Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 02:21 PM

240 posts, read 419,978 times

Advertisements

I get cravings for salty, cheesy, high caloric foods a few hours after my workout (like about 3-4 hours after).

Why does this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Probably because you're hungry. You really shouldn't go more than that amount of time before eating something anyway. Go ahead and have a slice of cheese and then drink a glass of water. If you like crunchy have a handful of almonds. Just stay away from large concentrations of carbs as they have a way of making you hungry again sooner. If you're going to eat a bunch of carbs do so before you work out.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
You might consider what CAV said about limiting your bigger carb intakes to your pre-workout hour. And also, I'd suggest having some protein within a half hour after you've finished your workout. A little carbs is fine, if it's just a "placeholder" for your proteins. Such as - a tablespoon of peanutbutter and half a sliced banana on a piece of wheat bread. Or half a rye bagel with chopped liver smeared on it (it's an acquired taste but don't pooh pooh it - some of us love the stuff). Or a fresh made steak taco from an authentic taqueria with no extras (just cilantro and onion and little cubes of seasoned steak). Or the ever-popular smoothie with protein powder, strawberries, yoghurt, ice, bananas, and whatever other fruits or veggies your fitness club thinks is fun to shove in a blender.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Or the ever-popular smoothie with protein powder, strawberries, yoghurt, ice, bananas, and whatever other fruits or veggies your fitness club thinks is fun to shove in a blender.

Ohhh I love these. Make them at home all the time!

OP- If you are sweating alot during your exercise, it's your body's way of telling you what it needs to replenish itself.

Gatorade is great for its electrolyte and sodium (etc.) content.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Gatorade is great for its electrolyte and sodium (etc.) content.
But not so great for its high sugar content. Most people don't need gatorade and would do better drinking water.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
I'm thinking that the craving for salt is an electrolyte imbalance / deficiency.
Drink plenty of water before and after your workout and use something like emergen-c replace electrolytes lost.
I think that the high carb craving is a need for quick energy.
Consider eating a protein bar before your work out ... one that has a good balance of protein, carbs and fats.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But not so great for its high sugar content. Most people don't need gatorade and would do better drinking water.
But if the OP is craving & consuming high calorie snacks afterwards, something like Gatorade (or emergen-c, as jaijai suggested) can easily replenish what's lost with a significantly lower caloric intake.

*If sugar content is a problem, a quick fix for that is mixing 1/2 Gatorade with 1/2 water. Or the low calorie Gatorade G2.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:10 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,470 times
I always crave roasted, unsalted peanuts. About a handful usually does the trick. Sometimes I'll add some raisins to it. My workouts are light these days because I'm in my "lazy" mode. I have no excuse for it. It is what it is.

But even after a 20 minute walk I drink tons of water and have a handful of peanuts. I think the trick is to eat your munchie right away while your body is still in the "burn" mode. If you wait longer, your body might not want to burn it off as quickly. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness