U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
 
23,838 posts, read 17,838,666 times
Reputation: 10134

Advertisements

Has anyone here had any side effects such as stomach ulcers, or severe stomach bleeding from taking Aleve for much longer than the recommended period? I'm finishing up a 24 caplets bottle, at two per day for a twelve day period. The box says to stop after 10 days if pain continues.

I'm trying to manage the pain and inflamation from what is probably shoulder Bursitis or tendonitis. I have also lost a great deal of range of motion. I would like to continue taking another 24 caplets for another 12 days, combined with frequent ice applications.

I just don't want to experience any stomach problems. So does anyone here take Aleve on a regular basis without experiencing any side effects?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: USA
8 posts, read 18,852 times
Reputation: 10
I've noticed slight stomach pain but nothing serious!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
 
23,838 posts, read 17,838,666 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadonthread View Post
I've noticed slight stomach pain but nothing serious!
Are you taking it on a regular ongoing basis?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 37,835,456 times
Reputation: 20198
I've only taken 2 in a single day, twice. I experienced an unexpected phenomenon the next day after each time: I'd have to bend to tie my shoes, or pick something up, and my nose would start gushing blood. It stopped within seconds but it was pretty scary. Other than a car accident when I was 20, I hadn't had a nosebleed in around 40 years (when I was a kid). There was no pain with the nosebleeds, it just - started pouring out, and then stopped again.

I've never taken more than one in a day's time since. I -do- take them for migraines on occasion, and I've discovered my hip pain isn't as severe when I work (standing up), if I take one before I get to work the day that I have a shift longer than 5 hours. That seems to be the point when the pain becomes less tolerable.

Naproxen irritated my sister's ulcer so now she has to avoid it plus any aspirin products entirely.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347
Frequently, I take 2 twice a day but not consistently for weeks on end....but no side effects for me.

If you do continue using it in this way, at least take with food or eat prior to dosing....

Or: you could visit your MD for prescription strength anti-inflammatory med or even possible cortisone injections....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,019 posts, read 10,921,885 times
Reputation: 8926
I had a bad injury in 2002 and have suffered chronic pain ever since. My son and his wife are both DR.s and she is a pain specialist. She recommened to me that I ALTERNATE PAINKILLERS and that is what I do and it works well. One day aleve and I always take 2 of them, the next day tylonal the next ibruprophen an so on. I have never had any side effects in amost 8 years of doing that except for a slight ringing in my ears sometimes. That's when I know to switch to tylonal. For the first 2 years after my injury I took oxycontin. Bad move that was. I got totally addicted to it and you have to keep increasing the dose to get the pain relief you need. It kills pain alright but it also makes you crazy and half stoned all the time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM
 
23,838 posts, read 17,838,666 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've only taken 2 in a single day, twice. I experienced an unexpected phenomenon the next day after each time: I'd have to bend to tie my shoes, or pick something up, and my nose would start gushing blood. It stopped within seconds but it was pretty scary. Other than a car accident when I was 20, I hadn't had a nosebleed in around 40 years (when I was a kid). There was no pain with the nosebleeds, it just - started pouring out, and then stopped again.

I've never taken more than one in a day's time since. I -do- take them for migraines on occasion, and I've discovered my hip pain isn't as severe when I work (standing up), if I take one before I get to work the day that I have a shift longer than 5 hours. That seems to be the point when the pain becomes less tolerable.

Naproxen irritated my sister's ulcer so now she has to avoid it plus any aspirin products entirely.
A bloody nose seems like an unusual reaction to it after only two tablets. It says on the box that if you take a blood thinning drug while you're taking Naproxen the chance is higher of having bleeding. Is your blood thinner than usual?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 PM
 
23,838 posts, read 17,838,666 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Frequently, I take 2 twice a day but not consistently for weeks on end....but no side effects for me.

If you do continue using it in this way, at least take with food or eat prior to dosing....

Or: you could visit your MD for prescription strength anti-inflammatory med or even possible cortisone injections....
Yes, I do take with food or at least with a large glass of water.

I may end up having to go to a doctor. I don't have one, but I suppose that I could go to a clinic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
 
23,838 posts, read 17,838,666 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I had a bad injury in 2002 and have suffered chronic pain ever since. My son and his wife are both DR.s and she is a pain specialist. She recommened to me that I ALTERNATE PAINKILLERS and that is what I do and it works well. One day aleve and I always take 2 of them, the next day tylonal the next ibruprophen an so on. I have never had any side effects in amost 8 years of doing that except for a slight ringing in my ears sometimes. That's when I know to switch to tylonal. For the first 2 years after my injury I took oxycontin. Bad move that was. I got totally addicted to it and you have to keep increasing the dose to get the pain relief you need. It kills pain alright but it also makes you crazy and half stoned all the time.
I'm sorry you have a chronic pain problem. I know what it's like. I have frequent pain in my left upper back which I usually treat by rolling around on a tennis ball. It really helps. But I doubt it would work for an inflamed shoulder.

The alternating between painkillers sounds like a good idea. I'm glad it works for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
Reputation: 19182
I took 2 Aleve every morning starting when they came out until last year. I have a bad back and sometimes I would take another at night. So maybe15-20 years? Can't remember. No problems at all. I had to stop after a gastric bypass. I can take Tylenol but since I lost so much, my back doesn't hurt like it used to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top