U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Catonsville, MD
2,358 posts, read 5,571,549 times
Reputation: 1687

Advertisements

My mom took fairly high doses of Aleve for several years for severe back pain. Her doctors (and my husband and I) warned her about potential stomach bleeding, but she said she would rather have a stomach bleed than deal with the back pain.

Last year, she had an intestinal blockage (not related to Aleve at all.) She had surgery and then went to a nursing rehab place to recover. She was not eating much at all, but she was asking for (and receiving) the absolute maximum of Aleve, as well as narcotic pain killers (her incision for her surgery was HUGE and left open - in addition to her back hurting worse due to having to lie on her back continually.)

A week after she arrived at the nursing home, I discovered when I tried to call her that she had been rushed to the hospital after vomiting blood all night long. She almost died in the ER, but survived. They thought they had stopped the bleed, but 2 days later, it began again. They rushed her to surgery for the second time in 2 weeks, and miraculously, she did not die. She had numerous other medical problems in the 6 weeks in the hospital that followed, including a third major abdominal surgery. She is confined to a nursing home now. The only good thing: she no longer has back pain.

We cannot prove that the Aleve caused the stomach bleed, but she had no previous ulcer problems at all. She wasn't eating much and she was taking copious amounts of Aleve. The chances are pretty good that's what caused it.

Other than death, this is about the worst case scenario from taking too much Aleve. I used to also take a lot of Aleve (not as much as my mom did, but definitely more than I was supposed to.) I no longer take it like that. Maybe 1 tablet a week, if that. I try to take tylenol much more frequently. I have seen what Aleve can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A bloody nose seems like an unusual reaction to it after only two tablets. It says on the box that if you take a blood thinning drug while you're taking Naproxen the chance is higher of having bleeding. Is your blood thinner than usual?
I'm a natural bleeder - I don't have any clotting "illness" but it does tend to run awhile longer than most before it finally clots up on its own. It's nothing I have to take meds or be monitored for, and surgeries need no special preps. I don't bruise easily but it takes a little longer for my bruises to fade. That's the extent of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 PM
 
23,887 posts, read 17,902,918 times
Reputation: 10168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I took 2 Aleve every morning starting when they came out until last year. I have a bad back and sometimes I would take another at night. So maybe15-20 years? Can't remember. No problems at all. I had to stop after a gastric bypass. I can take Tylenol but since I lost so much, my back doesn't hurt like it used to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Well, whether it was 15 or 20 years, that's a long time. I'm glad your back doesn't bother you as much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 03:19 PM
 
23,887 posts, read 17,902,918 times
Reputation: 10168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm a natural bleeder - I don't have any clotting "illness" but it does tend to run awhile longer than most before it finally clots up on its own. It's nothing I have to take meds or be monitored for, and surgeries need no special preps. I don't bruise easily but it takes a little longer for my bruises to fade. That's the extent of it.
Make sure you're getting enough vitamin K which helps with clotting. I would say get lots of vitamin C for the bruises, but it doesn't seem to help me. My bruises take longer to heal than I think they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Make sure you're getting enough vitamin K which helps with clotting. I would say get lots of vitamin C for the bruises, but it doesn't seem to help me. My bruises take longer to heal than I think they should.
I apply essential oil of rose geranium for bruises if they're either really unsightly, or very painful. It gets rid of them within just a day or two.

I can't do anything about my "thin" blood because I have a hereditary clotting factor, which can actually -cause- blood clots if it chooses to bless me with its presence some day. At that point, I'll have to take welbutrin to thin my blood even more. So I'm leaving well enough alone for now. Two bloody noses 2 days in a row, after decades of no bloody noses, and it's easy to just decide not to take 2 alieves in a 24-hour period.

My sister and I have a deal - she gets stuck with the systemic issues, I get the skeletal issues. So far, so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM
 
23,887 posts, read 17,902,918 times
Reputation: 10168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
My mom took fairly high doses of Aleve for several years for severe back pain. Her doctors (and my husband and I) warned her about potential stomach bleeding, but she said she would rather have a stomach bleed than deal with the back pain.

Last year, she had an intestinal blockage (not related to Aleve at all.) She had surgery and then went to a nursing rehab place to recover. She was not eating much at all, but she was asking for (and receiving) the absolute maximum of Aleve, as well as narcotic pain killers (her incision for her surgery was HUGE and left open - in addition to her back hurting worse due to having to lie on her back continually.)

A week after she arrived at the nursing home, I discovered when I tried to call her that she had been rushed to the hospital after vomiting blood all night long. She almost died in the ER, but survived. They thought they had stopped the bleed, but 2 days later, it began again. They rushed her to surgery for the second time in 2 weeks, and miraculously, she did not die. She had numerous other medical problems in the 6 weeks in the hospital that followed, including a third major abdominal surgery. She is confined to a nursing home now. The only good thing: she no longer has back pain.

We cannot prove that the Aleve caused the stomach bleed, but she had no previous ulcer problems at all. She wasn't eating much and she was taking copious amounts of Aleve. The chances are pretty good that's what caused it.

Other than death, this is about the worst case scenario from taking too much Aleve. I used to also take a lot of Aleve (not as much as my mom did, but definitely more than I was supposed to.) I no longer take it like that. Maybe 1 tablet a week, if that. I try to take tylenol much more frequently. I have seen what Aleve can do.
I'm sorry about your mom. You do have to be careful about taking any medication or drug. Is her confinement to the nursing home permanent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM
 
1 posts, read 7,543 times
Reputation: 10
I've taken up to 7-10 aleve in one day for a tooth ache and im fine. My doctor has told me that aleve is better than some prescription pain meds. Im sure you'll be fine just talk to your doctor about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM
 
5,343 posts, read 11,510,579 times
Reputation: 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I apply essential oil of rose geranium for bruises if they're either really unsightly, or very painful. It gets rid of them within just a day or two.

I can't do anything about my "thin" blood because I have a hereditary clotting factor, which can actually -cause- blood clots if it chooses to bless me with its presence some day. At that point, I'll have to take welbutrin to thin my blood even more. So I'm leaving well enough alone for now. Two bloody noses 2 days in a row, after decades of no bloody noses, and it's easy to just decide not to take 2 alieves in a 24-hour period.

My sister and I have a deal - she gets stuck with the systemic issues, I get the skeletal issues. So far, so good.
Wellbutrin is an antidepressant often used as smoking cessation aid, won't do much good for you as a "blood thinner"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Wellbutrin is an antidepressant often used as smoking cessation aid, won't do much good for you as a "blood thinner"
Yeah I confused it with warfarin. Two meds, each 3 syllables, each starting with W, each ending in "in". Warfarin is what I meant. Coumadin is the brand name, which I may or may not have spelled right as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
 
599 posts, read 1,228,904 times
Reputation: 667
I cannot take Aleve (Naprosyn sodium). For some strange reason, it gives me scary heart palpitations and tachycardia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top