U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM

7,769 posts, read 17,218,414 times

Advertisements

suzy_q2010 wrote:
If all you need is readers, those are really cheap.
I do wear readers most of the time for close up work, and on ocassion I wear the pinholes. Like I mentioned previously, the pinhole glasses really make my eyes feel good.The readers don't provide that benefit. Since I had the catarract surgery, the only glasses I use for distance vision are sunglasses to protect my eyes from the sun when I'm outdoors.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:56 AM

15,678 posts, read 14,156,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
......... You may see clearly, but miss seeing the bozo who is about to run the red light and t-bone your car.......
OMG....you cracked me up! LMAO!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:50 AM

3,425 posts, read 3,485,558 times
suzy_q2010 - Why are you so against people trying them out? It is better for maybe 2 or 3 people to have better eyesight after they have tried pinhole glasses than for everyone to just do as they are told and shutup and wear prescription glasses. What is your beef with them? I dont understand?

Quote:
They are not effective at all in changing the underlying eye problem.
Well, one person - you say they are not, but others have reported that they do. How can you say that they do not help anyone at all? This is not true, since we have circumstancial evidence to prove the contrary. At least SOME people find a benefit from using them.

Quote:
Wearing pinhole glasses will not change the shape of the eye.
I did not say that wearing pinhole glasses would cause the shape of the eyeball to change did I?. Like a polititian, you are twisting the content to suit your agenda.

Quote:
The glasses only work when you wear them. They do not "strengthen" the muscles that change the shape of the lens.
Of course, the glasses themselves do not do this.
However, the EFFECT they have is said to allow the wearing of prescription glasses less often.
Yes, it is circumstancial evidence. That means people have tried wearing them and they have found that it worked for them and allowed them to use their glasses less or to have weaker prescriptions from the optician.
You can deny it until you are blue in the face, but this is what I have read some people are reporting. I realise you dont like it, but why would they lie? Surely the whole point of this exercise is to make people better and more healthy NOT to prove who is right and who is wrong. Try to look at it that way and ANYTHING which allows people to have power over their own bodies and health is good.

Quote:
What "authorities"? What "medical companies"? What "circumstantial evidence"?
Until someone (not connected with proving this either way) pays for a proper research project, we will just have to go on circumstancial evidence and hearsay, wont we? It is probably more relevant than an experts opinion because it deals with real-life examples rather than what an expert thinks should or ought happen.

Quote:
Placebo effectiveness varies, depending on the condition being treated. Taking a placebo for strep throat rather than penicillin would not be a very good idea. And you are way off on the effectiveness of chemo. Again, it depends on the cancer being treated. For some conditions it is near 100%.
Of course placebo effectiveness varies - because we are all different and since we are dealing with the power of the mind with placebo effects, we each have different abilities to effect out bodies and health. No, I am not way off in the effectiveness of chemotherapy as I know a VP in the business and this is what they said. Why would they make the effectiveness LESS than what it really is? Now... if you would care to point us to double-blind studies which discount what they said, then we can all make a judgement on the matter. Again, it would have to be an independent piece of research. Which cancers have near 100% effectiveness being treated by chemotherapy?

Quote:
Do you have any evidence that wearing glasses "weakens" anyone's eyes?
It is a conclusion I have drawn because people I know who begin to wear glasses generally progress to stronger prescriptions. Is that not the case?

Quote:
And aren't pinhole glasses --- glasses? Do you get them for free, or does someone actually sell them to you --- to make a profit?
haha so funny. The glasses without lenses little kids put on the dress up are called 'glasses' so what? Yes, most things cost money to buy. In my mind, glasses and frames are very overpriced and there is a big con associated with different shaped lenses fitting different frames. But, of course, if people have to pay these prices, then they will to get their prescriptions fulfilled.

Quote:
The pinhole glasses only work while you are wearing them. To wear them so you do not have to wear glasses does not work You will still need your glasses
Not according to some reports, no, this is incorrect. Yes, the glasses are supposed to 'train' your eyes to manage better on their own (I wont keep on repeating the bit about "for certain conditions only" OK?) As a result it is reported that some people can stop wearing glasses because their eyesight has improved that much. It does not mean everyone can throw away their glasses, but you may be the lucky one who has a condition that it helps significantly.

Quote:
...but the effect goes away as soon as you take them off.
Reportedly, no, it stays for a while and the longer you spend wearing them a little each day, the longer the effect will last.

Quote:
You may see clearly, but miss seeing the bozo who is about to run the red light and t-bone your car.
there you go again... I said that people should not wear them for driving or operating machinery etc.

Quote:
Prescription glasses need not be expensive. A lot of the cost is in the frames.
yes, thats the thing. Judgement on whether something is expensive is relative to your income.

As I have said before, I am not selling these things, and neither is any relative or friend that I know selling them, so I really dont care (financially) whether people try these or not.

I would just like to see some honesty and integrity in the medical professions and if something works which is cheaper and easier and it works for some people (and by definition, not for others), then medical people should point out things which are alternatives to taking poisons and slowly destroying our bodies.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 AM

943 posts, read 1,599,857 times
I have heard many people swear that taking the supplement MSM has boosted their eyesight..

Old 09-05-2011, 02:42 AM

25,191 posts, read 30,059,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
suzy_q2010 - Why are you so against people trying them out? It is better for maybe 2 or 3 people to have better eyesight after they have tried pinhole glasses than for everyone to just do as they are told and shutup and wear prescription glasses. What is your beef with them? I dont understand?
They do not do what you claim they do.

Repeating the link:

Marketers Withdraw False and Unsubstantiated Claims About “Pinhole” Eyeglasses

"In fact, the FTC complaints say, contrary to the defendants' representations:
  • the use of pinhole eyeglasses does not result in long-term vision improvement in these vision problems;
  • pinhole eyeglasses do not cure, correct or ameliorate specific vision problems;
  • they are not an adequate substitute for prescription lenses or contact lenses; and
  • the defendants' eye-exercise programs do not strengthen muscles or improve vision; nor do they reduce or eliminate the need for prescription lenses."

Quote:
Well, one person - you say they are not, but others have reported that they do. How can you say that they do not help anyone at all? This is not true, since we have circumstancial evidence to prove the contrary. At least SOME people find a benefit from using them.
Who are these people who claim to benefit? People giving testimonials in advertisements?

Quote:
I did not say that wearing pinhole glasses would cause the shape of the eyeball to change did I?. Like a polititian, you are twisting the content to suit your agenda.
Because in order for pinhole glasses to treat nearsightedness and farsightedness, they would have to alter the shape of the eyeball.

Nearsightedness (Myopia)-Cause
Farsightedness (Hyperopia)-Cause

Quote:
Of course, the glasses themselves do not do this.
However, the EFFECT they have is said to allow the wearing of prescription glasses less often.
Yes, it is circumstancial evidence. That means people have tried wearing them and they have found that it worked for them and allowed them to use their glasses less or to have weaker prescriptions from the optician.
You can deny it until you are blue in the face, but this is what I have read some people are reporting. I realise you dont like it, but why would they lie? Surely the whole point of this exercise is to make people better and more healthy NOT to prove who is right and who is wrong. Try to look at it that way and ANYTHING which allows people to have power over their own bodies and health is good.

Until someone (not connected with proving this either way) pays for a proper research project, we will just have to go on circumstancial evidence and hearsay, wont we? It is probably more relevant than an experts opinion because it deals with real-life examples rather than what an expert thinks should or ought happen.
"Real life examples" do not prove that a medical treatment works.

Show me a single person that has a test before using the glasses that documents nearsightedness and a test afterwards that shows that it has gone away.

Quote:
Of course placebo effectiveness varies - because we are all different and since we are dealing with the power of the mind with placebo effects, we each have different abilities to effect out bodies and health. No, I am not way off in the effectiveness of chemotherapy as I know a VP in the business and this is what they said. Why would they make the effectiveness LESS than what it really is? Now... if you would care to point us to double-blind studies which discount what they said, then we can all make a judgement on the matter. Again, it would have to be an independent piece of research. Which cancers have near 100% effectiveness being treated by chemotherapy?
Among others, acute lymphocytic leukemia (a childhood leukemia) and testicular cancer are nearly 100% curable

Quote:
It is a conclusion I have drawn because people I know who begin to wear glasses generally progress to stronger prescriptions. Is that not the case?
See the links above. The prescription changes because the shape of the eye changes through childhood and adolescence. Many adults find the prescription changes very little until they get older. Then the lens stiffens and people who are nearsighted will need bifocals. People who are not either near or farsighted need reading glasses.

Quote:
haha so funny. The glasses without lenses little kids put on the dress up are called 'glasses' so what? Yes, most things cost money to buy. In my mind, glasses and frames are very overpriced and there is a big con associated with different shaped lenses fitting different frames. But, of course, if people have to pay these prices, then they will to get their prescriptions fulfilled.
Single vision glasses are cheap. Much of the price is the frames. Get cheap frames. You can buy online. Obviously, you have to get lenses that will fit the frames you choose. There is no "con" involved.

Quote:
Not according to some reports, no, this is incorrect. Yes, the glasses are supposed to 'train' your eyes to manage better on their own (I wont keep on repeating the bit about "for certain conditions only" OK?) As a result it is reported that some people can stop wearing glasses because their eyesight has improved that much. It does not mean everyone can throw away their glasses, but you may be the lucky one who has a condition that it helps significantly.
No, you cannot "train" anything to improve any refractive disorder for which glasses are prescribed.

Quote:
Reportedly, no, it stays for a while and the longer you spend wearing them a little each day, the longer the effect will last.
Not true.

Quote:
there you go again... I said that people should not wear them for driving or operating machinery etc.
So you still need prescription lenses to wear while driving or operating machinery.

Quote:
As I have said before, I am not selling these things, and neither is any relative or friend that I know selling them, so I really dont care (financially) whether people try these or not.

I would just like to see some honesty and integrity in the medical professions and if something works which is cheaper and easier and it works for some people (and by definition, not for others), then medical people should point out things which are alternatives to taking poisons and slowly destroying our bodies.
But it does not work for anyone. It is physically impossible for pinhole glasses to permanently correct nearsightedness or farsightedness.

CosmicWizard likes his pinhole glasses, but if he has a significant refractive error, I doubt he would want to try to pass the eye test for his driver's license without prescription lenses.

If you do not sell them, why are you so passionate about them?

They are a waste of money if you think you are going to wear pinhole glasses and never need prescription lenses again.

If you want to permanently get rid of glasses, you will need a surgical procedure.

Reading glasses are cheaper than pinhole glasses, from the prices I see on the internet, and you can get cheap single vision glasses online, too. So your idea that prescription lenses are more expensive does not hold water.

And I have never heard of anyone being poisoned or slowly destroyed by prescription glasses.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,913,059 times
ONCE AGAIN WE HAVE AN ARGUMENT BEWEEN 2 POSTERS AND THE THREAD HAS LOST ITS USEFULNESS. cLOSED.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness