Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2021, 12:00 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Having had cataract surgery, everything is so much brighter, it can even be painful at times. I've also had a couple Retina Splits which doesn't help at all. I found out that if you want darker sunglasses, you must get a Waiver.

Currently, I have one pair that is much darker and they're much more comfortable then the sunglasses you buy at a department store, but I had to go to Mexico to get them ordered as there's no restrictions down there.

I just had cataract surgery on my right eye and I just came back from a check on the progress and it's progressing very well, even tho' I'll need a laser treatment on that eye in six weeks as they couldn't remove all the plaque during surgery.

And even then, I'll need a prescription. So i asked about getting a waiver for prescription sunglasses and he wasn't sure if I'd be allowed the waiver or not, for litigation reasons, it depends on the Optometrist I'm schedule to see after the laser treatment.

How about you, have you had a waiver to get darker sunglasses and it was approved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 12:44 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having had cataract surgery, everything is so much brighter, it can even be painful at times. I've also had a couple Retina Splits which doesn't help at all. I found out that if you want darker sunglasses, you must get a Waiver.

Currently, I have one pair that is much darker and they're much more comfortable then the sunglasses you buy at a department store, but I had to go to Mexico to get them ordered as there's no restrictions down there.

I just had cataract surgery on my right eye and I just came back from a check on the progress and it's progressing very well, even tho' I'll need a laser treatment on that eye in six weeks as they couldn't remove all the plaque during surgery.

And even then, I'll need a prescription. So i asked about getting a waiver for prescription sunglasses and he wasn't sure if I'd be allowed the waiver or not, for litigation reasons, it depends on the Optometrist I'm schedule to see after the laser treatment.

How about you, have you had a waiver to get darker sunglasses and it was approved?
Who imposes the restriction on how dark sunglasses can be and what's the reason for that restriction?

If the light sensitivity is temporary post-surgery, maybe all the too-dark sunglasses would do is prolong the problem or leave your eyes even MORE light sensitive than they were before. It might be even harder to build back some tolerance and wean off of them again. Consider:

https://www.axonoptics.com/darkest-s...s-indoors-out/

If the restriction is safety-related while operating a car and daylight/glare is going to distract you that much when you wear "legal" sunglasses, maybe you shouldn't be driving. If you need a vision test in order to renew your license you may not be able to wear overly dark sunglasses while taking it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-15-2021 at 01:29 PM..

Old 09-15-2021, 02:02 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
My vision tester at the Eye Clinic told me that if I were to have an accident due to having darker sunglasses, incredibly, she said that, say Lenscrafters, could be sued and be liable. But how on earth could they prove the darker sunglasses was the culprit?

I just hate the idea of Clip-ons, and that could be done by clipping on another shade to my sunglasses, but I prefer to go the other route.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:55 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
My vision tester at the Eye Clinic told me that if I were to have an accident due to having darker sunglasses, incredibly, she said that, say Lenscrafters, could be sued and be liable. But how on earth could they prove the darker sunglasses was the culprit?

I just hate the idea of Clip-ons, and that could be done by clipping on another shade to my sunglasses, but I prefer to go the other route.
If an accident investigation suspected that your extra dark sunglasses caused you to drive unsafely enough to be ticketed or contributed to an accident, they would probably test to find out how bad your functional vision is while wearing them. If an optician deliberately violates codified lens tint restrictions just for you they could be deemed complicit.

Ah, so a solution to your sunglasses problem does exist. One that wouldn't involve any optician. You just don't like it. Once again, if you get stopped, ticketed or cause an accident those OTC clip ons may land you in legal hot water. Of course, the clip on manufacturer has no control over how people use or misuse what they make, but just like a number of other consumer products that aren't used appropriately, there are people who will try to drag the manufacturer into court anyway because they made a dumb decision.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-15-2021 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-15-2021, 03:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
I didn't need a waiver; but I am blind and it isn't a issue since I don't drive. When I was able to drive I don't recall needing a special waiver (but it has been over 20 years).

Old 09-15-2021, 03:11 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
IF OP doesn't feel safe enough to drive at night.......... (or even daytime?)

Old 09-15-2021, 06:49 PM

326 posts, read 200,804 times
No waiver needed!!!!

Having said that I will tell you that the best sunglasses once your prescription has stabilized will be a grey polarized lens where the backside anti glare and mirror coating on the front.
This is not cheap!!!!!! But well worth it. And even if you have small changes in your prescription you won’t always have to update the prescription. Polarization covers a multitude of sins
Going super dark without the base lens being a polarized lens will interfere with the quality of your vision.
Gray is mandatory even though they may suggest brown for you due to the health of your eyes. The brown would cut the glare but will not be dark enough
Just doing a polarized lens will help with the sensitivity but I suspect it won’t be enough

A lightly wrapped style would also be helpful if your prescription is not too great. Sing through a rap style may take you a day to get used to it

While you wait for your eyes to heal before they can make you a new pair of prescription lenses I would recommend trying a pair of Maui Jim’s. Again they’re not cheap,but there are a few styles under $200.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:07 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:

I've worked as an optician and ophthalmic technician 15 years. I have never heard of needing a waiver for sunglasses. It doesn't exist as far as I know. There are two ways to darken lenses: tint or polarization. Polarization comes in light or dark; nothing else. Tinting can be various darknesses up to 88% and can also be a gradient in which the lens is shaded different darkness levels within the lens. Reading your post below the original one, I can understand your idea about a waiver requirement. Our sue happy country makes some businesses want to CYA everything they do, but you should be able to go to another optical and ask for dark polarization or a super dark tint in your suns without a silly waiver. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2021, 09:20 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
I have a pair of really dark sunglasses that I wear for reading outside. I told my optometrist what I wanted and he wrote up the prescription for a dark tint. No waiver needed to purchase them. No waiver needed to wear them on my deck or at the beach.

However, I don't drive with them. I don't know if some states regulate the darkness of sunglasses tints like they do car window tints or not. You'd have to check with your state's DMV.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:44 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
I ordered some sunglasses from ZeroUV and they are super dark, almost too dark to wear while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness