, without estrogen, tends to thin the uterine lining. The Mirena IUD is also an option. It, too, tends to result in a thinner uterine lining.

The success rate with endometrial ablation is quite high, but some procedures do require an experienced operator.

Were the polyps removed under direct vision with the hysteroscope or were they just scraped out with a dilatation and curretage (D & C)? If they were not all removed, that might be a reason for the continued heavy bleeding.

Ultimately, your fertility and what to do with it is your decision, not the doctor's.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 08-24-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Correct typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM

11,734 posts, read 14,093,662 times
I use tampons

Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,447,453 times
I haven't bought tampons or pads in YEARS. I use the diva cup and glad rags.

Home - The DivaCup, an innovative menstrual cup the best alternative to Tampons and Pads

GladRags.com

(Sorry, before when I posted about margaritas and ice cream I thought we were talking about how we deal with the uncomfortableness of our periods... soreness, acheyness, cramps, grumpy moods, etc. )

Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,501,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Have you considered a second opinion from another gynecologist?

There are other medications besides birth control pills that can help if the problem appears to be heavy bleeding in ovulatory cycles. A progestin alone, without estrogen, tends to thin the uterine lining. The Mirena IUD is also an option. It, too, tends to result in a thinner uterine lining.

The success rate with endometrial ablation is quite high, but some procedures do require an experienced operator.

Were the polyps removed under direct vision with the hysteroscope or were they just scraped out with a dilatation and curretage (D & C)? If they were not all removed, that might be a reason for the continued heavy bleeding.

Ultimately, your fertility and what to do with it is your decision, not the doctor's.

This is my second GYN. She is the one who found the problems my first GYN ignored/put off when I brought things up. I know one "issue" (??) is that this new GYN is trying to fix everything. Years of health issues ignored, and of course it can't all be fixed overnight. Know what I'm saying? I could kick myself for staying with that first GYN for so long, but what did I know? I trusted him.

As far as the polyps. I can't remember offhand. The doctor did a hysteroscope, but I'm not sure of the procedure used to remove them. I was put under for the procedure, as I required surgery also (neglect from other doctor found that one ovary was enlarged 2x it's size due to 2 large cysts in it; there was also damage to the tube, so I had to have the tube and ovary removed at that time also).

Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 AM

11,734 posts, read 14,093,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

Home - The DivaCup, an innovative menstrual cup the best alternative to Tampons and Pads

(Sorry, before when I posted about margaritas and ice cream I thought we were talking about how we deal with the uncomfortableness of our periods... soreness, acheyness, cramps, grumpy moods, etc. )
I've heard of that, but the image it puts in my head seems very messy!

I applaud that margarita & ice cream suggestion!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,345,263 times
Quote:

GladRags.com

HHElf you are so crazy! LOL In a good way. I have always been a little afraid to go 100 percent natural with my monthly visitor! One of the reasons I bought a house in the country is so I could compost EVERYTHING. I feel terrible thinking of those pads and tampons sitting in landfills destroying Mother Earth.

I use natural biodegradable pads and tampons...but I think I need to dig a pit to put them in...or I'll get eaten by bears or something Kidding! In my area we don't have bears...but maybe I'd attract rabid racoons or something. Also, I am a working girl, and I was afraid I'd have accidents with the cups...

BTW OP sorry, I only got cramps when I used an IUD. I'm normally cramp free KNOCK ON WOOD. I do eat expensive "organic" steak and take blackstrap molasses and eat a lot of spinach to keep my iron up, though. I eat meat a couple of times a month...and that's pretty much my excuse: blood loss

Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 AM

18,847 posts, read 32,738,663 times
Been eating beets the last few days...thought it was "my time"...nope...just eating too many beets!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,555,447 times
I can honestly say that it has been a nightmare. I have always had severe cramps since I first started getting mine. Nothing ever works for me not painkillers or nothing.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM

33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I feel terrible thinking of those pads and tampons sitting in landfills destroying Mother Earth.
Most tampons are made out of cotton and/or rayon, which are natural and biodegradable materials. No need to feel terrible.

Unless you flush them down the toilet. Then you should feel terrible, especially for the guys who work at the wastewater treatment plant!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:09 PM

11,617 posts, read 15,247,961 times
Quote:

GladRags.com

Well, that puts a whole new spin on "put on your glad rags and we'll paint the town red"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness