U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM

240 posts, read 341,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
particularly during the first 2-3 days when the flow is heavy and the cramps are the worst? whenever i get my period i always wonder how other women deal with the feeling of pain bloatedness, uncomfortableness and heavy flow. Do you girls take at least one day off? take meds? prepare in advance? take some rest?

i'm a baby when it comes to my period. when i can, i take the first day off (in college i would skip class unless absolutely necessary) and try to get some rest . i try to drink plenty of warm fluids and and take a hot bath and curl up in bed and bum around.

what about you all?

I normally take those 2-3 days off from working out (I can't workout/exercise when I cramp). I take Pamprin (2 times a day) and I wear my house dresses on those days the most. I stay home more often on those 2-3 days. And I eat "comfort food" (it's like the only day I can get away with eating junk food and/or food that I love; chili and crackers, mozzarella sticks, chips, and Mexican).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,457,822 times
I have found the diva cup to be a lot cleaner, actually. Once you learn to use it (it took me about two periods to get comfortable with it) it never leaks, and it's super easy to clean and keep sterilized. There's no waste involved, no dirty pads or tampons to deal with.

I do tons of volunteer work and so even though I don't "work" I do spend many hours away from home and often in classroom or office settings. Never had a problem with the diva cup or the glad rags. I use the diva cup on my heavy days - sometimes with a glad rag just for extra reassurance but I haven't had any problems with the diva cup leaking since I figured out how to use it properly - and I use the glad rags on light days. I wash my glad rags with my dirty socks, underwear, towels with a non-chlorine bleach and 7th generation laundry detergent. Super easy. The diva cup comes with instructions on how to keep it clean and sanitized, it's no biggie.

I love things you can reuse and reuse over and over again, and I love saving money. And I also get a little happy everytime we're at the store and I see that huge aisle of pads and tampons and stuff... like "Ha Ha! Suckers!" And I can put that money towards a nice mani/pedi and an earl grey tea latte with a shot or two of vanilla.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,897,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
particularly during the first 2-3 days when the flow is heavy and the cramps are the worst? whenever i get my period i always wonder how other women deal with the feeling of pain bloatedness, uncomfortableness and heavy flow. Do you girls take at least one day off? take meds? prepare in advance? take some rest?

i'm a baby when it comes to my period. when i can, i take the first day off (in college i would skip class unless absolutely necessary) and try to get some rest . i try to drink plenty of warm fluids and and take a hot bath and curl up in bed and bum around.

what about you all?

I have always had severe cramping and heavy periods (pain, nausea, cold/hot, sweating, vomiting, lower back aches etc). I take 4 Ibuprofen about every 4 hours (sometimes I can stretch it to 5 hours) and try to go about my day. I do not take off work when I am on my period otherwise I would miss an awful lot of work considering I have cramps that usually last 5-7 days. BC did nothing for me as far as pain or making the flow less...so I don't even bother taking them.

Last edited by sherrenee; 09-05-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 PM

7,769 posts, read 14,757,625 times
Midol for cramping, bloating, lethargy (I usually only need to take this twice a day for the first 1-2 days)

or

600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for cramping

Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 PM

7,769 posts, read 14,757,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Depo Provera - no more periods, no more cramps that are so bad, I couldn't straighten up, all I need is a shot every 3 months and I'm good.
I wouldn't recommend Depo Provera to my worst enemy. No more periods?!?! I bled/spotted almost daily while I was on it...and I don't even consider that one of the negative side effects!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,107,470 times
Marijuana and/or orgasm are both great for menstrual cramps!
(of course, marijuana is only effective in the states where the medical use of it is legal .... orgasms are effective anywhere in the world )

Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM

20,521 posts, read 27,037,506 times
I am on the pill so no cramping and very light periods. I am very thankful for that.....now if I could just get rid of the bad headache that lasts for a week and the bloating. Nothing seems to help so I deal and try not to get cranky. I am typically a little quieter at that time.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,479,254 times
Since I have been using the Diva Cup, my cramps have lessened significantly, and I have no idea why, nor do I care

Also, once I "got the hang of it," the Diva Cup just made handling my period much less of a burden. It makes period management easier (no more running anywhere for supplies or running out), and thus it makes it easier for me to exercise during my period, which ultimately cuts out cramps the rest of the way for me and makes me feel better.

I only wish I had found reusable menstrual cups earlier!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:18 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,212,337 times
I don't, I just deal with it. Pads, chocolate, and Midol. The old-fashioned way.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:24 PM

861 posts, read 952,572 times
by working out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness