Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,716,763 times

Advertisements

Yes, I went off ibuprofen for some months but with this infection and knee mess, I'm back on. And deal with all the side effects from the narcotics I took from the MD's. I'd LOVE to take no pain meds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 05:33 PM

14,924 posts, read 12,116,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Orthopedic MD's advice regarding my knee arthritis and meniscus issues: "Take Aleve, three tabs a day."

Me: "Say what! Even the manufacturer prescribes one every twelve hours. Besides, it has caused stomach issues in the past."

Ortho doc: "Take 'em anyway. Maybe they won't cause stomach issues this time."

And so I did. Good news: No stomach issues after two days. Bad news: Systolic blood pressure zoomed to 160 after two days. Usually in the 120s.

No more Aleve. Instead I devised a self-imposed and very rigorous rehab program featuring Xiser, elliptical, and rebounder. Knees are well enough to do chores and the left one is asymptomatic. Hopefully the next flare up won't occur until fall-winter after the growing season. Knock on wood.
The manufacturer's instructions for Aleve state that up to 3 tabs can be taken a day. Although the instructions are to take one tab every 8 hrs as needed, they suggest an option of taking two tabs to start with, and one tab 8-12 hrs later if needed.

I take Aleve as needed (only need it occasionally), for various joint pains from overactivity, chronic issues with bursitis in one shoulder, and for the knee pain I get sometimes ( history of torn meniscus). I've always found that taking two tabs at once, along with rest, ice (or Biofreeze/Cryoderm as I have these) do a great job of taking care of the pain, and most often I have not needed the third tablet.

But I am careful not to take Aleve on an empty stomach, as it causes me a great deal of pain if I do. I either take the Aleve after a meal, or I have a snack before I take it if I need it and it's between meals. Fortunately that has worked for me.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,219,977 times
I take two Aleve each evening for arthritic pain/swelling. It works great for that, but I have lately experienced an increase in blood pressure. Wondering if that's why.

I have a physically active job in my late years (71), and without the Aleve I can become disabled due to back pain and foot pain. I had this problem a year ago after I had to go off of it for about three weeks due to a couple minor surgeries. It took another couple weeks on the Aleve before the pains really went away again.

I've gotta ask my doc what he thinks.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:08 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,716,763 times
I'd wager the aleve is elevating blood pressure. Check the sodium content in the tablets. I know aches and pains and thank goodness I'm retired and things all got worse for me in my 60's...I'm headed to 79.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:05 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,218,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'd wager the aleve is elevating blood pressure. Check the sodium content in the tablets. I know aches and pains and thank goodness I'm retired and things all got worse for me in my 60's...I'm headed to 79.
Again with the sodium reference....why don't YOU check the sodium content...

Does Aleve contain sodium (salt)?
Each Aleve tablet, caplet, gelcap and liquid gel capsule contains 20 mg of sodium and is classified as "low sodium" under FDA guidelines.
https://www.aleve.com/faq/ingredients/

Considering the recommended daily intake of sodium is less than 2300 mg per day, 20 mg does not even qualify as a drop in the bucket...

The mechanism by which NSAID's may elevate BP has NOTHING to do with the sodium content of the tablets..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness