Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM

206 posts, read 768,308 times

Advertisements

particularly during the first 2-3 days when the flow is heavy and the cramps are the worst? whenever i get my period i always wonder how other women deal with the feeling of pain bloatedness, uncomfortableness and heavy flow. Do you girls take at least one day off? take meds? prepare in advance? take some rest?

i'm a baby when it comes to my period. when i can, i take the first day off (in college i would skip class unless absolutely necessary) and try to get some rest . i try to drink plenty of warm fluids and and take a hot bath and curl up in bed and bum around.

what about you all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:35 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Seasonique lo Birth Control pills, I get it for about a day every three months, no bloating, cramps or heavy flows.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Eh, I've been dealing with it for so long I don't do anything in particular, though I tend to think that what you're doing is right. I do get stressed out, so taking care of myself would probably be better. I don't have cramps anymore but I am pretty heavy due to fibroids and I've noticed that if I overdo it I knock some clots loose and make it worse.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,825 times
Ibuprofen and a prayer.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
If a migraine comes, and I can catch it before the pain starts, an alieve will usually ward off the worst of it.

Unfortunately though, I have always had severe cramping and after a tubal ligation, scar tissue pushes against a nerve whenever the first set of contractions (cramps) come. And so it's pretty excruciating, causes explosive bowel movements, sharp searing red-hot poker-dagger-like pain shooting from my womb down my leg and up my spine through my arm. It pulsates for around 20 minutes, then it's gone.

There's nothing I can do about it other than pull over to the side of the road if it happens when I'm driving, or take a break if I'm working, or rock on my side til it subsides.

After that first 20-minute period, the rest of the month is a piece of cake

Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Try feverfew for the migraine. It simply goes away.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
If you have REALLY heavy periods and cramps, make sure you talk to your GYN about it.

I took Alleve or Motrin, and used heating pads when i got mine. They were always very bad, and i missed a lot of days of school and work due to mine. They WERE a lot better when i was on The Pill, but at that time The Pill carried its own risks, so i only stayed on it as long as absolutely necessary.

What my doctor had suggested to me was - as soon as the first signs of cramping came to start on the pain medicine, and stay on it as the dosage says. It will keep the pain from starting.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
What my doctor had suggested to me was - as soon as the first signs of cramping came to start on the pain medicine, and stay on it as the dosage says. It will keep the pain from starting.
That's the best advice I've followed, in the 20+ years I've been dealing with this... the second I feel it coming on, I start on the Advil (usually 3-4 pills at a time) and continue every ~5 hours for the first few days. That seems to help a LOT, and has made things a bit more manageable overall. Also helps that my apartment complex has a hot tub - ahhhhhh.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I will usually get the bleeding before the cramps...if I down 2 Aleve right as I spot the bleeding, I will never get the cramps. If I wait, it's gonna be bad and it's gonna take a long time to get 'em to go away.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Life goes on ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness