U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 29,311,246 times

Advertisements

back in 12/2003 i ran a brief flu like illness that lasted for maybe 24-36 hours and went away. nausea, bodyache, lo grade fever, but it went away pretty quick

however for months after that into 2004 i noticed i was very tired and made multiple trips to the bathroom, sometimes as much as 6 or 7 per day, lots of bloating and gas, often greasy stools, informed. this continued

around the holidays of 2004 i developed testicular pain along with this IBS problem and ran a low grade fever for which i was prescribed antibiotics because the prostate was found to be enlarged., i was put on uroxetral (an alpha blocker) which didn't really do anything. the testicular pain went away pretty much

my PSA TEST WAS 0.98, THEN AT ONE TIOME IT WAS 1.65

then in march 2005 my varicose veins (which i developed back in 1987 at age 25) started to feel painful and itchy and swelled up so bad they were like an angry red color. i was admitted to the hospital with a dx of superficial phlebitis and put on an IV antibiotic for 5 days then DC'd.

the testicular pain came back in april. it stayed the entire months then gradually subsided in may, and when it subsided i noticed an uncomfortable sensation in the lower back as the testicular pain lessened

the veins were treated with oral antibiotics even after DC from the hospital

finally the testicular pains started to vanish by the time of Hurricane Katrina in August

by 2006 this pain was longer an issue

in 2007 i was diagnosed as prediabetic and have been on metformin since then

no major issues until June of this year when i noticed testicular pain again, tho not as bad as in 2005. i was urinating frequently and had a slightly sore sensation in the lower back and legs and i noticed some soreness and itching in the varicose veins

when my mom started dying and i went out to take care of her (RIP) the pains went away. now i notice not testicular pain per se, but a sore feeling around the male parts and i also noticed a pain yesterday in one of the varicose veins, tho it's gone today

also yesterday i was partly constipated and when i have this i seem to notice some soreness and itchiness in the veins with a sore sensation in the lower back

my PSA test was 1.36

i read that there is a such thing as non bacterial prostatitis which can mimic bacterial prostatitis as well as prostate cancer

is the PSA of 1.36 any cause for concern? is it possible that my diabetes (a1c is 6.3) is causing little infections?

why the connection between the veins, testicular pain and IBS?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 PM

665 posts, read 1,562,124 times
It"s calcium ! Way too much calcium and not enough magnesium.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 AM

15,870 posts, read 32,927,769 times
Are you talking about a varicocele (varicose vein in *******) or varicose veins in your legs?

I have a varicocele (as do many men) along with IBS, I've never really connected the two though. My varicocele sometimes causes a dull ache in my ******* and down my left leg, it comes and goes and can be brought on by standing for too long or lifting heavy objects.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Well I don't know how to describe a varicocele if it keeps getting deleted. All I can say is it's a varicose vein near the testicles.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Default yes you just brought up something

I forgot to mention. i had a testicular sonogram at the time when the pain was getting a little better (I insisted that the urologist write me an order for a sonogram) and the results showed a hydrocele, which was something like a varicose vein with an area of water. there was no treatment for it

so maybe it's possible all the leg veins and hydrocele just start to swell since they are somewhat related?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:47 PM

A hydrocele isn't a varicose vein like a varicocele is. A hydrocele usually is an accumulation of fluid due to inflammation, sometimes men develop hydroceles after varicocele surgery, for example.

I don't have varicose veins in my legs, but when that varicocele is acting up, the pain actually radiates down my left leg, on really bad days sometimes causing me to limp. I've heard some men say they can feel pain in their hips and lower back. You'll know if you have a varicocele, because it makes a swollen lump (mass of veins) above the testicle, usually on the left side.

Did you get your IBS problem worked out? I started taking Questran and it works wonders for me. I also drink a glass of Metamucil every night, seems to help both ways.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 AM

Default actually

i limited soy products and cut out tofu from my diet and the IBS subsided. haven't had this in years

whenever i ate tofu i had terrible headaches, constant bloating and gas, running to the bathroom as much as 7 times per day to little result

it' pretty much constipation or a "familiar" feeling in the gut that often accompanies the veins/testicular discomfort

i've been constipated the past few days so i've noticed some lower back discomfort, can constipation cause that?

if prostate cancer was a concern would my PSA be much more than 1.36 which was my last reading? i never have had blood or burning during urination

Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,719,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
if prostate cancer was a concern would my PSA be much more than 1.36 which was my last reading? i never have had blood or burning during urination
The PSA test can vary. 1.36 is not that high. What you would look for would be a continued upward trend or a larger jump. And there are not usually any symptoms of prostate cancer until it is more advanced. Also, an infection can cause the PSA to rise.

Next time you have your PSA tested, do the following (which many doctors do not tell you.)

Do not ride a bike or exercise 72 hours prior to test.
Do not ejaculate 72 hours prior to test.
Ask your doctor to have the blood taken first, prior to DRE test. There is some evidence that having the DRE first can increase PSA slightly. Although your doctor may not agree.

Are you seeing a Urologist? If not, you should be for your prostate problems.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Default I did see a urologist

in 2005 when i had these symptoms. no testicular tumors, no bladder issues, even the prostate was not enlarged(despite the symptoms) after the bacterial infection went away in 2004.

urologist said it was pelvic floor dysfunction (prostadynia)

what does DRE stand for? I forgot

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,719,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
in 2005 when i had these symptoms. no testicular tumors, no bladder issues, even the prostate was not enlarged(despite the symptoms) after the bacterial infection went away in 2004.

urologist said it was pelvic floor dysfunction (prostadynia)

what does DRE stand for? I forgot
DRE = Digital (finger) Rectal Exam

Rirl, there are things that can cause testicular pain such as neuropathy (nerve damage) from diabetes, kidney stones or hernias. It can be a referred pain, coming from somewhere else in your body.

You mentioned you have varicose veins, do you have enlarged veins in the testes, as this can also cause pain.

Is your Urologist continuing to look for the source of this pain, or has he thrown up his hands and say don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness