Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 40,472 times

Advertisements

My dad has ganglion cysts in his ankle. He has had them for a long time now. And he's had them drained - had surgery 3 times and it KEEPS coming back. My dads latest surgery was a little over a month ago. And he was in surgery for 8 hours. And my dad just went to the doctor today and found out he has 3 new ones. And he is at his wits end - he came home and started to cry. And that is a big deal because I have only seen my dad cry once in my life.

I was hoping someone here could either - tell me how to stop them from forming. Or give me a name of a great doctor that can make it stop.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
So sorry your dad is going through this.

First of all, ganglion cysts are totally benign. That is a good thing.

But they do tend to recur. That's very discouraging.

I think that the question he needs to answer is how much the symptoms bother him. If the answer is "not too much," then one option is to leave them alone for a while.

An eight hour surgery for a ganglion cyst sounds like a lot. Did he use a podiatrist? Orthopedist? How experienced is the surgeon? He may want to ask for referral to a faculty orthopedist at a medical center for a second opinion.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 PM

The cysts are right up against his nerve in his foot - so he *constantly* hurts. I am 95% sure he was a ortho surgeon. And he was supposed to be really good - my dad had two other doctors before this and we had good hopes with this latest doctor but they came back again.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
That is a real bummer.

What did his current doc suggest?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 PM

From what my dad said when he came home - he could go in for his 4th surgery, have the doctors just keep draining the cyst - or deal with it. He doesn't want to do surgery again - he can't do it. But the last time he got them drained the pain was worse after. =\

Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I don't know if this will help much but mom used to get them for awhile and then they just quit coming. I'm glad b/c now I'm getting them. They don't hurt but my fingers sure look witchy. I noticed after I began taking fish oil that they seem to be shrinking a bit but it's really too soon to tell. I will not be getting surgery but I'm tempted to lance one sometimes but am afraid that it would be too painful after doing that--sort of like popping a blister.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 AM

How much fish oil are you taking?

Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I had one on my wrist for several years, then one day I looked down to read a menu in a restaurant and it was gone! Never felt a thing. That's been several years ago and it hasn't came back (knock wood).

Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 8,297 times
I have a ganglion cyst in my ankle and I have found that it helps to wrap it and switch between ice and a heating pad

Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I don't know if this will help much but mom used to get them for awhile and then they just quit coming. I'm glad b/c now I'm getting them. They don't hurt but my fingers sure look witchy. I noticed after I began taking fish oil that they seem to be shrinking a bit but it's really too soon to tell. I will not be getting surgery but I'm tempted to lance one sometimes but am afraid that it would be too painful after doing that--sort of like popping a blister.
Update on this story. The fish oil did not help that much but hard to say since I'm inconsistent about taking it. The long and short is that the cyst broke open and drained and it wasn't too gross--just clear fluid like a blister but thicker. That would have been fine but it healed over and grew again and busted open and drained and healed and grew and . . . fearing infection I went to a surgeon and had it removed. That was this past summer and it doesn't seem to be growing back. It made me feel funny to think that if this had been in the pre-antibiotic days that I would probably not still be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness